Good Laugh.. alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

It is often the man who stops talking who is wise, and the man who continues who is not. LOL! Not sure who said that, maybe I just made it up. You guys can use it though!

there are a lot of urban planners saying exactly what AOC is proposing about vehicles, trains and planes. many feel trains grow commerce while airplanes just grow airports.

All I'm saying is hear all the ideas out, don't just get on the side the propagandist put you on. AOC was a waitress last year, now she is in Congress. That makes her at least smarter than most of us! Besides, a green new deal presents an interesting opportunity. There is a ton of money to be made in greening the economy. Are we going to burn dinos and let the rich exploit us until the world ends?

AOC has crazy ideas that are at best idealistic and naive. Most of it is not doable. But take the seed she is planting and add a little experience and implementation strategy, and parts of it could work. Propagandists don't want you to think about what she is saying or whether it is actually workable in part or whole. They want you to hate her and call he stupid and not hear a word she is saying.

If nothing else, AOC will be a great experiment. How long before she is towing the line and saying what big money wants her to say?
I never said anyone was stupid I said ignorant. I will add arrogant as well cause she doesn't stop to think as she thinks she already knows it all. Getting to Congress doesn't take a smart person just connected and dumb constituents helps.
And obviously she is being used as you imply as she could not have come up with the green bill on her own, she seems to not even know the facts of it as she describes it.

there are a lot of urban planners saying exactly what AOC is proposing about vehicles, trains and planes.

Talking about your feelings about ..."let the rich exploit us until the world ends?" Jp Morgan and Standard oil killed the trolley systems in cities and train network country wide because they wanted their GM buses everywhere and of coarse diesel to be in demand.
I carry a ton of freight 134 ton-miles per gallon but a train carries one ton 471 ton-miles on a gallon.
Trains may be not be as "to your door" convenient but can't be beat for cost effective and we are all now paying in product costs in the long run.

I never said anyone was stupid I said ignorant. I will add arrogant as well cause she doesn't stop to think as she thinks she already knows it all. Getting to Congress doesn't take a smart person just connected and dumb constituents helps.
And obviously she is being used as you imply as she could not have come up with the green bill on her own, she seems to not even know the facts of it as she describes it.

No ill say it... she's just plain ass stupid no Matter what side of the isle you're on.
Her age is higher than her IQ

It is often the man who stops talking who is wise, and the man who continues who is not. LOL! Not sure who said that, maybe I just made it up. You guys can use it though!
Thanks for making me stop and think about my own opinions. I don’t agree with all you said, but I could be wrong!

Thanks for making me stop and think about my own opinions. I don’t agree with all you said, but I could be wrong!

I always believe I am right. However I've come to realize this is not the case more often than I would like to admit, so "believe" is the part of the phrase that gets me in all sorts of trouble. You can have your opinions but not your facts. Therefore, always check your opinions with the facts before you rely on them for decision making.

No reason to start a fight over anything you said. Id only add the racial discussion is now geared towards the white male being the target of most things on the left.

CNN tells their audience how words matter as they direct that towards Trump. Then they tell the same audience that the biggest source of terrorism in America is the white male.

Yet they claim there is too much racism being flamed here in this country.

