Good Read on Cornering

Good article, but some comments.

Looking at this academically, one needs to understand what it is that actually makes the bike turn and why shifting the center of gravity when it comes to bike and rider as one unit, is so important.

Then there is street and track, which are two totally different conditions. Look at the Isle of Man riders and you will see body position is not the same as MotoGp.

Anybody ever heard of Wes Siler? I've never seen or heard his name mentioned within the motorcycling community? :dunno:

What I got from this meandering chatter about body position is that I will never lean a bike like a moto GP rider and neither will you. No other bike on earth will perform at 60+ degrees of lean angle.

Jason Pridmore wrote about body position a couple years back and his view is entirely different than that of Mr Siler. He gives examples of Josh Hayes who rides with his head up and not hanging off to the extreme. Jason also says that street riders and track day enthusiast simply look silly doing the Marquez thing with lean angles that don't exceed 45 degrees. I tend to agree with Jason, if you aren't reaching the bikes lean angle limitations, body position shouldn't be your top priority.

The thing for us mere mortals to remember is the farther we hang off the bike the less feel and control we have. Another thing we should keep in mind is riding Marquez style takes a tremendous amount of energy. Moto GP riders are an exceptional breed, in exceptional physical condiiton. I see them as some of the top athletes on earth. They train daily for peak physical ability and stamina.

Look at the Isle of Man riders and you will see body position is not the same as MotoGp.

I was going to make the same point, and the article has good tips, but did he really suggest Mick Doohan, winner of five consecutive world 500cc gp championships, in the era of big bang two stroke 500cc motors, no traction control bikes, was maybe doing it wrong?

Mr. Siler must be a really good rider.... LOL :laugh:

cheers
ken

Wow! Took Tuff almost a year to comment on this, I posted it as red meat for him! At my last track day at VIR, I found myself pretty comfortable on the bike in the corners and they sort of became routine as far as lean and body position. By my 3rd session, I actually realized I was lifting my knee as it was rubbing the ground! Lol!. I have touched a knee down on the street (without a puck BTW) but that was when I over shot a turn and was forced to lean through it and hope for the best. But the point is it was no big deal in the right situation and the right place for such non-sense. Lots of the TT riders say they rarely touch the ground with their knee. They change pucks because of sponsors - otherwise they would last forever!

Hey Arch long time no post!!! haha

I would've hit the "LIKE" button but seeing as how we don't have that no more.......

Guess the good ole thumbs up will have to do :thumbsup:

Back