Good Chain Websites... Need a new Chain? Cleaning?

now you tell me....
mad.gif

smile.gif
Cecil, your issue was the inspiration...  I figured we all could use a few links to some real info...  I know I do...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098454994 -->

Ouch Cecil...That is my worst nightmare..snapped pin..did the chain exit the bike without damage??
How was is adjusted---Did it break doing a wheelie? was it the stock chain?

HEy Pace, The Chain exited without harm, I dunno about how it was adjusted though it had dealt with a good number of wheelies... It "WAS" the stock chain with about 4k miles I think?
rock.gif
If I remember right it happened on his street or even in his driveway something like that...

I am not going to put words in his mouth, but his chain puts up with some serious hard use/abuse depending on who your asking...
laugh.gif
Lot's N lot's of wheelies...

I would like to ad some important chain info here, This is from experiance and what i have read on this awsome board.
People breaking teeth off C shaft sprocket,snapping chains, chains skipping over the teeth--very ugly and dangerous.
Modern O-Ring chains--all come pre greased internally ! No matter how much you lube it, you are only lubing the outside of the chain and sprockets which is a good thing. This is where it gets abit confusing....everytime we replace a rear tire--we typically have to readjust the chain----- With that in mind---lets say we have tires that will outlast the chain---not gonna happen--Here goes-----say a tire will--bike is brand new---put a couple of hundred miles on it and adjust the chain to perfection....now ride and ride...6k 10k 15k 20k---sooner or later you will notice the chain is looser than it's been---since we adjusted the chain in the first 100-200 miles and now it's loose again--this is the truth
The chain is now JUNK...replace it asap---the internal grease has now gone away and the pins and bushings are now seizing-making the chain longer and longer..soon the teeth on the sprockets will start to bend--chain rides higher and higher on the teeth making them prone to breaking off. another thing you may notice is red rust oxides are leaking out past the o-rings....this is the death knell of the chain---take it off.
I put 40k on a 900 Ninja...sprockets were fine when sold---four chains.....rode like i had a deathwish...
wow.gif

What is the best/strongest chain for the Busa and how much does it cost? Do I really need to change the front or rear sprocket if getting new chain with only 4500 miles on her? Everything looks great except for the amount of chain stretch I have had. Do you have to get a different chain if you switch to a 43 rear sprocket? Where is the best palce to get both a new chain and sprocket? Brand/size/everything? TIA
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101281193 -->

N.E. could lead you in the right direction as far as a good chain brand or Johnny C. I put a DID X-ring on, l think it said 10,000 psi tensile tough..rolls with alot less friction than the stocker...sprockets front Afam brand should be good.
Justintime....if you replace the chain now and your sprockets look good [ get a second opnion] you should be fine with just replacing the chain--and with a mandatory [rivet masterlink] 120.00 or so for a new chain ? Don't know about lenght of chain for a 43 t rear.

Ps I need some backup from you guy's on this important subject---N.E. and Cheese ? Shizor--blown chains and sprockets is a nightmare for a scoot like ours or any other bike.
rock.gif

DID ZVM530 .. 10400 Tensile (X-Ring)
Tsubaki Sigma 530 .. 10600 Tensile (O-Ring)

Im sure RK and EK make some chain as well but I dont believe in them!
smile.gif

Both of these chain will make good mileage... Depending on how much you clean, lube, adjust the chain. As for sprocket, Steel Front and Steel Rear is just fine!
smile.gif
And ride it like you stole it!
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

What is the best/strongest chain for the Busa and how much does it cost? Do I really need to change the front or rear sprocket if getting new chain with only 4500 miles on her? Everything looks great except for the amount of chain stretch I have had. Do you have to get a different chain if you switch to a 43 rear sprocket? Where is the best palce to get both a new chain and sprocket? Brand/size/everything? TIA
smile.gif
Lots of debate on the chains. If you stay with the top chain for each maufacture you will be fine.

EK 530 zvx gold or silver is what I run with over 200lbs of torque. I love the chain and run the silver which is harder to fine. This is one of the strongest chain @ 11800lbs

Strongest is EK 530 DRV which is used for drag racing a lot. Can be used for street but you will have to find rivit master links. Most of the master links come as clip for easy removal I guess.

also if you can and have may miles on the sprokets change them all. If something happened to the chain and the sprokets all look good use them. Just remember to inspect very close for round and side-side.

smile.gif
Lots of debate on the chains.  If you stay with the top chain for each maufacture you will be fine.

EK 530 zvx gold or silver is what I run with over 200lbs of torque.  I love the chain and run the silver which is harder to fine.  This is one of the strongest chain @ 11800lbs

Strongest is EK 530 DRV which is used for drag racing a lot.  Can be used for street but you will have to find rivit master links.  Most of the master links come as clip for easy removal I guess.

also if you can and have may miles on the sprokets change them all.  If something happened to the chain and the sprokets all look good use them.  Just remember to inspect very close for round and side-side.
i would recommand every street bike chain be riveted on too.some chain come pre stretcheded. i went to moto heaven to get mine,.i agree if you stay with the top chains you will be fine.

smile.gif
Lots of debate on the chains. If you stay with the top chain for each maufacture you will be fine.

EK 530 zvx gold or silver is what I run with over 200lbs of torque. I love the chain and run the silver which is harder to fine. This is one of the strongest chain @ 11800lbs

Strongest is EK 530 DRV which is used for drag racing a lot. Can be used for street but you will have to find rivit master links. Most of the master links come as clip for easy removal I guess.

also if you can and have may miles on the sprokets change them all. If something happened to the chain and the sprokets all look good use them. Just remember to inspect very close for round and side-side.
Hey, I went out to the site to order a new chain and it's asking for the size. 120 to 160. What's that? The wheel size? What should I pick for a stock 'busa?

Thanks for all the good info.

Carl

smile.gif
Lots of debate on the chains.  If you stay with the top chain for each maufacture you will be fine.

EK 530 zvx gold or silver is what I run with over 200lbs of torque.  I love the chain and run the silver which is harder to fine.  This is one of the strongest chain @ 11800lbs

Strongest is EK 530 DRV which is used for drag racing a lot.  Can be used for street but you will have to find rivit master links.  Most of the master links come as clip for easy removal I guess.

also if you can and have may miles on the sprokets change them all.  If something happened to the chain and the sprokets all look good use them.  Just remember to inspect very close for round and side-side.
Hey, I went out to the site to order a new chain and it's asking for the size. 120 to 160. What's that? The wheel size? What should I pick for a stock 'busa?

Carl
They are asking for how many links you want. Stock chain is 112 links but most shops only sale 120 links so you would have to use a chain break tool and cut extra links off. Let me know what kind of chain you want and the brand and if it is EK then I can get you 112 links and it will also be cheaper then them.

Carl
Just slap me upside the head and call me a newbie. Size = number of links in the chain. I'll learn these things a little at a time.

Carl

Thanks for the info. I probably service my chain too often too. Guess that is better than not doing it often enough.

Back