Got a ticket today....

basscrazy

Donating Member
Registered
This morning I was headed into the District. HOV was empty as far as I could see. I cracked it and was going somewhere in the low triple digits. I was in cruise mode when I decide to check my mirrors. I had to do a double take. I saw lights waa...aay behind me. Since I was the only thing on the road I knew he was coming for me. I slowed down and the trooper caught up. He pulled up beside me and motioned for me to pull over. I did... After pulling over, I took my helmet off and killed the engine. (did not feel like getting down on the street....) The trooper started with the do you know how fast you where going question. I told him that I was doing 80+ He looked at me and laughed. He walked around my bike. He checked the inspection and the personal property sticker. We then talked a bit. One thing he told me was that a lot of guys he pulls on bikes, do not have their motorcycle endorsment and or inspection / personal property stickers. I thought that to be interesting. We talked about my busa and the mods. He knew a lot about the king. To the point where I think he actually owns one!!!

The trooper was very professional and very cool. He told me he was not going to ticket me for speeding. (though he had me nailed) He did write me a ticket for no tag light on my swing arm. I said thank you!!!!!! (...I have lights in my hump that I have not installed)

What a deal. 60 miles over the speed limit and a go to jail free card or a $25.00 fine. I'll take the fine everytime. No complaints....

Lessons learned:
1. Don't speed.
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

2. Make sure you are legal. Get your endorsement. At least in Va. this will save you a trip to jail
3. Be respectful to the LEO. Dude had me nailed. I knew this. He knew this. I showed him a level of respect and he received it. I was wrong for speeding. There was no need for me to act like a butt.

Thanks for the ear
Bass

cool.gif
That could have been reeeeeally ugly. Donate to the needy because you were blessed today! (I'll PM you my address.)

(BiG-T @ Nov. 20 2006,15:flamethrowing:)
cool.gif
 That could have been reeeeeally ugly.  Donate to the needy because you were blessed today!  (I'll PM you my address.)
tounge.gif
I keep you in mind T...

wished I had that kinda luck good for you that could of been one ugly fine
beerchug.gif

you must have done something real good somewhere for the universe to be paying you back like that
beerchug.gif
way to go smooth-talker

(semi @ Nov. 20 2006,15:47) you must have done something real good somewhere for the universe to be paying you back like that
beerchug.gif
way to go smooth-talker
... do onto others!!! Simple but effective...

Bass

(ozz @ Nov. 20 2006,15:39) wished I had that kinda luck    good for you that could of been one ugly fine
beerchug.gif
Dude.... I watched Christmas flash in front of my eyes!!!!

Whew, that was a close one. hehe. Been there, done that, I know the feeling.

(basscrazy @ Nov. 20 2006,16:29) 3. Be respectful to the LEO. Dude had me nailed. I knew this. He knew this. I showed him a level of respect and he received it. I was wrong for speeding. There was no need for me to act like a butt.
It doesn't always get you out of a ticket but it's highly likely that if you're not being an asshat, the cop may at least treat you moderately well and possibly with a degree of mercy.

About a month ago, it worked for me. The wiff and I were coming down a local street in the truck. I was driving and we were chit chatting. I was also kind of daydreaming. Speed limit was 30 mph and all of a sudden, my wife yells at me, "There's a stop sign!"

I've been down that street a gazillion times and knew the sign was there but just completely lost my mind. Fortunately, it's a rural area and very little traffic from the side at that particular stop sign.

It was too late to stop, of course, so I did a quick head check left and saw no traffic. In the next blink of an eye I head checked to the right and a little ways down the street, facing the intersection was a cop.

I just pulled right over without debate or question. I was only about 200 feet or less down from the intersection and had already whipped out the registration and the insurance card before I even saw him tear around the corner.

The cop walked up to the truck and was laughing. He said, "You're the ONLY one who's EVER stopped!"

I replied, "Well, there was no point in pretending I didn't run it and I'm sure not going to be able to lie to you about it!"

We chatted for quite some time and he says he always has to chase people about a quarter mile. He said, "I'm not even going to call this one in." A little more chit-chat and he went back to his car and we all went on our merry way.

I'll never forget about that stop sign again, I can tell ya!!!

There have been a few other times when I haven't gotten a ticket and I can honestly say, they have ALWAYS been when I treated the cop with decency and didn't try to whine my way out of a ticket I knew damn well I deserved!

--Wag--

where was this LEO for Trip? Trip could have used that kind of relief!

WOW you are lucky!!
I had the same thing happen to me awhile ago. Cop couldn't believe that I had insurance, license, license endorsment, Inspection, registration etc.. He went over the list and kept insinuating that each next thing he was going to get me on, but he didn't. He ended up letting me go on a speech, a long one but just a speech. Super nice cop!!

Was it a State boy?? Man you were lucky, I need to put my inspection sticker on my bike.

Back in the 80's when I got my last ticket, State Troopers were the best and most professional to get pulled over by. I can still recall one pulling me over shortly after I got my new 87 Mustang GT (faster than the Corvette at the time)- he had to run triple digits for a good ways to catch up to me, still was perfectly polite, courteous, pleasant, and even gave me a break on the speed he wrote on the ticket! Around here, if you make a County Mounty or city cop get over 100 to find you, they get all redneck and pissed off and guaranteed will write you 'til their hand gets tired! Also yell, insult, and generally act the a..hole....
pissed.gif

(heavybusa @ Nov. 21 2006,20:29) Was it a State boy?? Man you were lucky, I need to put my inspection sticker on my bike.
It certainly was. Va. Troopers tend to be butts.... This guy was cool as a fan!!! Dude was sitting up backed up on the on rt 123 ramp. I saw him this morning!!!!
tounge.gif

Back