Got my CCW permit!

I have not gone and looked at one, but S&W has a compact .380 now that includes a laser. I think it was put on the gun store shelves the day after I went and bought the LCP and put a crimson trace on it....figures

Why do so many of you consider the .380 ?? I want a round with some meat behind it. A 9mm with +P or a .38 special with +P rounds is a minimum.
I know it is shot placement that really matters, but if I just wing the guy I want some bones broken at a minimum.
Remember " All plans change after the first round whizzes by."

I've been looking at the Sig .380 for a pocket gun.

Check out the Kahr CM9 or there is a new Kimber out that is a pocket 9mm as well. The newer pocket 9mm guns are nearly just as small as a .380, but have the extra punch you are looking for.

Check out the Kahr CM9 or there is a new Kimber out that is a pocket 9mm as well. The newer pocket 9mm guns are nearly just as small as a .380, but have the extra punch you are looking for.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Now I have another reason to go to cheaper than dirt tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Now I have another reason to go to cheaper than dirt tomorrow.

No worries man, I think you would regret getting a .380 in the long run. It would be like buying a Ninja 250 and then realizing a month later that it is not anywhere near where you wanted to be.

There are several pocket 9mm guns out there, just get what works for you. I have put 300 rounds through my CM9 so far and it has yet to jam or misfire. A friend of mine has a .380 and the CM9 is only about 1/2 longer and taller. It is about 1/4 inch wider and that is it.

Why do so many of you consider the .380 ?? I want a round with some meat behind it. A 9mm with +P or a .38 special with +P rounds is a minimum.
I know it is shot placement that really matters, but if I just wing the guy I want some bones broken at a minimum.

To be honest, I set out to buy the Ruger LCR in .357 Mag.
Several reasons I guess; The LCR, while being nice and light/compact, it was just not as concealable (for me anyway) the .380 fits in my Levis pocket and was less noticable visually (sp). I feel the chances of me actually needing a CCW are so slim...IDK, I got the CCW because I could. I hope to avoid confrontation if at all possible, and figure if the time actually come where I did need it, it would be at very close range and 6rnds of .380 oughta do the job. The 6" barrel colt fits in the car console, the P89 in the glove box, and the LR.308 in the trunk:lol:
A friend carries the .45 he says because if I miss and hit them in the finger they will die from shock:whistle:

Here we go again. a .380 loaded with 7 self a defense rounds will down a person in a self defense postion. What 5ft 10 MAX anything further and its hard to explain to a jury why you were in fear of your life.
Why do I carry such a small round such as a .380? Cause its summer time with temps close to 100F. Its nice to throw a pocket pistol in my shorts pocket while I am out to dinner and I am very accurate with it.
Everyone thinks its the movies and you have to shoot someone 20 rounds with a 50BMG to stop them.
I am pretty confident with my 380 that if I let 7 rounds into them they are going to drop.
Now if I am going Cape Buffalo hunting I may reconsider a larger round.

Thanks for the umm thanks guys! :beerchug:

I'm not gonna get into the caliber peeing match I already own several pistols, most of which are "carry-able" so there is no real reason to run out and buy something. I want CCW more for carrying a gun in the truck or in the tankbag of the bike. Neither of which I can do now.

War69 let me know how that class goes, I'm still crossing my fingers that the Utah permit and my hunters safety cert. will count for the permit..

Well Bots, as you can see which weapon you carry is a matter of opinion just as much as which oil is better.

I agree. I'm glad to be thin enough to be able to carry a full size pistol under a t shirt without standing out. I've never owned a .380? Dozens of pistols and never one.

Here we go again. a .380 loaded with 7 self a defense rounds will down a person in a self defense postion. What 5ft 10 MAX anything further and its hard to explain to a jury why you were in fear of your life.
Why do I carry such a small round such as a .380? Cause its summer time with temps close to 100F. Its nice to throw a pocket pistol in my shorts pocket while I am out to dinner and I am very accurate with it.
Everyone thinks its the movies and you have to shoot someone 20 rounds with a 50BMG to stop them.
I am pretty confident with my 380 that if I let 7 rounds into them they are going to drop.
Now if I am going Cape Buffalo hunting I may reconsider a larger round.

Do some research. I think you'll find .380 is not as lethal as you believe.
Remember your attacker will at the very least be pumped up on adrenalin and sometimes much more. Not everyone drops from one or two shots. Humans are extremely durable and an attacker needs to be incapacitated immediately. I would not trust the .380, shot placement or luck to accomplish that. When a person is facing you there are only a couple small places you could put a round that will cause immediate incapacitation. The .380 does not have enough consistent penetration to be able to reliably reach these areas. Shorts with belt loops and a nice rig along with a Sig 229 in .40 under a nice untucked shirt works for me. Also think about whether or not you may encounter one or more than one foe. All the sudden 7rnds of .380 doesn't sound so good when there's two or three attackers. Jmo

Good Read>>>>> FBI Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness - FirearmsTactical.com

I have looked at that link before Blanca, and must admit, if I lived in a densly populated area with a high crime rate then yes I would have to look at / reevaluate my options.

Without talking about which caliber I keep next to me in my nightstand, or which caliber I have next to me in the truck, I would rather have a .380 legally concealed than a .45 ACP that is so uncomfortable to carry without printing that I never have it on me... Know what I mean? IF I carry, and I mean IF, I will carry whatever gun is comfortable for whatever I'm wearing, and also one I'm comfortable shooting. I personally have fairly big hands and I don't know if the LCP will even be comfortable for me to even shoot regardless of the caliber of it..
There are MANY people who don't even think that the 9mm is a capable round. I have 4 9mm pistols that I would trust my life to. I have a .45 ACP that I'd trust my life to. I have a .380 in the gun safe right now, but it is a WWII German gun that my Grandpa brought back from the war.. I won't be carrying that one.. :whistle:

Carry on guys, I like talking about this kind of stuff. We should have a shotgun thread too. :laugh:

well, living in canada, ill never be able to carry legally, but if it was possible, id wanna carry something with as much stopping power as i could get, a 50ae deagle or smith 500 would be nice, but are such huge heavy guns... and in the case of the deagle, kinda unreliable, so a kimber cpd 1911 in .45 would be up high on my list... but ya... will never happen...

Heck yeah! :thumbsup:

Hope you do better with the concealed part than I did.. :banghead:
aefc37df-62d2-4a92.jpg

Droid via Tapatalk

Back