go back to my old job?

mynewride

Registered
hey guys and gals.

i currently work for the coleman company (yes the lantern/cooler maker) in mainenance as an electrician. i took this job when the economy took a huge poo on my electrical career. i was and still am a proud union member of IBEW local 271. in january of 09 i was laid off. signed the books at 140 something. didnt get back to work till first of october 09. worked till june of 2010. this time i wasnt going to sit back for another 9-12 months with no income. so i looked into maint. at coleman. i took the job at almost $10/hr less. 18.74 to be exact. i have been here almost a year and im still at 18.74

i have finished up the training to get 2 raises and the boss keeps draggin his feet. he told me friday that he was going on vacation for 3 weeks and would finish it on monday (leaves for italy tues.)...today. anyhow i get here and he is supposed to be here to discuss my raise. tadaaaa, he left early. oh yea i forgot to tell ya i got bumped to second due to them losing 3 electricians on second. its supposed to be temporary till the 18th of this month. that really pissed me off, but that is a whole nother rant all on its own. being on second is why i missed him. needless to say he left me hangin for 3 weeks without my raise.

now i get a call from the union hall wanting me to come back. work outlook is much better and i would be back to work making 27.65 plus pension and health insurance that i dont have here.

problem is im not sure what i should do. i like the job at coleman aside from this small jaunt on second shift. its steady work and i always know where im going to be and what time i will get off. however the pay sucks and my boss obviously doesnt want to keep me around or something as he keeps putting off my raise. not like it costs "him" anything.

my ultimate goal is to get on spirit maint. i was hoping to get some good experience (and i am) here and then move on to bigger and better things. i was also expecting to be making 24.85 by now. so the pay is really bumming me out. im not broke and i know how to manage money, but when i need a new weed wacker i like to know i have no problem just buying it. i dont like having to squeeze things into the budget.

so do i keep making poor money and getting good experience in hopes to land the job at spirit or do i say screw it and get back to making good money. not to mention getting my retirement back on track and having good health insurance.

i keep telling myself that im looking past tomorrow, but it seems like it will never come.

any input or opinions are welcome. sorry about the book...i just wanted to try to explain as much of my situation as possible. i just want to be sure im gonna choose the right path. my wife supports either.

Tough decision and only one you can make as you are the only one who has to live with that decision.

My outside looking perspective tells me that you can not pass up your old job with the good pay, medical and retirement.

If you do the total earnings from both jobs to include retirement, medical and pay the union job out weighs the Coleman job by a land slide.

Scott

Thats a tuff decision, on one hand you can go back to the lifestyle you had or just stay put and work your way up, it looks promising that they are wanting you back but what will happen 6-8 months from now? Me personally, jMO I would stay put and see how it pans out when the boss comes back.

medical is a necessity imo, but only you can make and informed decision on this subject.

the job i would be getting would be ironically at spirit for linder and associates. they just got a 2 million contract to upgrade some lighting. 2 year contract with a 2 year extension available with approved work. so definately 2 years of work. by then im sure things will be much better. you wouldnt believe how much work has been put off around here.

Getting almost $10 more an hour plus health ins is a big swing in income.

yea, its $388/wk or $1552/mo on a straight 40hr work week. thats just the difference in pay. not to mention the 3% that goes into my 401k and the $36 per month per year of service on my pension. and "free" health insurance.

Counstuction is on a small upswing but we are far from coming out of this slump. I wiuld be weary of your old job. They want you back now but what happens when ther slow again in 6 months? I say hold on to your current job long enought to tell your boss your thinking about leaving. If he ponys up the raise I would stay. If he tried to jip you I would split.

I think the smart thing Would be to hold out and present your options with either HR or your supervisor. See if they can put in writing a career path including pay and benefits over the next few years. I also think giving two weeks is still a good sign and good ethics so that would fit in.

When presented with the option you may not come out as good pay wise but may keep that steady work and add some money and benefits.

Good luck to you.

