Going out of the shirt business

I know you already said "HELL NO I WON'T CHARGE" but how bout creating a certain status for those who DONATE to the cause. Call us Super Duper Elders or something. Create a brick wall with our names or something....

If we can freak out over the number of posts we have, lots of people would love to have some elevated status.
I totally agree with Greg. Giving those that help out with the site financially as contributers or donors... i have seen other sites do this type of stuff and with the extra cash, they hold meets and other events for that forum. :beerchug:

Captain,
Thanks, just got the shirt for the wife.  My son says it's just because I want a Hayabusa around when I make love to her!   :D

Blow off those a$$ holes that stiffed ya.  Why don't you tell us who those pin pr!ck Flea F-ckers are and we'll take care of it for you!  How about we a start up a poll and see what your loyal Busa fans think should be done to/about  people who take advantage of ya.

Although I've been here a comparatively short time, I think this is ultimately the best site on the net.  It is the only one I frequent and UNREPLACEABLE!

Keep up the excellent work!   :super:

I really do not know what thoes guy's complained about.
Got my shirts today, and am still waiting on parts I ordered before I ordered the shirts.
Maybe it was their first time ordering over the net, it should be their last time on this site.

Then again, when it no longer is a hobby, but a job maybe it is time to pass it along. Can anyone else help your run the site?
I don't know how all that works.

Anyway, no problems here. Keep up the great work Cap.

Ride safe  

I'm new here, I paid by pay pay which I had never used before and, was unaware of the shipping time frame. I E mailed you directly and said that I had paid by pay pal, and asked if the shirts had been shipped. You sent me a very courtious reply telling me that the 2 long sleeve Tshirts had been shipped, and that I should be receiving them shortly. I received them in a couple of days. Which was fine and much appreciated. I really like the shirts. They are high quality, and they look great and fit my skinny body perfectly. Although I haven't been here long, its plain to see that you are a class act. I appreciate the effort you have put in to this board. You have made it very user friendly, and there are a lot of really nice folks here. Thanks for all your effort. Hope you don't close the board. I want as a couple more shirts. Hopefully I can order them tomorrow. Thanks again.

iwas actually a little suprised you didnt have your busa anymore and still keep this site running, i am greatful though. this site helped me decide to go with a busa and the information offered by the active members is very helpful. i am far from computer literate and im sure logistically this site is work. but if you wont take money how is someone like me who lives 2000 miles from you supposed to help out? to me the shirts look cool but why bother (more work) set up a donation arraingment or just post a po box address and let us decide how much to send. do what you will with the funds. hire someone whatever. oh, and i agree with thinker, post the whiners names let the board members handle it.:;):

I understand where Captain is coming from, I operated the most successful ATV website on the internet (30+ million hits a month, 14,000 forum members) for more than a year and I know the costs involved. The monetary costs are great, the time costs are even greater, and for me (and probably Captain as well) the worst was worrying about the site going down and feeling helpless to get it back up as you call your server tech guys at 2am Tuesday morning. It is a big responsability and causes alot of stress, believe it or not! I also had experience with making shirts for my website (I got 300+ shirts if I remember correctly) and having a huge outlay of money tied up in that project. When it came down to selling the shirts very few people bought them, and our site was much larger than this one. It was a real downer but I realized that selling shirts on the internet is not a profitable venture. I did break even with those shirts money wise but it was not worth my time. I can only imagine having people stiff me like they did to Captain, that would have really ticked me off like it did him!

Captain has started a great site here and I think we have an excellent bunch of members here :) Last year I sent Captain an email about taking the site off his hands but he declined. I sent him another PM yesterday about the same topic. We'll see if he is interested in passing the torch. The offer is out there so we'll see :beerchug:

Maoz, at 2am I am calling myself, I have two T1 circuits here at the house and I admin my own servers. There is absolutely no way that I could afford to host this site and pay for bandwidth. We are moving well over a terabyte every month between the gallery server, the vids server, the board and the main site with chat. I control every facet of the site and with Dustins help, Narcissus jumping in when he has time to help with special web projects maximum71 working on the main site and cache, ninja, and revlis monitoring the board we do not have to depend on anyone else. The other investment that I have is the servers, firewall, packet shaper, racks, routers/switches and UPS. We have all gone a long way from the very first post in 2001, I remember ICQ'ing with Narcissus that first month asking him if he thought anyone would use the board, he told me to be patient and they will come. It looks like he was right. Now I am listening to wisdom of others on the board and trying to sort out my busy schedule with the personal gain I get from the site.
Cap

