Got my "Black Bolt Kit" from www.bikebolts.com! BEWARE!!!

San Diego Busa

Registered
Hey Guys

My black fairing bolt kit finally arrived from Bikebolts, Motorcycle Parts

Must say, LESS then impressed, actually, borderline pissed off!

Heres the Gist:

I got a white 2011. I am in the process of blacking out all of the silver bolts, rear sets, pegs, etc... I like the white on black.

Anyway, did some research, saw a few folks strongly advising AGAINST the aluminum black fairing bolt kit for stripagge reasons, etc... I settled on the kit from bike bolts. I figure since its almost double the cost of the others, it must be at least decent, right? WRONG!

Place my order about week and a half ago. Keep checking status on the website, keeps saying processing. I let a week go by, leave message, no reply, leave email no reply, wait a few more days, same thing, WTF. Call a third time and leave a somewhat nasty message asking for a status update or a refund, still no reply! Arggg!

Contact paypal and open a dispute. WITHIN MINUTES they email me asking whats wrong. Tell them the above, dude says, oh sorry, we dont answer the phones, just email. Hmmm, i sent three. Whatever. Anyway, bolts were in fact shipped, they just never updated the status.

They arrive today, look decent enough, go to install them and......

The good:
-At first glance the powdercoat color matches the frame perfectly, what i was going for.
-They arent OEM hardware, and are a little smaller. Actually looks a little nicer this way.
-complete kit with good instructions

The bad and ugly:
-the powdercoat quality is some of the worst i have ever seen, almost 1/2 of them chipped right down to bare metal the second i put an allen wrench to it. Here are 2 pics of the fender bolts, the easier to see ones:

badpowdercoat1.jpg

badpowdercoat2.jpg

Now, ive been working on bikes and cars a long time, have all the correct tools, etc.. I am not a hack and am not rough with tools or fasteners.

This is just 100% unacceptable! Im gonna cool down a little before sending them another email with the pics! :)

Kinda stuck here. They offer me a refund, and i send this crap back, yay i get to take it all apart again. They dont offer me a refund and i fight it through paypal, lame. They offer me a refund and tell me to keep the stuff, not even happy with that, they suck!

Anyway, thanks for listening! I strongly suggest finding other options if you are doing color bolts.

Im probably going to wait until i take the bike apart for the 1200 mile service and have all the OEM bolts done here locally.

Rock On!

How much work is it to change the bolts? Just curious as I would take them all off, return them, and move on.

When you powdercoat a bolt the inner hole the allen wrench fits in is now smaller. You have to fanagle a smaller wrench in there to prevent the chipping you have from happening.
I used one size smaller allen wrench with a bit of tin foil on the end and it worked perfect and fit tight

Those bolts are going to get pretty ugly quickly taking the plastics on and off. Sorry for your pain. See if they want to reply and tell their side of the story about the product. Send him a link can't hurt. Maybe they have a way of preserving the coating.

I am getting my plastics back from the painter tomorrow and when I put them back on I would like to black out the bolts, but I think I will just cut a hole in a piece of paper and paint them with the touch paint I got here after they are already on the bike :thumbsup:

seems like everyone offers powder coat but the majority don't know what they're doing and it nds up as a hack job. I would rather have bolts anodized so the dimensions of the bolts don't change. They can be anodized black.

That sucks man I think these are the guys who sent my friends shop the wrong bolt kit for a GSXR they sent one for a CBR :banghead:

Those bolts don't look like they have that tapered section underneath the head to keep the plastics from moving around. Could be a bad angle:dunno: but they don't look like the bolts that go on the fairings.

The kit i already have comes with plastic collars/sleeves for that

I used Rustoleum semigloss black and painted mine. Cheap and easy. When/if they get scratched or if it does chip, I just respray.

Back