Going to have to go Honduh...Rubb gets a new ride. She's needs work & cash

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Fell in love with this artifact as soon as it rolled into the shop. Dunno why,but I liked it. It was a pretty cool bike back in the day. Being like a lot of you boyz on this site,obvious Suzuki fans, I always compare sport bikes to one another and especially to the GSXR line-up. For 2002 the GSXR1000 had 160HP @ 10,750...88 ft lbs of torque and tipped the scales at 375 (dry).
The Honda 954 154HP @ 11,250...75 ft lbs of torque and weighed in under the Gixxer 370 so the power to weight ratio was decent.
A pinch shorter in stance makes it supposedly pretty nimble.
This bike needs a lot of work to be road worthy again. It has been highly neglected,something I will never understand. I'm going to try and make it happen thou. The tuff part will be the cost. The time/labor is a non-issue. As some of you know,I have been helping my buddy out at his soon to be closed bike shop. He knew I liked the bike when it rolled in (looks wise),and loved the sound when I got it to fire up. It sounds tight and mean. I only got a few minutes with it after getting it running (replaced the fuel pump) and had to move on to more important things,
Well I guess some sort of deal was struck between the bikes owner and my bro. I know the owner turned down offers from other customers to buy it...(low-ballers) so I'm not sure what was paid for the bike.
As a thank-you for helping him out...he gave it to me. He didn't have to give me a thing. I was helping him out because he is my friend. I don't know why I like this bike so much,but I do. The cost to insure my Busa and the fact that the weather has turned ugly just make it impossible to ride the Turbo Beast any more this year. With funds at an' all time low for me right now,it will be a struggle to even keep the "Black Bastid." Its about all I have left in the world now (possession wise) so I will hang on to it for now. I considered a beater car,but I think I will throw a couple bucks into this thing and ride it here and there,probably until next summer.Parts will be at dealer cost and a couple parts will have to be used. Needs about 20 hours to be good again. It's an' 18 year old bike,but has less than 10,ooo miles on it.

954.jpg

She roared back to life after just a short while on the table...

954a.jpg

All of the hydraulics are frozen. All the calipers and both masters need re-build. The worst of it however and the most expensive part are the stanchions. They will have to be sourced used.

954b.jpg

With some love...I think she will fly again. I'm pretty excited. I have not owned a regular wheel-based bike for 4 years. It will be neat to hit some tight turns on a bike that actually handles.
Wish me luck...and a small lottery win.
rofl.gif

Rubb.

I wish I could get my 954 back... Just make sure it has a steering stabilizer on it, as they are a headshaking bastard.

I wish I could get my 954 back... Just make sure it has a steering stabilizer on it, as they are a headshaking bastard.
Thank you Sir. I noticed that in old reviews of the bike,but was not going to bother with one. You as a previous owner would know best. She gets a little light in the front does she? When the front end comes back down to earth she shakes kinda violently?
Rubb.

Tests and reviews said the motor weight was really contained center mass and made both ends feel light. Sounds as if big changes were successful in the upgrades from the 929...yes?
Rubb.

Thank you Sir. I noticed that in old reviews of the bike,but was not going to bother with one. You as a previous owner would know best. She gets a little light in the front does she? When the front end comes back down to earth she shakes kinda violently?
Rubb.
Hitting bumps when on the throttle hard in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear or landing a wheelie a little crossed up will make it headshake hard enough that it will knock your hands off the bars if you try to stop it. I never crashed mine because of it, but I scared myself more than a few times before I put a stabilizer on.

Tests and reviews said the motor weight was really contained center mass and made both ends feel light. Sounds as if big changes were successful in the upgrades from the 929...yes?
Rubb.
Mine liked standing up on either wheel on demand. I have never rode a 929 so I can't compare.

My buddy use to have one just like this. Congrats on the bike!
Thanks Matt,it will be a challenge to make it right again.I am praying for no issues I don't already know about. The wrenching will be easy enough,it's my thin wallet that will make it a slow re-birth.I think it will be an' awesome,fun...antique. :laugh:
Looks awesome congrats makes me think about getting another bike :banghead: :thumbsup:
Thanks mate. It's a bit more out of necessity for me bro,I just cant keep punishing my Busa in this krappy weather. A car would make way more common sense right now...but I have none of that. :p
Rubb.