Seems that it only applies to their agenda.
Okay, off into the race rabbithole we go...
As with most everything else we discuss, both on here and elsewhere, it's a matter of nuance and understanding. It's a multi-faceted issue, and solutions will not be easy... There is indeed a push in certain areas to lay blame at the feet of white males for everything that ails society, and it's not entirely inaccurate to do so, after all, who has run the country since its inception? Who has operated from a position of power and influence, with impunity, since the US was thought up? Yeah, we all know.... That being said, the main problem with the application of this logic is that it paints with a very broad brush. Yes, privilege exists, (if you think that it doesn't you should probably stop reading here, we'll just have to agree to differ) and it advantages some of a society at the expense of the other members. Keep in mind that capitalism as we have bastardized it in this country is indeed a zero-sum game, we can't all have everything we want, and this will inevitably lead to inequality. I am okay with inequality as long as it starts with a level playing field, and in this country it does not. Race is just one of several ways in which some people are advantaged over others.
However, did any of the more privileged members of this (or any other society) wake up this morning and choose to be in that privileged portion? Of course not. It is therefore unfair of anyone to point fingers and make a person feel somehow responsible for something over which they have no control. You didn't ask to be white and have the privilege which accompanies that any more than I asked to be black and have the lack of privilege that carries.
There is also the reaction to the disadvantage of others and the mention of privilege that is common on an individual level. That argument goes something along the lines of "...but we were poor and suffered from disadvantage, and I/we/my parents worked hard and we made a better life for ourselves.", and that is not to be dismissed. However it fails to take into account that opportunity for the hard work that resulted in that improvement is not always equally accessible, and that there are deliberate structural historical factors at play that are not immediately visible. For example, the National Housing Act, (which was the legislation that created the FHA during the New Deal) legally instituted the practice of redlining back in the 1930's which systematically denied assistance in the housing market to black people, essentially creating (or at very least reinforcing) segregation. The government did not specifically exclude blacks from the GI bill benefits , but since they were denied housing in most neighborhoods and most blacks (+/- 75%) lived in the south where they were still denied entry into most colleges, the benefits had a far lower rate of effectiveness. It doesn't take a huge leap to see that the advantages resulting of these two programs can carry forward several generations, and I think that's part of the problem of where we are today.
A lot of people cannot understand the difference between institutional racism and their own concept of not being "racist" individually. I'm not asking anyone to feel guilty for being privileged, or to give that privilege up. I simply ask people to recognize that we don't all complete the same journey to arrive at the same destination.
With regard to privilege think of it this way: We're mostly guys on this board, when was the last time any of us had to worry about being assaulted walking to a car late at night at our place of business, or had to consider the possibility that the clothing we wanted to wear could result in our being the victim of a rape? If you don't think we as men are privileged in this society, ask a woman you love when the last time was that she had to concern herself with such things.

No ill say it... she's just plain ass stupid no Matter what side of the isle you're on.
Her age is higher than her IQ
Agreed. I've listened to her, she is an idiot. She wants to institute policies which cannot be put into play as she envisions them, even if they were good ideas, which they aren't.
She, much like Trump, has a fundamental disconnect with the reality of governance. Just because you think something is a good idea, doesn't mean it is, and even if most of your constituents want it, there are still other ones who don't, and they cannot simply be ignored. Compromise is the currency of governance, you will get nothing accomplished without it.

Okay, off into the race rabbithole we go...
As with most everything else we discuss, both on here and elsewhere, it's a matter of nuance and understanding. It's a multi-faceted issue, and solutions will not be easy... There is indeed a push in certain areas to lay blame at the feet of white males for everything that ails society, and it's not entirely inaccurate to do so, after all, who has run the country since its inception? Who has operated from a position of power and influence, with impunity, since the US was thought up? Yeah, we all know.... That being said, the main problem with the application of this logic is that it paints with a very broad brush. Yes, privilege exists, (if you think that it doesn't you should probably stop reading here, we'll just have to agree to differ) and it advantages some of a society at the expense of the other members. Keep in mind that capitalism as we have bastardized it in this country is indeed a zero-sum game, we can't all have everything we want, and this will inevitably lead to inequality. I am okay with inequality as long as it starts with a level playing field, and in this country it does not. Race is just one of several ways in which some people are advantaged over others.
However, did any of the more privileged members of this (or any other society) wake up this morning and choose to be in that privileged portion? Of course not. It is therefore unfair of anyone to point fingers and make a person feel somehow responsible for something over which they have no control. You didn't ask to be white and have the privilege which accompanies that any more than I asked to be black and have the lack of privilege that carries.
There is also the reaction to the disadvantage of others and the mention of privilege that is common on an individual level. That argument goes something along the lines of "...but we were poor and suffered from disadvantage, and I/we/my parents worked hard and we made a better life for ourselves.", and that is not to be dismissed. However it fails to take into account that opportunity for the hard work that resulted in that improvement is not always equally accessible, and that there are deliberate structural historical factors at play that are not immediately visible. For example, the National Housing Act, (which was the legislation that created the FHA during the New Deal) legally instituted the practice of redlining back in the 1930's which systematically denied assistance in the housing market to black people, essentially creating (or at very least reinforcing) segregation. The government did not specifically exclude blacks from the GI bill benefits , but since they were denied housing in most neighborhoods and most blacks (+/- 75%) lived in the south where they were still denied entry into most colleges, the benefits had a far lower rate of effectiveness. It doesn't take a huge leap to see that the advantages resulting of these two programs can carry forward several generations, and I think that's part of the problem of where we are today.
A lot of people cannot understand the difference between institutional racism and their own concept of not being "racist" individually. I'm not asking anyone to feel guilty for being privileged, or to give that privilege up. I simply ask people to recognize that we don't all complete the same journey to arrive at the same destination.
With regard to privilege think of it this way: We're mostly guys on this board, when was the last time any of us had to worry about being assaulted walking to a car late at night at our place of business, or had to consider the possibility that the clothing we wanted to wear could result in our being the victim of a rape? If you don't think we as men are privileged in this society, ask a woman you love when the last time was that she had to concern herself with such things.
Well you're blending quite a few social issues into one response.

