Good earbuds?

BusaBenny

Registered
Hello everyone. I have a sena 30K which I love. I don’t use the their helmet mounted speakers because I use my own earbuds. However I can’t seem to find a good set of earbuds that will one, block out all the noise, and two stay in my ears. I’m using a set that hooks over my ears and they work but sometimes they fall out a little and then the sena is useless. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be great thanks.

I have yet to find the foam sealing type earbuds that stay in well. The ones that use the little pliable "wing" seem to work the best. The picture is of the Skullcandy bluetooth buds. Really good sound for the money. My problem is my Arai helmet likes to pull them out when I put the helmet on. The more expensive option is the Scala Rider Freedom intercom using the helmet speakers. Great volume and if you have a quiet helmet you'll have no problem hearing.

If you want proper ear protection and great sound it will cost you. The best performance is going to come from custom molded IEM (in ear monitors). Basically you get a mold made of your ear by an audiologist and then the IEM is molded to your specific ear canal. The result is serious sound attenuation and amazing sound. These are going to start at about $250 + molding which is about $50-$100. I have TUNZ B which are 3 element IEM's with simply amazing sound. I actually bought them for playing the bass but I use them on the bike. They cost a small fortune but I basically have the sound quality of a nice home system on the bike.

The next level down I like the Bose. These word really well for me and they can be had for about $100 or so. They don't have the isolation that IEM's give you but sound quality is good. Part of the problem is that the SENAs are notoriously low volume. When I switched to the Packtalk Bold I was amazed at the improved volume and coupled with the new JBL speakers the experience is pretty impressive.

Lot's of people will say that not hearing things like emergency vehicles is dangerous. This is of course not the case. You need to learn how to maintain situational awareness all around you on a bike and all I have read or been taught is done with your eyes and nose (i.e. smelling a dead animal or cut grass). Loud pipes and wind noise will destroy your hearing and that's the real threat most bikers don't realize until it's too late.

Anyway, lots to think about and try on this topic, good luck.

If you want proper ear protection and great sound it will cost you. The best performance is going to come from custom molded IEM (in ear monitors). Basically you get a mold made of your ear by an audiologist and then the IEM is molded to your specific ear canal. The result is serious sound attenuation and amazing sound. These are going to start at about $250 + molding which is about $50-$100. I have TUNZ B which are 3 element IEM's with simply amazing sound. I actually bought them for playing the bass but I use them on the bike. They cost a small fortune but I basically have the sound quality of a nice home system on the bike.

The next level down I like the Bose. These word really well for me and they can be had for about $100 or so. They don't have the isolation that IEM's give you but sound quality is good. Part of the problem is that the SENAs are notoriously low volume. When I switched to the Packtalk Bold I was amazed at the improved volume and coupled with the new JBL speakers the experience is pretty impressive.

Lot's of people will say that not hearing things like emergency vehicles is dangerous. This is of course not the case. You need to learn how to maintain situational awareness all around you on a bike and all I have read or been taught is done with your eyes and nose (i.e. smelling a dead animal or cut grass). Loud pipes and wind noise will destroy your hearing and that's the real threat most bikers don't realize until it's too late.

View attachment 1619559
View attachment 1619560
Hi. What did you say I could not hear you. My exhaust is to loud, my race helmet lets in to much noise When I ride a bike the only sound I want to here is the bike, that is it no music could sound as good as the bike.

Hi. What did you say I could not hear you. My exhaust is to loud, my race helmet lets in to much noise When I ride a bike the only sound I want to here is the bike, that is it no music could sound as good as the bike.
Well to each his or her own. Most of us don't race or ride full race bikes so protecting our ears is a bit higher priority. Lol!

Fallen is correct.You can buy n' try everything but if you really want them to stay in...pay up.
Anybody on a limited budget like yours truely...
I use these,good bang for the buck.
Intercom/FM/cell phone only issue I have with them is when I turn them off they seem to lose the blu tooth connection and have to be paired again on next start-up,takes 10 seconds but still bugs me.
Rubb.

I have yet to find the foam sealing type earbuds that stay in well. The ones that use the little pliable "wing" seem to work the best. The picture is of the Skullcandy bluetooth buds. Really good sound for the money. My problem is my Arai helmet likes to pull them out when I put the helmet on. The more expensive option is the Scala Rider Freedom intercom using the helmet speakers. Great volume and if you have a quiet helmet you'll have no problem hearing.View attachment 1619558
That’s the type I use sometimes. You are right. They are good sometimes.