(...) in this krappy weather. A car would make way more common sense right now...but I have none of that. :p
Rubb.

man i understand you i guess best.

today, at my age of 62, fortunately i own since feb. 2020 a ´07 v6-diesel audi, ~ 185kmi but in very best tech. cond. and not expensive purchased, (including ac AND a stand heating) for cold times (when, the wimp i am, lower than 15°C - lool) and my bikes (busa and fj) for summerlike times with over 20°C

but
decades ago we, as schoolboys / students with very low finances, bought in oct./nov. rusty but seemingly technically save cars for less than 200 german bucks for winter use only
and gave em in end of upcoming march to the scrap dealers for final disposal.

couldn´t that behavior be a possibility for u too?
fu.. for the look - mainly - technically safe and not too much gals/100mi .

and

best luck with the honda. ;)

and pls excuse my "germenglish" - lool

and for a manual you already tried these pages ?

Last edited:
man i understand you i guess best.

today, at my age of 62, fortunately i own since feb. 2020 a ´07 v6-diesel audi, ~ 185kmi but in very best tech. cond. and not expensive purchased, (including ac AND a stand heating) for cold times (when, the wimp i am, lower than 15°C - lool) and my bikes (busa and fj) for summerlike times with over 20°C

but
decades ago we, as schoolboys / students with very low finances, bought in oct./nov. rusty but seemingly technically save cars for less than 200 german bucks for winter use only
and gave em in end of upcoming march to the scrap dealers for final disposal.

couldn´t that behavior be a possibility for u too?
fu.. for the look - mainly - technically safe and not too much gals/100mi .

and

best luck with the honda. ;)

and pls excuse my "germenglish" - lool

and for a manual you already tried these pages ?
I did consider the winter beater,but thought WTH...beater-bike.:thumbsup:
No problem on the typed accent Frank,I read and understand "Germanish" :laugh:
Thanks dear,:bowdown:
Rubb.

Fell in love with this artifact as soon as it rolled into the shop. Dunno why,but I liked it. It was a pretty cool bike back in the day. Being like a lot of you boyz on this site,obvious Suzuki fans, I always compare sport bikes to one another and especially to the GSXR line-up. For 2002 the GSXR1000 had 160HP @ 10,750...88 ft lbs of torque and tipped the scales at 375 (dry).
The Honda 954 154HP @ 11,250...75 ft lbs of torque and weighed in under the Gixxer 370 so the power to weight ratio was decent.
A pinch shorter in stance makes it supposedly pretty nimble.
This bike needs a lot of work to be road worthy again. It has been highly neglected,something I will never understand. I'm going to try and make it happen thou. The tuff part will be the cost. The time/labor is a non-issue. As some of you know,I have been helping my buddy out at his soon to be closed bike shop. He knew I liked the bike when it rolled in (looks wise),and loved the sound when I got it to fire up. It sounds tight and mean. I only got a few minutes with it after getting it running (replaced the fuel pump) and had to move on to more important things,
Well I guess some sort of deal was struck between the bikes owner and my bro. I know the owner turned down offers from other customers to buy it...(low-ballers) so I'm not sure what was paid for the bike.
As a thank-you for helping him out...he gave it to me. He didn't have to give me a thing. I was helping him out because he is my friend. I don't know why I like this bike so much,but I do. The cost to insure my Busa and the fact that the weather has turned ugly just make it impossible to ride the Turbo Beast any more this year. With funds at an' all time low for me right now,it will be a struggle to even keep the "Black Bastid." Its about all I have left in the world now (possession wise) so I will hang on to it for now. I considered a beater car,but I think I will throw a couple bucks into this thing and ride it here and there,probably until next summer.Parts will be at dealer cost and a couple parts will have to be used. Needs about 20 hours to be good again. It's an' 18 year old bike,but has less than 10,ooo miles on it.

View attachment 1630114

She roared back to life after just a short while on the table...

View attachment 1630115

All of the hydraulics are frozen. All the calipers and both masters need re-build. The worst of it however and the most expensive part are the stanchions. They will have to be sourced used.

View attachment 1630116

With some love...I think she will fly again. I'm pretty excited. I have not owned a regular wheel-based bike for 4 years. It will be neat to hit some tight turns on a bike that actually handles.
Wish me luck...and a small lottery win. View attachment 1630117
Rubb.
My brother owned a 929 and my God that thing was indestructible. But by far my most favorite bike I have ever owned was my 03 R1 that thing was ran through the ringer and not skipped a single beat! I miss it soooooo much.

My brother owned a 929 and my God that thing was indestructible. But by far my most favorite bike I have ever owned was my 03 R1 that thing was ran through the ringer and not skipped a single beat! I miss it soooooo much.
In the era of this Honduh there were a few beasts about. Your R1 was one of them. I had the 2002 GSXR750. About 30 pounds lighter than the liter bikes and just 10-15 horse less. I thought the thing was an' animal,
Rubb.
Nice to see friendship and good help recognized. Looking forward to updates!
Its a great friendship forsure Tet. I'm trying to find a forum for the 954. Seems dead out there or I'm just not finding the right one,
Rubb.

Back