Going from a Ninja 300 to a Hayabusa

Notsure

Registered
Love the Hayabusa, but worried it will overpower me and also the weight. Been on the ninja 300 for 3 years and 15000 km. Love it and it handles great and I have learned a lot from it but I know the Hayabusa will obviously be an entirely different beast. I don't want a super sport or another ninja but have been told to get a 650 ninja or something like it before moving on to a Hayabusa I appreciate this advice and understand it. So will I be overwhelmed if I go to it next?

Very first thing you need to do first time you throw a leg over the busa is go wot and give it all its got so you know exactly what kind of change in power your dealing with.:laugh::thumbsup::laugh::p:laugh::lol:
JUST KIDDING! DONT DO THAT!:lol:
:welcome:

I aint the best for giving advice by any means :D but I would think riding it around very responsibly for a week or so to get used to the size and weight differance going straight from a 300 ninja to the busa, how it handles, how suspension, brakes respond, that kinda stuff..before ripping the throttle skyward:super:

After getting my motorcycle endorsement I took a advance riding course before purchasing a motorcycle. The course focused on throttle control, counter steering, vision and corning. It was a great experience.

Your 3 years on a Ninja gives you valuable riding experience ! I hope you have developed good riding habits.

I purchased a '02 Busa after riding my cruiser for a year. When I started the 'Busa from the first time to load it on the trailer, I KNEW it was something special !

I was "ready" for the power delivery and riding characteristics of a 'Busa because of the advanced riding course and the experience of riding for a year. (I can ride year round where I live)

Here is the but; and it's a BIG but; a 'Busa will give you all of what you ask for AND more !

Be prepared, it's a great ride.

Love the Hayabusa, but worried it will overpower me and also the weight. Been on the ninja 300 for 3 years and 15000 km. Love it and it handles great and I have learned a lot from it but I know the Hayabusa will obviously be an entirely different beast. I don't want a super sport or another ninja but have been told to get a 650 ninja or something like it before moving on to a Hayabusa I appreciate this advice and understand it. So will I be overwhelmed if I go to it next?

It should calm your nerves a bit when you realize that (every) Busa owner went from a ‘lesser’ bike to a Hayabusa. Almost everyone had a smaller and lighter bike with much less power. Heavy cruiser riders found out how light the Busa is and how well it handles in comparison. Coming from a light weight Ninja you’ll learn how heavy the Busa is but the weight and aerodynamics is what makes it the most stable motorcycle at speed. Respecting the power is all you have to do.

I know I'm late but I went from a Ninja 250 having never ridden anything bigger than a 250. And I had less than 2 years of riding and went to a busa. I was fine I kept it in c mode for the first day. After that I went to a mode. It's a whole different beast. Be easy on the throttle until you get used to the bike and you'll be fine.

The last bike I had was a 79 Kawasaki 750, and I got rid of it in 1998. Haven't ridden since and fell in love with the Busa when I was looking for bikes a month ago. Be easy on the throttle and you'll be fine, and like others have said, find a nice stretch of straight road and open it up SLOWLY to get a little more comfy with the speed/power. I have only put about 300 miles on it since I got it up to par and it feels f'ing great. Don't rush trying to see everything it will do, this MF'er is fast as hell and will beat you like a red headed step child if you aren't prepared for it.

Just be easy on it or else you'll have a f'ed up day. The busa is as tame is a kitten when you want it to be but pull back the throttle and the wild cat comes out.

Exactly, it is very docile until you get on the throttle, it can be ridden around all day at moderate speeds, just because it can go fast doesn't mean it needs to. You will notice the weight right away but it's handling characteristics are good and it stops good.

You can leave it in A mode as you have to want to go fast to do so in any mode.

I think you will be better off going from a 300 to a Busa than from nothing to say a 600 because you have experienced the limits of tires etc at lower speeds. This is why our friends in the EU have to "move up" through the ranks to get to sizable bikes and as a whole are better riders. :bowdown: To get the feel of limits on a 600 or 750 you have to be in triple digits to do so therefore most never do. I started out with dirt bikes so I don't get :shocked: when the back slides out on me, I just giggle. :welcome: to the oRg.

Australia has always had motorcycle license restrictions . Formally capacity , like when I was a lad , when we had to make do with RD250LC's and RZ250's RG's and KR's , because of 250cc maximum limit . Man those 2 strokes were weapons , giant killers , in my home town race tracks ... I mean meandering maze of roads in the Adelaide Hills . Nowadays however , the restriction is HP , so factories have certain bikes of various capacity , that will be eligible for learner riders . It is a better system than cc , because the bikes to choose from suit all sorts of riders physicality better than just small bikes only .
I think jumping from a small hp or cc bike straight up to a 1,000cc can be risky , or even worse lethal to novice riders , especially with the serious hp today bikes are producing . Also , you miss out on a whole world of diverse motorcycling , that all ranges of motorcycles leading up to big bore cycles encompass . Sort of rites of passage , learning how to ride to survive on less hp and cc , so then build up to something crazy fast with capacity in due time , when you have knowledge to match your machine choice .

Australia has always had motorcycle license restrictions . Formally capacity , like when I was a lad , when we had to make do with RD250LC's and RZ250's RG's and KR's , because of 250cc maximum limit . Man those 2 strokes were weapons , giant killers , in my home town race tracks ... I mean meandering maze of roads in the Adelaide Hills . Nowadays however , the restriction is HP , so factories have certain bikes of various capacity , that will be eligible for learner riders . It is a better system than cc , because the bikes to choose from suit all sorts of riders physicality better than just small bikes only .
I think jumping from a small hp or cc bike straight up to a 1,000cc can be risky , or even worse lethal to novice riders , especially with the serious hp today bikes are producing . Also , you miss out on a whole world of diverse motorcycling , that all ranges of motorcycles leading up to big bore cycles encompass . Sort of rites of passage , learning how to ride to survive on less hp and cc , so then build up to something crazy fast with capacity in due time , when you have knowledge to match your machine choice .
Hi notsure. You have pick one of the fastest bike. like they say be careful until you learn the bike. When I picked my 1999 I knew it was the best bike to add 600 + HP to. You can make the BUSA into the best bike in the world for YOU!

While the Busa can be an intimidating Beast, it is also capable of being tamed much like any other bike in my opinion. My first bike was an R1 after test riding my friend's GSXR 600...once. Drove the R1 home from the dealership with about an hour of previous riding experience. 15 years later, two R1's, and now the Busa have made me a firm believer in a very simple fact. Respect the bike, and it'll respect you. I've never laid one down, and I have definitely pushed the limits on all of my machines...as soon as I was comfortable doing so. To me, absolutely nothing compares to having my Busa wide open while going through the gears...it's just a violent machine when you unleash it (and to the folks that mod past 200 whp or slap a turbo on, I can only imagine for now what that must be like!) However, easy on the clutch and easy on the throttle will get you an awesomely streetable machine at "responsible" speeds and enough room to grow that it'll keep you satisfied for years :-]

Respect the bike and it will respect you. Disrespect it and I'll be scraping your body off the pavement and washing your blood down a drain with an 1 3/4" attack line attached to my fire truck.

Not trying to scare you away from a Hayabusa but keep in mind it's a different beast from a 300. Its an entire liter bigger than your 300 which speaks volumes in itself. It will only go as fast as the throttle is twisted. As for its weight, while it may be a heavy bike in comparison its weight isnt much a factor once it's off the stand.

Back