God forbid you need parts

Rev,I totaly understand what you are saying,but it just sux when you have to get on the phone,whip out your credit card just to order a 5 dollar item.

When I was really into the Harley thing,9 times outta 10 they had my part in stock,but that is only prolly cause they have a fast turn around on 'stocked parts' due to them breaking down all the time!!

Hey,I should open up a Hayabua only parts shop....
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

We have over 122,000 parts at the shop up north.  That's just individual part numbers, not total number of each.  
But they dont stock Mobil 1!

JK Rev:)
smile.gif
 Nope, But we do stock oil that is actually going to be worth the money.  

Hook yourself up with some Motul 300V full synthetic.  Good stuff.
I just helped a buddy change oil in his R6 last weekend with that stuff $13.95 a quart! Pass! I Like my $8 a quart MX4T for the riding I do. That Motul is good stuff but man. I yell at my wife for getting $75 oil changes on her Expedition. Let alone doing them for myself on my bike.

You would think they could keep the plastic push pins in stock . You know the large ones that fit you inners into the frame . BUT NOOOO! They have to order those too.

You would think they could keep the plastic push pins in stock . You know the large ones that fit you inners into the frame . BUT NOOOO! They have to order those too.
They prolly do or they should, but they might be sold out, folks go through them pretty quickly. Take one to your Local Honda Automotive parts counter. Should be able to find a stack for not much money.

Everytime I call my local dealer for any part,they dont have it in stock!
I'm talking about any little thing! I bet they dont even have the cotter pin for the rear axel.
Why is this? Now I can understand why your bike will be in the shop for 2 weeks for any routine maintenance....
Simply because bike shops don't make a whole lot of money after the sale of a bike besides maybe some gear. Most people do a lot of their own mechanical work when possible. I have the same exact problem here, but if you need a part, and as long as you place your order before 12 noon, it will be in the next day (although there is a charge). My local bike shop just recently raised their hourly labor charge from $45 to $70 per hour. The excess inventory has to be counted on the books at the end of the year which is not a good thing when managing your taxes.

I understand that the local stealership can't stock everything, but more often than not, common items have to be ordered.

That's bad enough, but not only do I have to pay the mark up for them to order it, I then have to visit or call them 4 times to keep them on top of it
mad.gif

Sorry, back ordered,
nope, hasn't arrived yet,
truck is due tommorow,
check is in the mail and so forth

No thanks, if you have to order it, well, I can order it too, and have it shipped to my door to boot
tounge.gif

And I'll get it cheaper too
biggrin.gif

Everytime I call my local dealer for any part,they dont have it in stock!
I'm talking about any little thing! I bet they dont even have the cotter pin for the rear axel.
Why is this? Now I can understand why your bike will be in the shop for 2 weeks for any routine maintenance....
Simply because bike shops don't make a whole lot of money after the sale of a bike besides maybe some gear. Most people do a lot of their own mechanical work when possible. I have the same exact problem here, but if you need a part, and as long as you place your order before 12 noon, it will be in the next day (although there is a charge). My local bike shop just recently raised their hourly labor charge from $45 to $70 per hour. The excess inventory has to be counted on the books at the end of the year which is not a good thing when managing your taxes.
Actually there is a significant amount of money and higher profit in the aftermarket sales, parts, accessories. Higher profit and long term profit.

thumbs-up.gif

No Crap,,, I was needing two turn signal bulbs and it was going to be 10 days for bulbs... I spent all day going from car parts place to car parts place to find them. Was last thing I needed for my bike. You would think they would have freakin bulbs for a bike that has been in production for as long as the Busa, come on!!!!

No Crap,,, I was needing two turn signal bulbs and it was going to be 10 days for bulbs... I spent all day going from car parts place to car parts place to find them. Was last thing I needed for my bike. You would think they would have freakin bulbs for a bike that has been in production for as long as the Busa, come on!!!!
+1 I agree with what Rev says above however things like bulbs, brake pads should be on hand.

it's just the piss poor buisiness model that is followed today by most.

low overhead on the model specific items, especially OEM items.

however, if you want generic apparel or high dollar B.S. accessories... then the dealership is the place for you!

wow.gif

Great post there Revlis! Should make everyone a little more tollerable with their dealer while waiting for parts.

I am one of those guys that keeps lots of little goodies in my tool box that I think I may need. I keep extra brake pads, push pull pins, cotter pins, fairing bolts, plastic windscreen bolts, along with many other items I think I may need, especially fork seals. I always keep in stock a fork seal and dust seal. I had a leaking seal a couple of weeks ago so I jus took my seal and fork leg to the dealer, changed it and had them order a new seal for my tool box since it was under warranty. Beats the hell out of waiting a week for a new seal.

Just keep in mind if the dealer don't turn over a part every 30 days, they are not going to keep it in stock.

Support your local dealer. Without your support, you could find yourself dealerless in the future. Now that would be far worse than waiting on a part for a few days.

