Going to look at HMF dual hi-mount full exhaust (today) Pro's/Con's Please

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Going on a 2007.

Have heard they can melt plastic in places?

Have heard heat bothers passenger?

Was a dyno required with your install?I have no mods as of yet.

Was a Power Commander needed with yer install?

Was installation a major hassle,I've faced this before with other full systems? EX: relocating krap.

Belly pan can't be used,correct?

Apparantly they sound awesome.
I know they look awesome.I want them,but not bad enuff to go thru a major hassle.

Your thoughts,

Thanks,Rubb.

I am a fan of the dual high mount as well but I have read several threads about fittment issues and if your into HP they dont produce the same kinda results as some of the other leading exhausts. I heard the dual carbon exhaust system sounds amazing though :thumbsup:

I am a fan of the dual high mount as well but I have read several threads about fittment issues and if your into HP they dont produce the same kinda results as some of the other leading exhausts. I heard the dual carbon exhaust system sounds amazing though :thumbsup:

I'm too old for big horsepower. :laugh:

Fitment issues,I hate them. :banghead:

RSD.

I read an interesting article about high mount undertail exhausts a few months ago. I have always liked the look of these exhausts but I am a big fan of form and function. Apparently a manufacturer went to this style some years ago as a way to get the correct length of exhaust for tuning purposes. Many manufacturers copied the design because of the look and not necessarily to have the best performing exhaust. The weight of the exhaust is carried higher, let alone the heat and discomfort some of the systems translated to the rider. I think one of the best looking of these exhausts is on MV Agusta F4RR.

The exhaust systems on Buells and newer track bikes that have the silencer portion at the very bottom of the bike make the most sense engineering wise as they keep heat away from the rider, are space efficient and keep the weight of the exhaust low. Some of them are pretty ugly but some of them, like the Panigale are mostly faired in and look pretty badassed! The Panigale reminds me of something you would see on a fighter jet.

I have the low mounts, i like the traditional look better, never did like the way the high mounts go around the outside of the swingarm. I love the sound. You can use the centerstand too. The carbon has held up well for 5 years or so. Took a bit of jiggling but it all fit up snug.

cheers
ken

I am guessing the only problem would be if you wanted mount luggage maybe even some of those temporary soft luggage saddles :dunno:

Seeing as how you ejected that kick ars setup it came with may not be an issue:laugh:

So I'm gonna say contact SEMI. He has had the setup for years. I converted his original ss system to carbon fiber and black ceramic coated his system.

I have had the high mount HMF exhaust on my 2002 since 2004. I've put 40,000 miles on the bike without any problems. They are not that difficult to put on. You just have to aline them properly. I have the carbon fiber cans and run Nelson Riggs soft sport saddle bags for week end trips without any problems. I love the look and the sound of the high mounts. They deliver good midrange power which is what I have the most use for. I would buy them again. That's my 2 cents.

I have had the high mount HMF exhaust on my 2002 since 2004. I've put 40,000 miles on the bike without any problems. They are not that difficult to put on. You just have to aline them properly. I have the carbon fiber cans and run Nelson Riggs soft sport saddle bags for week end trips without any problems. I love the look and the sound of the high mounts. They deliver good midrange power which is what I have the most use for. I would buy them again. That's my 2 cents.

Bought,installed,and dyno tuned to 181 HP.

Thanks for all the input.

RSD.

new pipes.jpg

You know,I wouldn't recommend them to someone who doesnt do their own wrenching. Install cost at a shop would be heavy. I felt I had to add extra heat shielding to fairing inners,then I still wasn't happy how close they came to the plastics. So I taped the headers. I like the look of the belly pan so I'm going to work on something custom to re-install that. You have to lose your stock turn sigs,didn't bother me,stock is fugly. But for some changing out those and the other hassles would be costly at a shop. Heat tape,header wrap,sig re/re,belly pan,pair removal,longer bolts needed for pillion peg attachment,and a dyno could all add up to some serious cash.

RSD.

I loved my Dual HMF hi-mounts when I first bought my bike; CF cans never burnt the wife ridn 2up either. I loved the sound and performance of the exhaust; it had awesome mid-range and lighter than stock too.
Sound at WOT reminded me of a WSB Ducati...on meth and roids;)

Absolutely the best exhaust for a Hayabusa. They sound AWESOME too. I installed mine about 10,000 miles ago. No problems. I did have problems putting them on. Getting them to line up without clearance issues was a PITA. I did end up putting spacers on my right and left fairings with additional heat shield material which worked well. Haven't had any heat related issues.

Back