Got my BIG socket & gonna do some wrenchin' in the NEW YEAR!!!

Spitz

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys! First MOD of the NEW YEAR!!!!!

I just got my new BIG socket and i'm gonna put on my new 43 tooth Vortex socket. In the pics below, you can see it's relative simple to remove the rear wheel.....Unbolt the rear axle nut (36mm) and then 3 bolts on the caliper assembly. Then pull the tire out and change the sprocket. I also put on a license plate bracket!!! I have acouple of question though for the .org:

1- The chain is sagging so I lengthened the screws on the swingarm, extending the tire out about an 1". Is this ok to do?

2- With the smaller sprocket, the chain is sagging and going to rub on swingarm. Do I need to remove some links?

Thanks in advance!!!!

-Mark

The BIG socket 1.1.09.jpg

Hayabusa 1.1.09.jpg

Bolts rear axle 1.1.09.jpg

Rear tire removed 1.1.09.jpg

Rear tire on w.gear 1.1.09.jpg

Rear Vortex gear on 1.1.09.jpg

rear vortex gear 1.1.09.jpg

Chain rubbage 1.1.09.jpg

Rear license plate bracket 1.1.09.jpg

maybe just me but with a 43 tooth, your adjustment looks WAY WAY out... I am going to bet your chain is toast...

maybe just me but with a 43 tooth, your adjustment looks WAY WAY out... I am going to bet your chain is toast...

What do you mean by adjustment being way way out? Adjusting what? The chain is sagging because the Vortex sprocket is much smaller than the stock one, so there's more excess.

ok...step back from the keyboard...

stock sprocket is 40 tooth
Vortex 43 is going to be a taller sprocket.. on a new chain, the thing is "barely" installable..

I see new sprocket, old chain virtually fully extended adjusters... but hey I could be out of my fricken mind and just stupid at the same time.. :) (but it aint adden up)

Last edited:
sorry thought it was Gen1.. my bad..

so question.. why are you going shorter on the sprocket now? there is a world of difference here 5 tooth down? you wont need to shift anyway.. do 80mph in low gear :)

you are going to kill the low end in that bike..

sorry thought it was Gen1.. my bad..

so question.. why are you going shorter on the sprocket now? there is a world of difference here 5 tooth down? you wont need to shift anyway.. do 80mph in low gear :)

you are going to kill the low end in that bike..

I was told this will INCREASE low end acceleration and DECREASE top end speed. I'm not concerned about going 200+ MPH but I do love the acceleration!

So do I need to take out some links?

Spitz: The larger the rear sprocket the better acceleration and less top end. Going smaller on the rear sprocket will give you less acceleration and theoretically more top end. Going 5 down will really hurt your acceleration. The only real benefit from the smaller rear sprocket on the street is lower revs at highway cruising speed and slightly better gas mileage at the expense of a lot less acceleration.

If you truly want to keep the 38 tooth rear sprocket on, YES, you will need to remove a few links from the chain to keep it from sagging. You will need a new master link which most cycle shops carry. Good luck !

I was told this will INCREASE low end acceleration and DECREASE top end speed. I'm not concerned about going 200+ MPH but I do love the acceleration!

that is exactly backwards.. taller rear sprocket will yield higher engine RPM's at lower vehicle speed.. in most cases making the bike more responsive at lower speed because the engine is revving higher..

The torque on the rear wheel will be reduced by about 12% with 38T vs. stock 43T. Acceleration and top speed will be severely reduced.

The torque on the rear wheel will be reduced by about 12% with 38T vs. stock 43T. Acceleration and top speed will be severely reduced.
top speed probably will not change very much if at all.. but will need to run down one gear to get there.. Top MPH is more a function of HP than gearing.. although he will likely be down one gear to get there unable to upshift

Agree, didn't remember the rev-limiter on 6th... The bike may now be as fast on 5th that it would have been on 6th w/o rev-limiter. The acceleration will be lower though.

Try lubing your next chain once in awhile and it wont develop all the corrosion your present chain has. Was trying to read your license plate...there I got it...it reads WASH ME. Sorry...couldnt reist that..my bad !

:poke: I would find a better source for info before you buy agian,,Like here on the ORG. take that gear back and get you a 45 tooth. You will be much happier !

100_0784.JPG

Last edited:
Do couple of search on several Hayabusa forums b4 deciding on what tooth sprocket fits to your riding style.

Back