GoAWOL down....run in with a deer

GoAWOL

Abiit, excessit, evasit
Donating Member
Registered
On my way to work this morning just before sunrise. Two lane road in a farm area with little vehicle traffic. Had some decent light but the weather was overcast so visibility was not 100%. Road was dry in most places. I came around a gentle turn onto a straightaway doing at or around 55 mph which is the posted speed limit.

Two deer were making their way across the same real estate I just happened to be trying to occupy and the outcome wasn't pleasant. I believe I clipped the second one which caused a head shake and pushed me onto the wet, grassy shoulder off the road. I had time to utter a couple of motivational phrases like, "You got it! You can get this!", before the front tire washed out and I low-sided. I estimate the slide was approximately 100ft or so. Thank God most of this occurred off of the asphalt and I was wearing all of my gear.

Lessons learned: At first I thought there was nothing to be learned because the deer were essentially unavoidable. If I were driving my truck in the same situation we'd be having deer for dinner.

But after discussing the accident with my wife she pointed out the obvious.... there is a valuable lesson to be learned and that is ATGATT. I was able to jump up and pick my bike out of the muck I had wrecked in because my gear prevented my elbow from crashing into the asphalt and my riding pants prevented my skin from being flayed off of me. My helmet,boots and gloves all did their job too. In a single instance my gear payed for itself in a way you cannot place a value on.

Anywho...on to the pics. My gorgeous, sexy, black beauty is a bit dinged up.

P9120299.JPG

P9120301.JPG

P9120302.JPG

P9120304.JPG

I'd like to thank Rockadaous for his positive comments and support when I called him to let him know...thanks brother! Your words of encouragement helped make this sucky accident not seem too bad.:beerchug:

Hey, bro...mixed emotions.

Very sorry about the event, but so relieved that you're o.k. Definitely a lesson in there; your wife is right.

Please let me know if there are any parts/pieces you might need. I've got a couple of items (not many, but...) around.

Smart man on the 'gear'.

Oh...and WAY TO GO, ROCK!!!

Hey, bro...mixed emotions.

Very sorry about the event, but so relieved that you're o.k. Definitely a lesson in there; your wife is right.

Please let me know if there are any parts/pieces you might need. I've got a couple of items (not many, but...) around.

Smart man on the 'gear'.

Oh...and WAY TO GO, ROCK!!!

Thanks Scar...sincerely appreciate the offer. I'll have a better idea what the extent of the damage is when I get over this and go out and clean the bike up. Right now I can't look. :cry:

Thanks Scar...sincerely appreciate the offer. I'll have a better idea what the extent of the damage is when I get over this and go out and clean the bike up. Right now I can't look. :cry:

The "key word" being you can look and not in the hospital.

r8

I,m so glad you are OK and able to post up! I had a run in with a deer one year ago today. I know how you are feeling with your busa hurtin. Get a list of what you need so we can help you get it back in shape. Here is a shot of mine after the low side, and with the help of many org members she was as good as neww in a few weeks after the spill.:thumbsup:

IMG00276.jpg

Hopefully it'll look better after a bath. I see the stator cover survived and they typically don't. Glad you're alright. :thumbsup:

Sean man glad to see you come out unscaved brother,I gave Jon(Loomis) a box of parts i had left over if their is something you need maybe its in that box screews and misc stuff..Again glad to see your alright and the bike will be just fine with the help of the ORG

I wish I had some parts bro. Very glad you are ok and were wearing you gear.

Sean,
Post up what you need. Also, lt me know if there will be a rebuild party! I am there! Glad you are okay.

Glad you are ok, I know I have a full stock exhaust and a few other things laying around, Im right down the street, let me know if you need it.

Back