GoPro cooked itself charging on my Pc

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Just got done copying movies onto the computer from today's ride and unplugged it then plugged it back in as I always do to charge it.
Couple mins later I start smelling electronics frying ?
I'm wondering where it's coming from and I look over at the GoPro and it's literally smoking !?
It was so hot that when I picked it up I burned my fingers ?
Look at the case right above letters 'RO' in Hero.
It got so hot inside it melted the case and began to shrink ?
Now it's fried , won't turn on and smells like a deep fried piece of electronics ?
Really strange and a bummer as I now have to see if they will replace it or not ?

Tim/Pashnit what do you think ?

876fa1d1.jpg

Is that where the battery "leads" are? Did the battery explode?

Wow it fried on USB power??

Yes it did ?! Strange huh ?

Is that where the battery "leads" are? Did the battery explode?

Yes it is directly on opposite side of where battery plugs into it and where leads/tabs are.
No it didnt explode battery as it was only charging for about 3-5 minutes.
It was hooked up to Pc for about thirty mins while I edited and copied some vids from memory card. Then I unplugged it and plugged it back in so it would charge and minutes later smelled and saw smoke coming off it.
I grabbed it to unplug it and burned ma durn fangers !

Wow Saiid, I have never seen or heard of that happening, and we've sold a ton of these things.

I'd pick up the phone and call GoPro at 415.738.2480 if you haven't done so already. They are in the SF Bay Area so pacific time.

GoPro also has a huge Facebook presence and I'd make sure to post up that photo to their Facebook page.

GoPro | Facebook

I had just taken mine off the USB charger to my computer as I was reading this thread Sunday... I became worried for a bit. Blanca, did you call yet?

Questions:
1. How long have you had it?
2. Have you kept it on the USB charger connected to your computer over night or longer than needed?
3. Has it been exposed to water or fluids without the waterproof case?
4. How old is your computer? (Power supply sending out bad waves?)
5. Did you at least make scrambled eggs on it while it was hot? :poke:

Wow Saiid, I have never seen or heard of that happening, and we've sold a ton of these things.

Same here. We've sold a ton of these and have not seen that problem yet. I can't imagine they wouldn't do something for you

maybe from videoing that near bird strike it got scared and dumped on ya:laugh: all kidding aside, good thing u smelled that, it could have done some damage to your home or family...someone is definitely looking out for ya bro....

maybe from videoing that near bird strike it got scared and dumped on ya:laugh: all kidding aside, good thing u smelled that, it could have done some damage to your home or family...someone is definitely looking out for ya bro....

Really makes you think about all the stuff you have plugged in at home right now.... :please:

I'd pick up the phone and call GoPro at 415.738.2480 if you haven't done so already. They are in the SF Bay Area so pacific time.

GoPro also has a huge Facebook presence and I'd make sure to post up that photo to their Facebook page.

GoPro | Facebook

Tim thanks for the number I'll call today and see. I emailed them and included the pic. They responded already and asked for camera,battery, USB cable and original invoice. No problem except the invoice. I can't find it. Good thing is is this is the one that replaced the one that flew down I95. I got it direct from them. I responded to their email explaining this. I'm sure they have record o my purchase as they are looking to verify its been less than a year. Ill see if a call may speed things up.

I had just taken mine off the USB charger to my computer as I was reading this thread Sunday... I became worried for a bit. Blanca, did you call yet?

Questions:
1. How long have you had it?
2. Have you kept it on the USB charger connected to your computer over night or longer than needed?
3. Has it been exposed to water or fluids without the waterproof case?
4. How old is your computer? (Power supply sending out bad waves?)
5. Did you at least make scrambled eggs on it while it was hot? :poke:

1:had it since last April or early May.
2:rode with it on for about six hours on Sunday, came home turned it off. Later in the night about six hours later I plugged it into my Pc to copy the days ride and near miss with bird. Had it plugged in for about 30 mins copying pieces of what I wanted and then formatted the card. Unplugged it to get it off USB mode and plugged it back in so light would come on and charge. 3-5 mins later I'm still sitting at my desk and smell it cooking. If I had walked away or left I'm SURE it would have caught fire and burned my house down .
3: no
4: Dell XPS approx two years old. Use it for multiple other devices.
5: no scrambled eggs but burn two fingers a bit, not enough to make a blister but enough to hurt for a couple hours.

Tim thanks for the number I'll call today and see. I emailed them and included the pic. They responded already and asked for camera,battery, USB cable and original invoice. No problem except the invoice. I can't find it. Good thing is is this is the one that replaced the one that flew down I95. I got it direct from them. I responded to their email explaining this. I'm sure they have record o my purchase as they are looking to verify its been less than a year.

See, now that's classic.

Uh guys, I got this direct from you. :laugh:

Boy, if they only think their product is good for a year, I may rethink buying one.

They just forwarded me an invoice from purchase back in April .
Im gonna print it and mail all off tomorrow. From their tone and demeanor apologies and all I'm already happy. They took care of me last time and I'm confident they will again. I think they feel the quicker they make me happy the less time I have to publicly complain ?

Back