Without your support, you could find yourself dealerless in the future. Now that would be far worse than waiting on a part for a few days.
if we're dealer-less...then who is selling us the bikes that we want items for?
rock.gif

really, reverse the thinking...it's the dealers that need to support the customers...a long forgotten art called customer service.

wink.gif

Just stopped by the local suzuki dealership that I get my parts from. I wanted a pair of valve stems. Guess what??? They didnt have any in stock. So the stems will be next dayed over. Funny as the stems fit all of the suzuki models and non in stock.

Without your support, you could find yourself dealerless in the future. Now that would be far worse than waiting on a part for a few days.
if we're dealer-less...then who is selling us the bikes that we want items for?
rock.gif

really, reverse the thinking...it's the dealers that need to support the customers...a long forgotten art called customer service.

wink.gif
Sure to a point...

But there are Legions of Ignorant, Self Important folks out there, that show up at the dealership with over blown senses of entitlement, and piss poor attitudes, EXPECTING to get ripped off and treating everyone at the store with scorn. MANY of these, are the Sportbike riders and worse, They are the Busa riders and liter bike owners. Seem to think that they are special. Deserving of extra attention, they strut through te dealership wanting SOMEBODY to notice their fancy Arai or whatever...

Customer service works wonders when customers are there with open minds. So many show up already full of attitude there isn't much that can be done.

Now you're point about Who would sell us the bikes? That is exactly the POINT! Dealership GONE, no more bikes to buy, you will have to travel and deal with NOT having any support locally.

The Art isn't forgotten entirely, but many times it's lost on the clients.

Sure to a point...

But there are Legions of Ignorant, Self Important folks out there, that show up at the dealership with over blown senses of entitlement, and piss poor attitudes, EXPECTING to get ripped off and treating everyone at the store with scorn. MANY of these, are the Sportbike riders and worse, They are the Busa riders and liter bike owners. Seem to think that they are special. Deserving of extra attention, they strut through te dealership wanting SOMEBODY to notice their fancy Arai or whatever...

Customer service works wonders when customers are there with open minds. So many show up already full of attitude there isn't much that can be done.

Now you're point about Who would sell us the bikes? That is exactly the POINT! Dealership GONE, no more bikes to buy, you will have to travel and deal with NOT having any support locally.

The Art isn't forgotten entirely, but many times it's lost on the clients.
I see the business end of the logic...
However! A place that decides it's more important to stock keychains and t-shirts because they can sit on the shelves longer without losing as much (or any) money on them is just crap.

I could do without seeing a lot less accessories and low end helmets sprawled all of the show room floor and appreciate someone having some actual parts for the bikes they sell on hand.

A parts room should be able to assemble most of a bike not including the frame and major pieces of the engine. Especially anything that is a cosmetic or considered a 'wear item' or consumable.
You can't really stock every part for every bike....but those that sell the most of or the ones that are the higher $$$ models like the Busa and the 1K should be strongly considered....unless your dealership sells mostly small stuff or dirt/cruiser/marine craft oriented machines.

If a Busa owner walks in to the dealership where they spent 11~13K for a bike...yeah, they're going to expect you to have a few parts on hand....and they're going to get pissy about you not even stocking aftermarket windscreens for them. Or having fairing bolts...or chains...or a clutch pack....or so many other common sense items.

If you want cutomers to be a little more understanding and not 'EXPECTING to get ripped off'....try not gouging them with 65/hr rates and 'set-up fees' ...this fee..that fee...
You want us to see your side of it at the time of sale... so understand our side when you can't stock plastic pushpins that should cost a dime a piece...but you do have a dozen of those 'chrome' adhesive overlays for the Busa dash panel priced at 55~60.00 each!

wow.gif

There is only one dealership in my area that is open on Sundays... and do carry some parts...and I will only patron them. They know that people that break stuff racing Saturday night...will fix it Sunday morning. Even if the sales department is closed one day a week...the parts and service people should be they 7 days...if there's work to be done.
That dealership is about 30 miles farther away from the one just a few minutes from me...I almost NEVER go to the dealer on my bike....and still there is poor customer service.
You have to treat every person like they have 10K in their pockets and ready to spend it....get past your personal impression of their attitudes. Their money is just as green as the guy who buys the goldwing.

A satisfied customer will tell tell a few friends ands word will spread.... a pissed off customer will tell anyone that will listen!

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156310922 -->

i work in a warehouse and understand not being able to carry that much overhead but i have "5= five" dealers within 30 miles of me. three multi line and 2 zuki. not a one of them had a single amber front turn signal bulb? and my dumb azz drove to all of them.
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|drewco22
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156314207 -->

HEHE... I know the feeling....that's why I call or wind up at little shops that have the items I want....or just use the WEB to solve it.

I hope nobody thinks I am pissing in thier coffee... I just hate to see the almighty bottom dollar win out against the customer ever friggin time.

wink.gif

Back