Got my First Ticket on My Bike

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Well I wasn't actually ON my bike.

The Gym I go to has about a 14 ft wide sidewalk with zero side to side traffic,
the guys on bikes always park close to the building (since I been going there)

Worked a bunch of overtime this week (which they never let me work extra)
to try to pay for a new rear (maybe I got another month before the white threads
start showing in it).

Come out from the gym and I got pegged for PARKING ON THE SIDEWALK for
$110 by the community service mall cop wanna be....:wtf:

I scream about speeding being a victimless crime..OMG :banghead: Parking on
sidewalk big enough to hold 8-10 bikes side to side HURTING NO ONE...
We're so outa the way it ain't even funny.

Ya know whats worse is the little twit behind the counter said...

"do you ride a motorcycle, I think you just got a ticket...I walked the gym and
looked but didn't see you" (or anybody or whatever she said)...I didn't move
the gym is basically one large room...yell out idiot:banghead:

He got the chick on harley that parked behind me.

What a tool...:moon:

Ya know whats worse is the little twit behind the counter said...

"do you ride a motorcycle, I think you just got a ticket...I walked the gym and
looked but didn't see you" (or anybody or whatever she said)...I didn't move
the gym is basically one large room...yell out idiot:banghead:

He got the chick on harley that parked behind me.

What a tool...:moon:

You got the ticket and she's the idiot?

Thats crap, NO reason for that to be an issue.
Ive heard people say "What if theres a Fire, you bike is full of gas" I guarentee my bike would be far, far awat before the FD got there:poke:

Might want to check the local laws. Motorcycles are in a different class here in FL(so to speak). That's why it's not required to have insurance here. They have a bicycle rack by you? Never know....

You got the ticket and she's the idiot?

Imagine if you will you go to a restaurant with some friends and you rode your
bike. As you get off yucking with your friends, you forget to lock your wheel.
After an hour or so, you get up to use the facility and the maitre d says,
"dude, you the one that rode the bike...I think someone stole it a half hour or
so ago, I saw a couple guys pushing it down the street."

Are you an idiot for not locking your wheel...sure. Is the maitre d an idiot for
not calling to SOMEONE'S/EVERYONE'S attention...in the words of Sarah Palin...YOU BETCHA.

Just for reference, this is a pic of a pic from my phone (poor quality)
IMG_2106.jpg

That's about a 100+ ft long BRICK WALL with nothing there. At the end is a
five star pizza delivery place and the gym enterance is about 20+ ft behind me.
Like I said, zero sidewalk traffic...people go from the lot straight into the
business of choice....sorry I blocked the friken BRICK WALL. Yes cops certainly
are valuable..."to protect and serve"...whoooohoo.

If I had even the slightest inkling that I would get a ticket, I never would have
parked there...a warning would have worked wonders.

Talk about a VICTIMLESS CRIME...:banghead:

I never understand why some people who ride bikes think they get special parking. Just because your vehicle is small does not mean you can park it where ever it will fit. The whole reason for parking spots is to park your vehicle. Sorry you got a ticket man, but you were wrong for parking on the sidewalk or even driving your bike up on the sidewalk. JMO :poke:

LOOK at the ticket,,Check if it is in fact a city or state issued ticket, sometimes they are mall or security issued and will not stand up in any court.
I got a parking ticket issued by a parking lot security cop. I looked at it and threw it away. That was 2 years ago, never heard a word from them. Sometimes they will bust your nuts just to see if you will send a check........

I never understand why some people who ride bikes think they get special parking. Just because your vehicle is small does not mean you can park it where ever it will fit. The whole reason for parking spots is to park your vehicle. Sorry you got a ticket man, but you were wrong for parking on the sidewalk or even driving your bike up on the sidewalk. JMO :poke:

they should get special parking, you obviously don't know anyone thats had a car or truck whip into a parking space and smash their bike... crap happens. on a sidewalk that big... a ticket is assinine.