Just want to say a few words; I am not going to go into a lot of words on how I feel about the site, they are well know by Cap and all.
Doug,
After all the things you have done with this site and added entertainment and a home for many members, your needs, wants and desires and your family needs come first. Ideas or things that I may be able to help with. You know were I am.
Sincerely
Mike

Captain,

It seems that the concensus is that the most of the "family" wants to cover the costs of running the site. Whats wrong with "us" taking the financial responsibility and dividing it among us and paying a monthly or quarterly fee that offsets your expenses? Could take some of the pressure off.

Kent Sheldon

Paypal donations would be an excellent source of some extra cashflow until you can find other avenues to make the site self sufficient. Practically everyone is doing it now to cover hosting costs on many sites. We could even do special 'pips' as an incentive. Making it a subscription site would kill it, IMO. Nothing wrong with having a 'member supported' site, though. Just a thought.

some of the bike sites I have frequented have a "Contributor" status. I have never contributed to any of those sites, but I would this one. Good idea.

Love you Captain..this site is the best for Busa Lovers...Please keep it up and running...
Lot's of great info.......and have met several new friends..because of you......does'nt get any better than that..Laguna 03 would not have happend without you...PaceM. :super:

OK Pacemaster the "I love you Captain" has me a little weirded out right now but I get the idea. Guys I am listening to what you all have to say, I really am. However I don't want to be like any other site, I want this to be the best free site out there. Sorting out how to make something a success with limited resources has always been fun to me. Maybe that is why junkyard wars is one of my favorite shows :D I have a better vision of the site then to charge people to view content, I guess that I remember what it was like to not have enough money to subscribe to a magazine much less a website. Narc I completely agree with you! This site will never be a pay per view. We have had a lot of new membership recently and it seems as though we have lost a lot of the people that really made this place the way it is today. I need to sort out profit margins on the shirts and what it would take to supply some insurance and tracking abitilities on the shirts. I need to see where we stand and maybe looking at expanding the marketable traffic on the site. Things are looking a little better today than last week, I took my prozac :cool: :cool: :cool:

I want this to be the best free site out there.
Already achieved that goal Cap.......now fer yer next goal.......turning a profit with it.

Took me three weeks to get mine.........didn't see me complaining whatsoever...........I mean come on it's just a shirt, albeit the coolest shirt around. What a ridiculous thing to squeel to paypal about.......Who was it Cap......yeah I know, yer to classy to tell us, I can respect that, but I'm sure curious.
Set up the donation box!!!!!!!

Have a great day big guy........hope it all goes well for ya.

:thumbsup: :beerchug:

OK Pacemaster the "I love you Captain" has me a little weirded out right now but I get the idea. Guys I am listening to what you all have to say, I really am. However I don't want to be like any other site, I want this to be the best free site out there. Sorting out how to make something a success with limited resources has always been fun to me. Maybe that is why junkyard wars is one of my favorite shows :D I have a better vision of the site then to charge people to view content, I guess that I remember what it was like to not have enough money to subscribe to a magazine much less a website. Narc I completely agree with you! This site will never be a pay per view. We have had a lot of new membership recently and it seems as though we have lost a lot of the people that really made this place the way it is today. I need to sort out profit margins on the shirts and what it would take to supply some insurance and tracking abitilities on the shirts. I need to see where we stand and maybe looking at expanding the marketable traffic on the site. Things are looking a little better today than last week, I took my prozac :cool: :cool: :cool:
Just don't take to much of that stuff.. :devil:

F**k EM and feed them S**T If you have to charge for the site just let me know where to send the $$$$$ this is a great place I've met so many great people here and I know I have more to meet.Your work is outstanding and I hope you continue to offer this site to us .If you need anything I got your Back!Maybe we can rustle up some sponsors.

Captain....as of noon on Monday October 6...do you have any long sleeve (x-large) shirts available....white or black?

Back