Going from 17 to 16 tooth front sprocket....

The Big Red One

Registered
Hey guys just wondering how big a diff a 16 in the front will make over the 17 tooth stocker...gearings all stock now, as is bike. Are we talking wheelie-ville or just a little more snap? And will cruising 75-80 put me in the 4500-5000 vibration spot? Also how much will it throw my speedo/odo/fuel mileage read-out off? And will I have to take a chain link out? thanks for any and all feedback...I'm trying to decide if I wanna try the 16 or not  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099213483 -->

Well i can't answer all your question but yeah alot more snap milage will go down some still depends on your throttle
And yes it will wheelie easier a bit more then ya think but that also depends on your riding posture and your size if your a big guy then it will be a bit easier if your a smaller guy then it will be alot easier as for teh speedo i think it throws it off about 7% i know i was 14 with 16 42 gearing and i haven't yet calibrated my 18 42 gearing but i also switched to 220 gauges so that throws it off some also

Sorry, but I can't answer exactly either. I recently switched to 16/42 and it is a lot more snapier. Cruising at 55 with this setup puts you at 3600 RPM in 6th. My bike is lowered, but it will still bring up the front wheel in first under accel. You will have to get a speedohealer or a yellowbox to compesate for the gearing change.

One tooth in front is equal to 2.5 teeth in the rear. You'll get longer chain life if you go up 3 on the rear. Front sprocket is cheap though, I think about $17? I went up three in the rear and it changed my speedo 8%. If you are looking for wheelies, change the rear. It will shorten your wheel base by 3/8 inches and believe it or not, that helps on wheelies. I have noticed no difference in mileage with three up on the rear. You'll like your scooter much better with lower gears. With three up in the rear or one down in the front you will still do 180 top end. Still to fast for the street. Wheelies will be easier as well as you'll get more drive through all the gears. Do it, you'll be happy!

stock is off 7-8 % when you go to a 16 frint and a 40 back speed will be off 10-11%

18 will give you a top end about 176mph

You will be quicker of the line.

Thanks a ton for the info guys...I've ordered the 16, but I'm kinda having second thoughts. I'd love the extra snap, but I'm kinda worried that the 16's gonna put my highway cruise speed (75-80) right into the vibration zone at 4700 rpm's or so. And the Busa's so smooth now I hate to ruin it
wow.gif
I'm prolly gonna try it and see...can't hurt eh?
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
And if I keep the 16 on should I get a speedohealer or yellow box? thanks again guys
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I'd say you need a SpeedoHealer or Yellow Box regardless. The 'Busa speedo is off with stock gearing.

Dropping a tooth on the front is the cheapest horsepower you can buy and the most popular mod. You'll be happy. However, if you like the results and you don't like the added vibration, put the stock front back on and go to a 43T rear. The stock front is a big heavy rascal and your aftermarket 16T will be thin and very light. The added weight of the stock front dampens the vibration from the engine such as the flywheel in your car. I always change the rear sprocket instead of the front unless I need to change them both. I just drooped a tooth on the front of my Gixxer 1K but had already added two to the rear just to make it a good wheelie scooter. Also, with your 16T front you'll out pull your buddies on their stock busa's.

I'll be ordering a speedohealer in the next couple of days then
biggrin.gif
And thanks for the extra info Tuf...I never thought about the weight diff between stock fronts and aftermarket and how it affects the vibes...good info
wink.gif
Now do I have to pull my left side plastic for the front sprocket change?....the service manual doesn't quite say for just the sprocket...but it looks like I prolly do. Thanks again guys
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back