Gonna be looking at tires for the 1st time in aa fe years.

TallTom

Registered
I posted this up in general bike related forum. Sorry to the board for that. I should have posted this in the proper section. Here in tires.

As some of you may know I got my girl a carbon copy of my bike about 2 years ago. She loves the CERAP out of her bike. And she has driven through her tires that were on it. And her chain,original to the bike is at its limits. So I am starting to shop for it all now.

And she is currently at the end of her set of Pilot Power 2CTs. They aren't getting the miles that my Avons are getting and I have about 60 lbs on her. But she has expressed no complaints in the performance of her tire.

I have been on my current Avons longer than any other tire I have had and still love em. Got plenty of tread left after 3 seasons. It will be mostly mild conservative street use with an at least once a year trip to some twisties. More twisties if I move to St. George. So I have been sort of on the fence waiting to see if we are moving or what. But it is sweet riding season here now and I don't want her sitting out some beautiful rides while I sit on the fence. So I am perfectly happy with the idea of shoeing hers in Avons. But it seems like there has been a few new offerings since I was tire shopping a few short years ago. For awhile the Pirelli's seemed to be everyone's sweet spot. But that has been a couple of years. And Pilot Powers seem to be old news now. Technology has changed rapidly in this arena. The Avon's I have on now are old school. Avon has the new 3D series out now.

Anybody want to throw out any deals they know of on a good tire set-up that will serve the duty we need? I will also be doing a chain and sprocket set. Going stock on the sprockets size.

Chain will probably be the new EK series but I am open to hearing if chains are in a new world since I last bought one.

I like my Michelin Pilot Road 4s. Have had 3s, 2s and also the Pilot Powers in the past. Should get very good wear out of them and they serve my needs as far as the twisties.

Yes I am thinking I will do a PR4 for the rear and a PP3 for the front.

Everything I am reading still seems to put the Mich's and the Avons in my same target sites. She has no complaints on her PP2's on the bike now.

Now on to sprocket choices.

I fitted the Bridgestone T30...on offer locally at the time , can't complain, just as grippy as the OEM BT015 with a slightly sharper profile so feels more flickable.
Much better in the wet and in many ways remind of the Power 2CT but with better wet grip.
Bro-in-law has just fitted the PR4 and finds them great for his early morning cool starts and short runs which he hated on the OEM tyre as they needed warm roads to get any feel.
So if you need a tyre that works in the cold then go for any modern sports touring tyre.
If you do lots and lots of track days then the newer PP3 , Sportsmart 2 or Metzeler M7RR are fantastic tyres.

Back