got a new job. well maybe sort of.

jch364

Registered
Ive been a police officer her in Ohio now for a little over 22 years. Ive been very lucky over the years in so many ways I wouldn't know were to start. Recently I had an opportunity to put in for the police motorcycle unit and I was accepted. Our training started on Monday. Today is day 4. It is the most intense training I have ever had by far. Right now Im on a 2006 Harley electra glide. Man she's got a fat azz. lol:laugh:. Anyway, so far so good. It is a tough course. The course is taught by one of our officers. It was developed by Harley and Northwestern University. It's the official officer riding certification course. Plus I guess we add a few things that go beyond the standard course. I guess just to add some flavor to it???. I am more tired than I have been in a long time. This course really does wear you out. If you youtube it you will find a variety of videos that show this type of training. It is not easy by any means and I will tell you that I have killed more orange cones than i care to admit.:laugh: It is a real confidence shaker and booster as well. Hopefully I will pass. Then I will be in the unit.
The pic is of the bike I am using now. I guess we are in the process of buying new ones and I will have a new 2012 by March. I cant wait. I have learned so much already. It is amazing how nimble these bikes really are. Sure, they are no speed demons by any stretch of the imagination. I mean this thing can barely get out of its own way but for maneuvering, it is really good. No way no how you could do these maneuvers on sport bike unless you are a super rider.
Keeping my fingers crossed and hope to pass. Ive wanted to do this for a long time.:please:

1002011505.jpg

:thumbsup: Right on! Ok, so when you pass, will you be on that thing year-round weather permitting of course?
Will the department provide proper and modern riding gear?
Very cool! Best of luck and continued success.

Congrats on the opportunity and good luck!

congrats :beerchug: best of luck getting to do what you love for a living!!

Thats pretty sweet. The Raleigh motorcycle officer training course is said to be the hardest motorcycle course in the country. Only has about a 50% pass rate is what I was told by a few of them. Let me tell you, those guys can RIDE the hell out of the BMWs they are on.

So I guess they don't ever expect you guys to catch anyone? It is a Harley.... :laugh: the oil costs must be through the roof for those things :laugh:

I couldn't resist. So many sensitive people with Harleys it was unhelpable :laugh:

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

congrats and best of luck. I have seen those youtube videos and always shake my head in disbelief...how the rider can make that behemoth move in ways I thought were impossible/inconceivable on a Harley.

life is good. seems like ur PD is like mine. meaning, u need enought time on to retire to get into a specialized unit. everything here is based on seniority and nothing else.

usually u need 20+ years to get into the MC unit, traffic (which happen to be seperate), narcotics, mounted, gangs, etc.... and if ur a supervisor you have a better chance of hitting powerball then getting a supervisor bid into one of those units. always wanted to get into the MC unit but thats a pipe dream and I have 16 years on.

You might want to show them pics of Uncle Steve's Busa Patrol Bike....:)

Be careful, I had a friend of mine nearly killed on a patrol bike. Riding at night looking for drunk drivers on a patrol bike is not a good use.

Thanks all! I need all the encouragement i can get. its a tough course. today was day 4. the weather has been unbelievably kind so far. we have been introduced to several different courses so far.
one is called a key hole. another is called the intersection and one is called an off set. there are 2 others that involve breaking and evasive turning. you tubing it is the best way to get an idea. I wish i could mod it. lol. even a dyno tune for crying out loud..oh well. i wish our pd worked more on seniority gnbrett. there is good and bad to that i guess but for us it does not mean a lot most of the time. there are, well lets just say other factors that sometimes come into play. anyway. tomorrow is Friday and i am hoping i can conclude the day with a good handle on what we have been doing so far. The gear we get is well good i guess. you cant really have a lot of great gear besides the helmet aspect which im sorry to say is not going to be great. they are going to be hjc 3/4 face. not the best quality. I dont even know if i will be able to fit into one. i have a terrible time fitting into a helmet. I was hoping they would have gone with a shoei. if it wont fit then i will buy my own and they can stripe it and put the communication gear in it. i cant wear a helmet for 8 hours that gives me a headache. there is just no way.

It was a draining day. I have a new name for my pain. its called the key hole. God i hate orange cones:rofl:

I'm happy for ya brother, but I couldn't do it. Criminals are ruthless now-a-days. One killed laying out spike strips yesterday.

Back