GOM oil.

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
I know this is probably a dumb question, but I've been wondering how that oil in the Gulf of Mexico got where it is, namely 4 miles down below the surface of the water and over 3 miles down below the sea floor.??
I can see oil forming from old vegetation and/or dinosaurs, but I can't imagine them being that far down below the sea floor.

The oceans of today are not the oceans of milions of years ago. What today might be the ocean floor could have easily been dry land. Not to mention the vast amount of organic material that dies in the ocean over millions of years.

The Gulf floor has and is a huge depository of land based run off from North America. Been a deposit for millions of years. The main drain is the Mississippi River....................

There are a number of scientists that believe pockets of petroleum (oil wells) are a normal and ongoing process of the earth and not the results of decomposing prehistoric animal and plant life.

For some of the reasons you mention, I'm inclined to listen to what those scientists have to say.

There are a number of scientists that believe pockets of petroleum (oil wells) are a normal and ongoing process of the earth and not the results of decomposing prehistoric animal and plant life.

For some of the reasons you mention, I'm inclined to listen to what those scientists have to say.

If by scientists, you mean like 5.....

Abiogenic oil theory still has never gained any real support, and has floundered as the refuge mainly of those who try to refute dinosaurs and support creationism because the billion year creation model of the earth tends to go against their beliefs...

It has never actually been able to successfully find commerical oil, and fails on numerous levels...

Peroleum Geologists still ad hear to the rotting dino oil theory overwhelmingly..

Including big oil companies..

In regards to the gulf of mexico oil... The easiest way to visualize it, is consider the super continent Pangea; the combined super continent that split up about 200 million years ago...

Basically all of that area was dense rain forest for a significant period of time... so ~ 50 million years of plant and animal deposition and build up getting swallowed by plate tectonics, then heat and pressure doing their magic...

This is also why that area tends to be rich in other minerals and that upper horn on south america is heavily mined...

If by scientists, you mean like 5.....

Abiogenic oil theory still has never gained any real support, and has floundered as the refuge mainly of those who try to refute dinosaurs and support creationism because the billion year creation model of the earth tends to go against their beliefs...

It has never actually been able to successfully find commerical oil, and fails on numerous levels...

Peroleum Geologists still ad hear to the rotting dino oil theory overwhelmingly..

Including big oil companies..

In regards to the gulf of mexico oil... The easiest way to visualize it, is consider the super continent Pangea; the combined super continent that split up about 200 million years ago...

Basically all of that area was dense rain forest for a significant period of time... so ~ 50 million years of plant and animal deposition and build up getting swallowed by plate tectonics, then heat and pressure doing their magic...

This is also why that area tends to be rich in other minerals and that upper horn on south america is heavily mined...

Actually a billion year model isn't in conflict with creationism, but many that adhere to their religion of evolutionism seem to think it is. And yes the number of scientists that believe in the "abiogenic theory" are in the minority, but 5 was either an attempt at humor or an over simplification.

Just because a group of scientists are in the minority, doesn't mean they are wrong. You can just look at the anthropogenic global warming BS and how that is fleshing out now. AGW was a means to push a political and social agenda and to get the masses to buy into that movement through junk science, smoke and mirrors, and intimidation, but that is a topic for another thread.

Regarding numbers of scientists remember there was at one time only 1 who thought and said the world was round and he turned out to be right.
'She's not flat like your head' says Bugs Bunny :)

Back