Got my Redline Stands

NickSully

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I'm getting ready to do the first service on my K9 so I bought a rear stand and spools from Ian over at Redline Stands last Thursday. I never owned a stand before or spools or anything like this so I asked Ian what he recommended and he was very helpful in getting me setup. Ian also had a fast turn around time and I had the stand at my house on Tuesday but of course I was still away on business so I couldn't use them yet. :banghead:

Last night when I got home I tore into the bubble wrap that protected them in shipment and there was not a scratch on them. I installed the spools on the swing arm and adjusted the stand. I then stood the bike up and realized that the spacing would be different, duh to me, I had a long day. :banghead: So I adjusted the spacing again while trying to balance the bike which wasn't the best way to do things but it worked. After getting things adjusted a second time I was then able to lift the bike up without a problem. This is my first stand so I don't have anything to compare it too but it was so easy to lift the bike up. I then took the bike down and lifted it up again just to make sure it was that easy and it was.

So in summary I recommend the Redline Stands for those of us that do our own maintenance or have a need to get the back tire off the ground. Now I'm off to find a good but reasonably priced torque wrench so I can do that first service this weekend and get back to riding. It is only suppose to be in the low 80's and I hate not being able to ride in nice weather. Especially since next week they are calling for 100+ degree temperatures again.

Oh and I know the :rulez: :

RedlineStand1.jpg

RedlineStand2.jpg

By tilted do you mean on the kick stand? If so I don't believe you can use any stand like that. I took the hump off and used my left hand on the cross member of the frame with the locking pin on it to tilt the bike upright and I then used my right hand to slide the stand under the spools and then push down on the stand to lift the bike. Once you start lifting the bike the bike becomes really stable so your left hand is just there to steady the bike a little at that point. I hope that clears up your question.

Last edited:
great stands, I have a set myself... Torque wrench? just head over to sears and buy a "beam" style.. pretty cheap and accurate enough..

great stands, I have a set myself... Torque wrench? just head over to sears and buy a "beam" style.. pretty cheap and accurate enough..

Thanks Mr. Bogus, I've never used a torque wrench before so that is also all new to me. I'll have to check into the beam style that you mentioned.

Grats on your new stand and spools. They come in real handy when you're cleaning/re-lubing the chain. :thumbsup:

D

I've got the one's with the casters on it, have to be careful putting on the front it get's tricky, but is nice to be able to roll your bike around in the garage.

The beam type torque wrench will be fine for you unless you're going to do alot of work with it...in which case you may want to spend some extra $$ and get a couple of micrometer styles. 1 with foot-lbs and 1 with inch-lbs.

The redlines are sweet!

I've got the one's with the casters on it, have to be careful putting on the front it get's tricky, but is nice to be able to roll your bike around in the garage.
I was considering getting those. Is it at all wobbly while on the stands or is it comfortably stable?

TIA

Craftsman Beam Torque Wrench

this is what mr bogus is talking about.

The beam type torque wrench will be fine for you unless you're going to do alot of work with it...in which case you may want to spend some extra $$ and get a couple of micrometer styles. 1 with foot-lbs and 1 with inch-lbs.

The redlines are sweet!

Thanks guys! :thumbsup: That's the exact one I picked up after work today for 25 dollars. I only expect to use it when the motorcycle service manual calls for it so that should be perfect for me.

I was considering getting those. Is it at all wobbly while on the stands or is it comfortably stable?

TIA

Once you get it on there correctly, you can sit on the bike it's plenty stable. BUT, If you are rolling it around and a caster hits a rock, it can come off the stands (I caught mine once as it was coming off). On the front, you've REALLY got to watch the pins, mine have not been correctly seated and come off the front pin more than once, scratching my front fender a little.

Back