Good bye dad

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
I'm not one to share personal feelings much and when sad ... I'd rather be by myself. But my step dad passed yesterday and felt I should share a few thoughts with you guys.

Born,  Richard A. Collins Aug 9, 1930  in Chico Ca. -  Passed away May 12, 2006 in Hilo, Hawaii.

Riley grew up during the great depression and shared stories of the era regularly. He was fat as youngster and was teased about alot. Raised in a farming and ag area he knew the farm boy life style well, milked cows ... When he reached his teens his chubbyness gave way to muscle as he worked on a farm & a bakery and later dug ditches for Calif water co. Needless to say he wasnt teased anymore and if he was, the teaser would usually walk home with his front teeth in his hand.

He never finished high school but got into hotrods and custom cars and eventually opened his own auto body shop, originally in Chico then Santa Cruz Ca. and it still bares his name 30 years after he sold it. He won many custom car shows with both his own cars and those he built for others, even the Oakland national in around 1959. He was friends with D. Bertelucci of Sacramento Hot Rod fame and George Barris of LA and Vegas hot rod scene.

Riley was my step dad and married mom when I was about 1 1/2 years old. He was kind but firm, I got my share of spankings... but he was also very sincere and fair. He raised and treated me as his own. Never showed favortism, when his own children got a new bike or toy, I would get the same.

In my teen years we moved to Hawaii and we built several cars together and I will treasure those moments often.

He was kinda rough around the edges and didnt mince words you either liked him or you didnt. But many who were offended by him at first, later came to be his best friends. He was very active in our local congregation and volunteer projects and raised me to do the same. He wasnt the emotional type to say he loved me but I know he did.

Good bye Dad, I'll miss you alot.  - Kent

<!--EDIT|Kento-Moto
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147534072 -->

Dad.jpg

sad.gif
man I'm sorry Kent He sounded like a really hard working neat guy I will send prayers
sad.gif

sad.gif

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

It sounds like you were very lucky to have had such a good father. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Wow,what a little story on him.I'm sure you will miss him a lot.My condolences to your family and his friends.
And Kent,drop the step part....he was your dad.
beerchug.gif

Thanks for sharing about your stepdad.......there are many in this world who would gladly trade their biological dads for a man like Riley. You will see him again one day. Keep the faith.

Scotty
smile.gif

My thoughts go out to you, I lost my dad when I was just 25. I still miss him even and I am 51!

Kent,

I am sorry for your loss!! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Marc

Really sorry to hear of your loss.

Sounds like he was one you could take at face value. DOn't see that much anymore.

Anyway, keep the faith. Prayers sent your way.

Back