Got rearended what to do next?

Sithor

Registered
Hi not many know me on here cause I haven't posted much however I currently have an '04 Hayabusa LE that I've owned since May of 2005. I have always taken care of it and it's my pride and joy. The bike is in great condition and has almost 16,000 pampered miles on it. I was recently sitting at a stoplight where a Ford Edge tried to swerve and miss me but still ended up catching my right exhaust and the brushed a little paint on my tail fairing. My leg got caught in it and has some road rash, it seemed it was all done by his left front tire as he tried to miss me.

Well the bracket that is welded to the muffler was bent and the insurance company is only paying for a buff on the paint. So I'm a bit upset that they only cut me a check in the amount of $704. Especially after my bike has been sitting in the shop for over a week and a half. The accident occurred on April 6th. The Ford Edge drive was of course at fault. I just got back from the orthopedic clinic yesterday. He said my leg should heal fine but it still has quite a bit of bruising. When I walk it feels like jello. I feel as if I'm getting taken advantage of as my employer insurance company has been paying for everything. Allstate hasn't really stepped up and their policy holder struck me. I'm not sure what to do next.

find yourself a good Lawyer...and go after the insurance co if they dont make things right for ya...

That's a pathetic representation.

You need someone who knows what to demand from the insured's coverage, and get all over it.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Check around. There are numerous motorcycle accident attorneys who operate on a contingency basis. I got rear-ended on my 06LE and used a legal firm in LA to represent me.

Trust me when I tell you I got a hell of a lot more money than $704.

Absurd.

I was going too but then one of my buddies who was in a wreck was offered $45,000 for pain and suffering. He got a lawyer and now it's been two years later. He's settling for $38,000 and the lawyer is getting a third of that. I don't want to draw this out. She already said they will be offering me something. What is a reasonable offer to accept? I would say I maybe have about $3,000 in medical bills and then the $704 for my bike. The funny thing is my own insurance company also did an estimate on my bike and it was around $3,000 but they were going to replace the whole exhaust system instead of just the right muffler.

Most exhaust systems are sold only in pairs. In many cases, you cannot purchase only the left or right side. You'll have to look into that.

Unfortunately, if you want the representation, you're going to have to let the system run it's course. It's a drag, but that's the way it is...I'm sorry to report.

I would tell the insurance company of the guy who hit you that you want the bike repaired to your insurance company's estimate, that you want all your medical expenses paid for (so your employer's insurance doesn't take the loss), and something (you'll have to figure that out) for your loss/pain/anguish/suffering/stress/time off from work.

Tell them that's a minimum, or you're going to pursue it through legal channels. That'll usually get them to settle faster.

Good luck, yo. It's an ugly situation, but after awhile, you can put it behind you. Rest assured...I keep my eyes as much in the rear-view as forward when I'm at stop signs and lights.

Amazing how we acclimate to our surroundings based on our experiences.

All the best,

Scar

I don't believe in using lawyers where I live. They rip off the victims. I was rearended last year on my 06 busa and the bike was totaled. I suffered a torn acl out of the accident. I got $25,000.00 for pain and suffering alone!!!!! Since you have seen the doctor, do you feel pain in your leg? If you do you are still entitled for them to pay you for pain and suffering, bike damages and hospital bills. You should get paid for a helmet damage, jacket damage, glove damage.

THAT IS TOTAL BULLSH!T

Don't take that as the end of the story. Dispute it with Allstate. Get your own crash estimates, and submit them. Try and work it out with them before resorting to legal assistance. Let them know that they work for YOU, not the other way around.

Make certain that any out of pocket expenses (deductbles, etc.) are reimbursed by the sh!thead that hit you.

I have been down this road, like many others here. Don't make the same mistakes that I made. Watch out for number 1, brother. Nobody else will, when it comes to incidents like this.

I had a similar incident. Insurance offered me $800 for $25000 worth of hospital bills -knee surgery. I got an attorney & handled up. Bills paid, & I walked w/ $.

Well I called Allstate about the crappy $704 check to use to fix my bike.  They are saying to fix it to my liking and then bill them.  They'll approve any supplements.  The shop that the bike is at is agreeing that $704 may fix it but it's hard to tell if it'll be as good as it was. I mean how hard is it to bend these headers or midpipes? It may cover it but I feel as if I'm owed more for the crap I've been through.

Sithor, I have a full exhaust off my 07, that has 17 miles on it. If you need an exhaust, I'll give you the whole system for the cost of shipping it. Maybe I can bring it to you in a few weeks if I can get thru Omaha. The earliest I would be able to ship is the first week of May. Let me know.

First thing they do is find out how much insurance the guy that hit you has.. And then the lawyer makes you commit 33%+ on anything they get.. (Make sure that this is after YOUR insurance company gets theirs, they are entitled to recouping any money first)

what a hassle it all is..

also need to pad in for depreciation of your bike
cool.gif
like it was already stated- any gear that was damaged needs to be billed also, as it is single use due to the accident. that's why I like progressive... they factor all that in

Get a Lawyer !!!! Yeah they are rip offs but the more you make the more they make.. Ins co. will take advantage of you..
thumb_up.gif

Back