Thats a tuff decision, on one hand you can go back to the lifestyle you had or just stay put and work your way up, it looks promising that they are wanting you back but what will happen 6-8 months from now? Me personally, jMO I would stay put and see how it pans out when the boss comes back.

yea, and spirit pays even more and has a better pension. spirits top pay for a maint. elect. is like $32. and its IBEW L.U. 271 as well so my current pension will just roll over.

yea, and spirit pays even more and has a better pension. spirits top pay for a maint. elect. is like $32. and its IBEW L.U. 271 as well so my current pension will just roll over.

Which job will help you in the long run obtain you goal of working for Spirits? That is the job you need to be in, reguardless of pay.

Counstuction is on a small upswing but we are far from coming out of this slump. I wiuld be weary of your old job. They want you back now but what happens when ther slow again in 6 months? I say hold on to your current job long enought to tell your boss your thinking about leaving. If he ponys up the raise I would stay. If he tried to jip you I would split.

thats what im afraid of on both counts. a 2 yr contract can become 6 months over night and im afraid the "boss" will just keep putting me off.

Which job will help you in the long run obtain you goal of working for Spirits? That is the job you need to be in, reguardless of pay.

thats a tough call. im really wanting to get more exp. with programming. ill only get that here at coleman, however it would look good if i was working on spirits facilities when i apply.

thats a tough call. im really wanting to get more exp. with programming. ill only get that here at coleman, however it would look good if i was working on spirits facilities when i apply.

Can you get ahold of someone at a spirits facility and ask the people who do the hireing which experance they value the most? Ihave done that before and it gets your foot in the door if you can actully talk to someone.

its tough to talk to anyone. they hire by internet only. they employ between 10k and 15k people here in wichita alone. I have an inside track through the union, but the man in charge of hiring hates unions. so not sure he would even talk to me. it is a good idea and i will talk to the union B.A. about it.

well as i figured the boss wants me to stay 3 more weeks on second. then 4 more after that. then and then.... anyhow i have a job on the table right now. problem is i would have to start on monday and i would really like to give a notice that im leaving. the job would be back with the ibew. id make 10 more per hr, have ins. and pension....on top of all that i would get to see my wife and little girl.

i got a text tonight from my wife sayin that she has figured out how to bark like my dogs. so she was crawling around on all fours (she never does that) barking like a dog, teasing apollo and titan. these are the things im missing while im on second shift. it SUX.

i told the boss today i wanted back on first and he just got quiet. didnt answer for a while. then he says he will see what he can do. whatever...there are 4 other electricians that could rotate this second shift crap. i know im low man on totem pole, but the others are older and dont have young kids.

other thing is i have a resume into westar energy for a maint/operator job at the gordon evans power plant. it starts...starts at 34 and has health ins. i wont know anything about it for a few weeks.

so do i take the union job and maybe quickly change jobs again in a few weeks or just hang here on second till i know for sure about westar?

Tough choice.... all I can say is be careful about burning bridges never know when you need to cross over the same bridge.

so do i take the union job and maybe quickly change jobs again in a few weeks or just hang here on second till i know for sure about westar?

Well for me based on the things you have said I say go to the IBEW job and make the money, pension and benefits. You have learned to live on less money so I would bank most if not all money with the IBEW job, as you know times are tough an the extra money saved will give you options later should something go south.

Re-read your own post, everything you write about the IBEW job is put in positive light and nothing is ever really said positive about your current situation.

You know what you want to do and it comes out in your posts, take the step man and be happy, life is to short and you will NEVER get those years back with your little girl.

Tough choice.... all I can say is be careful about burning bridges never know when you need to cross over the same bridge.

i know, im going to try to talk said new employer to allow me to give at least a week notice. however job opportunities like this dont come along often.

the other thing is i hate to change jobs just to find out i was awarded the superior job at westar. damn it. im usually pretty loyal to work, and its killing me to "quit" this job. but i cant stand missing my daughters youth

grrrr. i have to have a decision by 12:00 tomorrow or i miss my opportunity with the ibew.

Back