Last edited:
See folks, this is where ridiculous laws and common sense just don't get along.

With so many things Europe has wrong, this one thing is done right - you can park your bike pretty much anywhere on the sidewalk as long as it's not in the way. Makes perfect sense to everyone - convenience for bikers, more parking spots for cars, less traffic, less gas usage - saves money, saves environemnt, saves time.

Last edited:
Imagine if you will you go to a restaurant with some friends and you rode your
bike. As you get off yucking with your friends, you forget to lock your wheel.
After an hour or so, you get up to use the facility and the maitre d says,
"dude, you the one that rode the bike...I think someone stole it a half hour or
so ago, I saw a couple guys pushing it down the street."

Are you an idiot for not locking your wheel...sure. Is the maitre d an idiot for
not calling to SOMEONE'S/EVERYONE'S attention...in the words of Sarah Palin...YOU BETCHA.

Just for reference, this is a pic of a pic from my phone (poor quality)
IMG_2106.jpg

That's about a 100+ ft long BRICK WALL with nothing there. At the end is a
five star pizza delivery place and the gym enterance is about 20+ ft behind me.
Like I said, zero sidewalk traffic...people go from the lot straight into the
business of choice....sorry I blocked the friken BRICK WALL. Yes cops certainly
are valuable..."to protect and serve"...whoooohoo.

If I had even the slightest inkling that I would get a ticket, I never would have
parked there...a warning would have worked wonders.

Talk about a VICTIMLESS CRIME...:banghead:

You need a warning to know sidewalks are for pedestrians and parking lots are for parking motor vehicles?

Maybe the "little twit" was the one that called the Mall Cop to revoke your special sidewalk parking permit. Her comment being salt in the wound.

See folks, this is where ridiculous laws and common sense just don't get along.

With so many things Europe has wrong, this one thing is done right - you can park your bike pretty much anywhere on the sidewalk as long as it's not in the way. Makes perfect sense to everyone - convenience for bikers, more parking spots for cars, less traffic, less gas usage - saves money, saves environemnt, saves time.

I wouldn't take the chance. Don't forget that there are people out there that don't like bikes.

they should get special parking, you obviously don't know anyone thats had a car or truck whip into a parking space and smash their bike... crap happens. on a sidewalk that big... a ticket is assinine.

Thats what insurance is for, and if you park near the back to the parking spot your bike can very easily be seen as someone on coming down the isle of parking spots. Crap does happen your right, but like I stated in the beginning, thats what insurance is for. A sidewalk is for people to walk on, no matter how big it is it is not for motor vehicles. Most sidewalks don't even allow skateboards or bicycles to be ridden on them why in the world would a motorcycle be allowed??? Before someone says it was parked and not being rode, how do you think it got on the sidewalk?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Gym trying to stop this ? (is this at a shopping center ?)

At the bar I worked at people would always try to park on the sidewalk, but it was in a shopping center with stores on both sides, and the front was only about 15-20 feet across. If it was a slow night, and just 1 bike I didn't have a problem with it, but then you would get 5 guys all try to park there on a Saturday night.

Then the landlord came by, and saw it, and had a fit. So that was the end of that.

I kinda agree with Justyntym and KvHotDog4 in certain respects. Yeah it does suck that you got a seemingly unfounded ticket. Im sure most of us have parked on a sidewalk, i know i have. But like HotDog said, it is your fault for parking there. Someone had said something about getting hit in a parking space, it happens to cars as well. I park near the back of the space a little forward of the cars beside me so people can see my bike and have never gotten hit, KNOCK ON WOOD. But the long and short of it, you were wrong, its a law that you cant park on the side walk. Trust me, i agree with you that its dumb but its the law. I would just like for once to see someone in a mini copper park on the sidewalk though :laugh:

I get that it was a parking violation. But $110!!!!!

That is where I stake my comment on Fla not liking bikes.

I wonder if a bicycle would have gotten a $110 fine for parking in the same spot.

Back