going to the dragon

TommyGunn1300

Registered
heading up to the dragon july 3rd-4th. been riding for 4 years and being so close to the dragon, i've never made it out that way. any suggestions on places to stay, or the best way to get there via parkway and backroads? will be coming from raleigh on 40

IDK about that being the ideal ride for the 4th seems like it could be way busy. Either way when you do make there just flip open a map that whole area filled with motorcycle friendly roads.

The dragon, 28, the skyway heck they are all fun around there, have a great time, take some pics. :thumbsup:

I'm up that way all the time, and can tell you there will be a huge crowd on a holiday weekend. Probably a lot of slow traffic and crashes too. Sorry to rain on your parade, but those are the facts. Macon454 is right though, there are a lot of great roads in the area. You may be disappointed by going at such a busy time. Monday - Thursday seems to be the best time to go if you can. Don't make the mistake of skipping the Cherohala Skyway. It is a great Busa road.

I'd start making reservations right now if you plan in staying anywhere around there. Robbinsville is very convenient to a lot of good roads in the area. Either way, have a great trip. :beerchug:

i really dont want to make reservations because the way my luck goes itll end up raining. how is the ride to pigon forge? thinking about staying there

you could stay in peigeon forge or here in maryville either one. Right now is peak tourist season around here so its pretty crowded even through the week ESPECIALLY Pigeon Forge. Traffics **** there right now. so I'm recommending either robbinsville or here in maryville as far as a place to stay. Oh yea...we've also been having ALOT of freak storms the last week or so, so make sure you pack your froggtogg suit! :thumbsup:

I had rather have 20 lashes with a bull whip than stay in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, but that's just me.

There are a lot of good places to stay in the Robbinsville area...

Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg will be a snail's crawl pace on the holiday weekend, unless you REALLY like riding in 1st Gear all day...

i really dont want to make reservations because the way my luck goes itll end up raining. how is the ride to pigon forge? thinking about staying there

You'd better take a tent if you aren't making reservations.

Good luck not dying of a heat stroke in the Pigeon Forge traffic. And no lane splitting in TN. They have plenty of officers the make sure you're doing what you're supposed to. I'm with Rayabusa on the lashes instead of staying here. I'm more serious than joking about that.

Seriously, if you're determined to go, Robbinsville is going to be the best place to stay. You might even try somewhere a little to the west like Madisonville or Vonore, TN.

whats the deal with Pigeon Forge? is it like myrtle beach of the mountians? alot of stuff to do at night? might make reservations at the sanran idk yet.

Pigeon Forge has more traffic, more congestion, more red lights, longer red lights than any place you are likely to go. I make it a point to stay AWAY from Pigeon Forge. I hate the place. Yes, there are lots of attractions: Dollywood, chopper rides, mini-golf, fudge shops, outlet malls, ad nauseum, but they're certainly not attractive to me. On July 4th weekend, better allot 3 hours to travel the 1o-mile or so stretch thru Pigeon Forge. Maybe 4 hours. I'd rather sleep on the ground anywhere else than find a motel in Pigeon Forge.

If I had more time, I'd tell you how I really feel.

CW

Pigeon Forge has more traffic, more congestion, more red lights, longer red lights than any place you are likely to go. I make it a point to stay AWAY from Pigeon Forge. I hate the place. Yes, there are lots of attractions: Dollywood, chopper rides, mini-golf, fudge shops, outlet malls, ad nauseum, but they're certainly not attractive to me. On July 4th weekend, better allot 3 hours to travel the 1o-mile or so stretch thru Pigeon Forge. Maybe 4 hours. I'd rather sleep on the ground anywhere else than find a motel in Pigeon Forge.

If I had more time, I'd tell you how I really feel.

CW

You said it, brother. I've never been to Myrtle Beach, but it can't be much worse than Pigeon Forge.

stay off the dragon unless its earlie am or late pm try 28, the skyway...instead

Back