Goin back to dino oil

chrisarrington

Registered
I went to Amsoil synthetic at 600 miles on the odometer. After that I read some of the different views on doing this. I am at 3600 miles now. Should I just keep synthetic or go back to dino oil for awhile.

You can search endless threads discussing synthetic oil. The convincing factor for me is a local racer dirt racer here that since switching to synthetic, sees virtually no wear in his engines upon teardown, compared to moderate wear before. For me, my baby is worth it
smile.gif

Keep synlube in it .

I put synlube in them from the git-go on built engines because of the build cleanliness and no machining swarf to drain .

Factory engines I wait till 200 miles so to drain all the above out + assembly lube they use which makes for a full run on synlube instead of shorter to drain the junk . I drain most of it by dumping the oil and adding new w/o filter change at 100 miles or so . Get the rest out at 200 miles . Really kinda of a flush .

This is a Busa site and the topic is Busa engines . Other engines might need slight different routine . Ninja 250 being one of them as example . They throw off big wear metal for a much longer time and some of it can polish the bores .

(chrisarrington @ Mar. 28 2007,13:15) That is one thing I noticed when I did the first oil change.  There was not alot of metal shavings on the drain plug.
There wasnt on mine either... i have almost 7000 on mine now and it wasnt until like the 2nd and 3rd oil changes that i noticed alot of shavings... i say alot cause relitive to the first oil change it was alot more... Probably cause i stuck to the book on the break in period... keeping it below such and such rpms until 600 miles and so on...

(chrisarrington @ Mar. 28 2007,16:15) That is one thing I noticed when I did the first oil change.  There was not alot of metal shavings on the drain plug.
Because the majority of break-in wear metals are non ferrous . Not speaking left over machine swarf  that the Busa and Suzuki's in general have very little of .

Chromium is considered ferrous but it's not magnetic like iron or steel .

The other metals too large to pass through the oil pump inlet screen must be drained out and thats "one" of the reasons I go for a filter change every interval  and don't suscribe to additional earth magnets attached to sump or oil filter theories  .

I always change filters when changing oil. I don't believe any other way. I didn't really follow the break in schedule but I didn't wring it off either. I did go straight to synthetic at 600 and will be following the factory service manual for the rest of the oil changes.

Back