Goodbye Hernia

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
When I had my physical in December 2012, my doctor found a new meaning of pain during the "turn your head and cough" portion...I just about jumped off the table. Had no idea I had a hernia until he did that. It was a small one. He said we could monitor it, but that it would never get better, and eventually I'd have to fix it.

For the last year I've known it's there (oh, that's what's hurting)...it never got worse, I rode an entire track season with it. But, I wanted it fixed this winter so I could heal before next season, and wanted it done before Obamacare ruins my employer health plan. I'd heard some bad stories about hernia surgery/pain/recovery, so I was prepared for it to be really bad.

So, yesterday I got it done. Out of all the surgeries I've had before (back and about 10 kidney stone) this one was actually the easiest. I showed up at 8, they had me prepped and into surgery by 9, out by 10 and in the car coming home at 11. The anesthesiologist actually got my on the first stick (rare), I don't remember anything, and I know those candy-striper hot nurses who shaved me oood and ahhhd (at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it) :)

Last night was pretty good. Got some good pain killers, but only took one at 3:30 am when I couldn't sleep. Today I'm pretty sore as the local is wearing off but trying to stay away from the meds. I've got a nice little 3 inch scar to show the ladies. I took today and tomorrow off work, but I think I could go back - but might have a hard time getting home if I got to hurting and took a pain pill I wouldn't be able to drive.

Now, just to get this thing to heal up so I can start the TEAM GIXXER season in 6 weeks...

Make sure you take it easy, very easy. Glad it went well, you don't want to have a second surgery.

It's interesting...my surgeon says that the old adage of "don't lift over 5 lbs") is not longer what they say. He said "if it hurts, don't do it". They say this mesh they put in there is a lot better, and that less than 2% have to ever come back for tearing it. But yes, I've got 6 weeks before my first track weekend and hope I can get healed up by then (or at least a week prior to I can prep my bike!)

Just to poke you in the eye...my first track weekend is in two weeks and two days. I'm in for Nola. Crap, what off season.

Now we just need to meet up over at Outpost and do the swap meet we discussed.

Being one who's had three how did they fix it?
Take it easy, place your hand firmly over area if you feel a cough or sneeze coming.
You don't want to tear anything and have to have it done again. Last one I had I was about 16 in Ct.
I got a cold a day or so afterward and coughed for a week. Had to have it done over.

glad you got that knocked out. :beerchug: we had a co-worker about a year ago that had hernia bad and it looked like the size of a grapefruit. so, we named it "Harry" and made t-shirts for the guys as a running joke to pressure him to get it removed which he did. :laugh: he was a good sport about it but i can't imagine living with that thing on my body without being in serious pain.

glad you got that knocked out. :beerchug: we had a co-worker about a year ago that had hernia bad and it looked like the size of a grapefruit. so, we named it "Harry" and made t-shirts for the guys as a running joke to pressure him to get it removed which he did. :laugh: he was a good sport about it but i can't imagine living with that thing on my body without being in serious pain.

I think you're talking about an umbilical hernia which was coming out his belly button?
If so those were his guts coming out. Skydivr had an intestinal hernia ahem.....a bit further down below.
That's a hole in the intestinal/stomach wall that lets your guts drop down into your nut sack. Can't really see
these.

I tried to lift someone's spirits one time. It was a real pain in the Azz!
Doctor told me to never do that kind of heavy lifting again, and I have not!

Still kinda hurts now and then, Jus say'n

Glad you got it taken care of now...heal up and I'm sure you'll be ready for the track in no time! :thumbsup:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

You'll be a little more sore as you start to get up and do normal stuff, but by day 4-5. If you avoid the narcotics your pain level will likely keep you from doing more than you should. Here's to a fast recovery!

I think you're talking about an umbilical hernia which was coming out his belly button?
If so those were his guts coming out. Skydivr had an intestinal hernia ahem.....a bit further down below.
That's a hole in the intestinal/stomach wall that lets your guts drop down into your nut sack. Can't really see
these.
I learned something new.. Thought they were 1 in the same.

glad to hear you are on the mend and everything is going well :beerchug:

"Goodbye Hernia" I said the same thing about my wife when I watched her head down the road for the last time!

Speaking of "Goodbye Hernia/Hello Obama Care" My neighbor had a horror story on Obama Care on Wednesday. Had a fractured wrist, went to her family physician, it apparently was his day off and things went sour from there. Finding anyone to tend to her broken wrist that honored Obama Care became a nightmare.

Glad you got that little issue fixed before you arrive up here in June! I wouldn't want to listen to you whimper! :beerchug:

Yep Saiid, mine was a inguinal hernia (down low). Mine was small that's why I had it fixed now before it got worse. They fixed it with a piece of nylon mesh, that the muscle is supposed to grow thru. Had to dip into the painkillers yesterday/last night; the hardest part is getting up and sitting down (trying not to use that muscle is 'complicated'). I'm already getting cabin fever....

Charlie: BITE ME :) Should be good for the 25th.

Yep I've got mesh in there too.
Still holding up fine after twenty years.

Schism there are actually three kinds. Inguinal (down low), intestinal (umbilical) and one in the esophagus (esophageal) which food constantly comes back up and upsets you.

Back