Go-cart research

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
On Mother's Day I had the brilliant idea to turn over half of our property in to a massive go-cart track. I was feeling nostalgic, watching old videos of a former life with my little sons and their very first battery operated go-carts, that we'd started building a track in our yard way back then...

New life, new place. We have nearly 6 acres of woods, so it'll be quite a job, but we're starting the clearing and have tons of room to play.

I'm looking for info on go-carts, anyone have experience with some of the out-of-the-box buys or what to avoid? So far, I've found this: RedFox Powersports

#ForScabMFG ~ #GoKartsGetTheJobDone ~ #KartsRock ~ #THEoRg *

Last edited:
On Mother's Day I had the brilliant idea to turn over half of our property in to a massive go-cart track. I was feeling nostalgic, watching old videos of a former life with my little sons and their very first battery operated go-carts, that we'd started building a track in our yard way back then...

New life, new place. We have nearly 6 acres of woods, so it'll be quite a job, but we're starting the clearing and have tons of room to play.

I'm looking for info on go-carts, anyone have experience with some of the out-of-the-box buys or what to avoid? So far, I've found this: RedFox Powersports

Are you going to be making a paved track??

If you are making an off road style track maybe some of the side by sides might be good?

if there are any active go cart tracks around you, you could pose the question to the operator as they'd have all kinds of contacts. Sadly we have no go cart tracks here anymore as the liability insurance drove them out.

Hey Em. Are you wanting go-carts for maybe visiting little kids to be safer in? Strapped in,some kind of roll-cage?
If not,why not just go with a few of the same older quads?
Older Yamaha Raptors say,they really rip. If I were doing it,whatever vehicle I chose I would want them to all be the same.Same cc's,same mods or no mods,etc. Then you get some serious fun as the machines capabilities are not the big factor,rider skillz and the size of one's "private parts" :D are.
Kind of like IROC or something similar. I would go for quads before say an "off-shore" go-cart which could be a hassle for parts etc.
Good fun to be had for sure.:thumbsup:
Andy.

This will all be on dirt, through the woods, and my kids just last week rigged some huge swing at their Dad's house that involved leaping from a backhoe. Both showed up to my house with rope burns and sore backs :laugh: :laugh: so let's just say that at 17 and 19, they are gonna do whatever they're gonna do...

Yeah, roll-cage is likely just a "good idea" given how much they take risks already, and how competitive they both are. Eh, we all are.

I like the idea of a side-by-side, they want fast, I want fun...

This will all be on dirt, through the woods, and my kids just last week rigged some huge swing at their Dad's house that involved leaping from a backhoe. Both showed up to my house with rope burns and sore backs :laugh: :laugh: so let's just say that at 17 and 19, they are gonna do whatever they're gonna do...

Yeah, roll-cage is likely just a "good idea" given how much they take risks already, and how competitive they both are. Eh, we all are.

I like the idea of a side-by-side, they want fast, I want fun...
Be nice if Honda still made the Odyssey..it was a great little buggy for one person and had a full roll cage.

My youngest has already said he'd like for us to invest in dirt bikes, but they're pretty pricey - I think I could score go-carts cheaper...who knows...why not have all the toys? Build the track, they will come!
when I was young we built a track in the woods. Hard to believe that the same kids who pouted at the mentions of a lawn mower hand cut a pretty big track out of woods and even managed to fall a couple pretty big trees. It was fun to ride and we rode it with mini bikes, motorcycles, go karts and even 10-speed bikes. I don't think our parents had a clue until the owner called the police and they brought us all home in the patty wagon! Those were the good days for sure.

when I was young we built a track in the woods. Hard to believe that the same kids who pouted at the mentions of a lawn mower hand cut a pretty big track out of woods and even managed to fall a couple pretty big trees. It was fun to ride and we rode it with mini bikes, motorcycles, go karts and even 10-speed bikes. I don't think our parents had a clue until the owner called the police and they brought us all home in the patty wagon! Those were the good days for sure.

Yep, good days indeed!! :cool:

For a giggle, I looked into our area for ideas as to what off road machine you could get easy and inexpensively..

I've come to the conclusion, it is a costly venture to go into the side by side market...they are not cheap.

Getting 4 wheelers might not be too bad or smaller CC dirt bikes.

All the go-cart type machines I saw were made for a smoother surface.

For a giggle, I looked into our area for ideas as to what off road machine you could get easy and inexpensively..

I've come to the conclusion, it is a costly venture to go into the side by side market...they are not cheap.

Getting 4 wheelers might not be too bad or smaller CC dirt bikes.

All the go-cart type machines I saw were made for a smoother surface.

The initial talk was of my sons building carts.....I have yet to see that go further than a discussion, so I see the side-by-sides for all terrain, seem pricey, but not horrible ($1800/each, shipped).

I'm not a fan of ATVs simply because I know what we'll all be trying to do on these, and the possibility of rolling 'em down a 40 ft embankment is real...something lower to the ground and with race suspension is better than sitting up on the ATV-style rides...

I'll keep researching......

The initial talk was of my sons building carts.....I have yet to see that go further than a discussion, so I see the side-by-sides for all terrain, seem pricey, but not horrible ($1800/each, shipped).

I'm not a fan of ATVs simply because I know what we'll all be trying to do on these, and the possibility of rolling 'em down a 40 ft embankment is real...something lower to the ground and with race suspension is better than sitting up on the ATV-style rides...

I'll keep researching......

You can find a side by side for $1800....? The cheapest used side by side I see around here is around $8k up to around $18k....

If you had a good wrecking yard around you where you could go get all the parts you need to build carts, that might work...

Perhaps find old lawn tractors and build carts out of those???

Back