Here's an analog suggestion: If you're happy with the audio quality of your current devices, change the tips. I use a product from Comply™ Foam Tips - Replacement Earphone Tips. You might have to guesstimate which tips are correct for your buds but they stay in place once inserted.

And this vid might help to inform
I love that YouTube channel. That guy is great. I think custom tips is what I’m going to do.

View attachment 1619559
View attachment 1619560
Which Bose are you referring to? I’ve been looking at some.

So from your guys suggestions I think custom molded tips might be my best bet. This is something I’m going to pay around with but I want to figure it out. I go to the range and ride a lot so I want to protect my ears as much as possible. So for the first trail run I’m going to try these molds and see how it goes. There is a guy in the review section of this amazon ad that made the molds but added his earbuds into it. That’s what I plan to do.

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs - Tan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006GWRJK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.cyYEbB56C84T

I have a set of bose I have used them for 6 years now I like them you can and you can get the noise canceling tips they don’t drown everything out but you don’t want to do that. Mine are 6 years old now so sound is not as good as the free ones that come with a iPhone

Most of us don't rid
Which Bose are you referring to? I’ve been looking at some.
I think quietcomfort 20. They are like $250 but bose has a model that looks similar but is $100 or so.

I had those soundsport and I think they sit out too far and would cause discomfort with a helmet on. I haven't used them with a helmet though. Good buds though.
That’s what’s going on my current ones and that’s why they sometimes fall out. Because the helmet pulls them out.

I've ridden all my life and always felt that way too. The last few years I ride alone, mostly curvy roads, and love certain music while I'm riding. Creates a nirvana of sorts :) I find the music calms me and I can concentrate on corner entry, lean angles and braking etc even better. As mentioned, to each his/her own.

UPDATE

I thought I’d up update this thread because my results worked out well. I went the way of doing a custom earbud tip. I bought these off of amazon:

Radians CEP001-0 Custom Molded Earplugs, Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KHNB8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SSH8EbDQAA33C

I followed the directions but the only difference I did was when the mold was in my ears I put my earbuds on and pushed the earbud into its normal position. Once the mold hardened I pulled both the earbud and mold out together as one piece. I let it cure for the 3 hours the directions said to let it cure for. Then I separated the earbud from the mold and drilled out a hole so the earbud sound could go through. I went for a ride and it worked perfect. It didn’t fall out and I could hear my earbuds perfectly. The only drawback was when you take out your earbuds sometimes the mold will stay in your ear. You then have to pull that out separately and put it back together. Not a huge issue but a little annoying. But a plus side to that is if you have a similar earbud you can use this mold for your new ones.

BC74860C-1A12-446A-A2FC-7A8D8AD0F703.jpeg

BF9197E0-87BD-4C86-A64A-48557183D6AE.jpeg

UPDATE

I thought I’d up update this thread because my results worked out well. I went the way of doing a custom earbud tip. I bought these off of amazon:

Radians CEP001-0 Custom Molded Earplugs, Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KHNB8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SSH8EbDQAA33C

I followed the directions but the only difference I did was when the mold was in my ears I put my earbuds on and pushed the earbud into its normal position. Once the mold hardened I pulled both the earbud and mold out together as one piece. I let it cure for the 3 hours the directions said to let it cure for. Then I separated the earbud from the mold and drilled out a hole so the earbud sound could go through. I went for a ride and it worked perfect. It didn’t fall out and I could hear my earbuds perfectly. The only drawback was when you take out your earbuds sometimes the mold will stay in your ear. You then have to pull that out separately and put it back together. Not a huge issue but a little annoying. But a plus side to that is if you have a similar earbud you can use this mold for your new ones.

View attachment 1621509

View attachment 1621510
Nice. Do they isolate noise well? Or at least better?

I've ridden all my life and always felt that way too. The last few years I ride alone, mostly curvy roads, and love certain music while I'm riding. Creates a nirvana of sorts :) I find the music calms me and I can concentrate on corner entry, lean angles and braking etc even better. As mentioned, to each his/her own.
I’m with you...

Back