I'll remind you simply, that despite all the social issues you bring up, we as in the USA, has been us since 1776. In the scheme of things we are a young country by most standards of countries in the world. And in our short life we went from a penal colony of the Brits, to a world super power and the largest market in the world still do this day.

So by whatever formula that you feel is responsible, we have done better in a short period of time than (pick any country you choose to insert here). And while we have several social issues, and the white race has certainly makes its mistakes, I'd invite you to compare all you brought up against (pick any other country you like). It isn't white privilege in this country, it's wealth privelage. If you have wealth, you have privelage. What other country could Colin Paperback first take a knee, and end up making $30M for doing so?

Women are absolutely subjected to sexual predators.

That has become a phenomenan in the more recent years because we fail to exterminate the predators that we used to. And as bad as that is, compare how women ( or for that fact any non white race) are treated here compared to a lot of other countries. Not many are packing their bags to go elsewhere because they have it better.

So I'm sorry if you feel that what we have obtained and accomplished here has been a matter of white privilege. Let's see how Africa has faired with no such thing as white privilege in existence.

As MLK stated, " I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

If you're happy with your character, and that character coincides with mine, then we would never need to discuss the color of our skins.

This is part of our America. If I don't like your character, I'm immediately labelled as a racist. Yet if I don't like the character of a redneck, now I'm a privelaged white.

We are not allowed to be labelled as someone who knows the difference between what works and what doesn't. We have to be labelled as something disparaging in America now.

Of course I'm blending social issues, they don't exist independently of each other, they all interplay.
The US is indeed better from an economical stand point, and in a shorter period of time. Why do you think that is? American exceptionalism? Is this country just "better" than others?
When access to the wealth you correctly point out as providing privilege has been systematically denied to persons other than whites, wealth privilege becomes indistinguishable from white privilege. Africa would likely have fared better had colonialism not destroyed and removed resources and population from it. To say that white privilege is absent in Africa is flatly untrue, you're old enough to remember apartheid, right?
It's not a matter of what works or what doesn't, it's a matter of access to what works. This country was set up for a certain portion of the population to be successful: white, land owning men. The constitution was literally written with that purpose in mind, it says so. Why are people so surprised to discover that it worked?

One more thing I didn't address, what does being happy with one's character have to do with being on an even playing field? If we work as hard as each other, we should see the same amount of success. When people are faced with the reality that structural and institutional barriers exist for some people, they are often inclined to resist acceptance of it, because to do so means to realize that perhaps their own success isn't solely attributable to their own hard work. Success or failure are oftentimes dependant on factors out of the control of an individual.

guys... lol... PLEASE.. im gonna get blamed for this somehow when you guys start digging deeper and get more and more passionate:crazy:

FB_IMG_15498624309952021.jpg

Back