good ol ebay

$15 is a pretty good price, good find. I've been thinking about taking the pair valve stuff out while I have all the bodywork off.

Common mod. It let's you remove the pair(?) valve, an antipollution device. Saves about 1.5 lbs of weight, with supposedly little to no performance advantage for the engine.

The following comes from Schnitz Racing for the 2008+ models years:
To meet federal regulations, OEM's use clean air injection*that adds oxygen to the exhaust.* This allow unburnt fuel to burn and reduce hydrocarbon emissions into the atmosphere.* For this to properly work, stock exhaust systems*have a catalytic converter inside that completes the process.* Once an aftermarket exhaust system is installed the added oxygen does little to help burn the excess fuel.* Instead, it often leads to "backfiring" or "popping" when engine braking or decelerating.* By*disabling the clean air injection one can nearly eliminate all backfiring.* Also, since the clear air injection is adding extra air from the air box you can gain some increase in air box pressure when at speed.* Keep in mind also that with the clean air system in place, any air/fuel sensors or dataloggers on the bike will show a leaner running engine causing you to*tune your bike and adust the fuel system*too rich.* This can only be prevented by eliminating the clean air system and all associated hoses.

And since the Gen 1 doesn't have a catalytic converter to start with, the pair system is pretty much just along for the ride.

And since the Gen 1 doesn't have a catalytic converter to start with, the pair system is pretty much just along for the ride.
My 1975 Toyota corolla had a similar setup, but with a forced air pump called the "clean air injection system". It let the corolla pass emissions without using a catalytic converter. I simply removed the belt to the air pump to get back whatever power it was drawing. The way I figured it, the car averaged near 30mpg coated to most vehicles of the era only delivering 15 mpg or less, so i was already contributing my part to environment!

Now fooling with emissions control equipment is a federal offense, but fortunately the statute of limitations has run out. :thumbsup:

they showed up today they look exactly as they show in the ebay post he sent a note saying its recommended not to use gasket but to use black or grey permatex (silicone)

Back