Glowing header

Sync the throttle bodies, have the injectors cleaned and tested, check for air leaking into the boots (cracked etc), tight exhaust valves? That should cover it.

Last edited:
could be a bad injector maybe just gunked up a bit.. pull the plug and take a look at it also....

I think it may be a clogged injector. It sounded like it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders. No smoke, no gas odor, and no coolant leaks are visible. I will order some injectors and check the plugs.

I just bought some new injectors (actually some s2000 injectors). After checking all of the indicators, I am pretty sure the problem is the injectors. The bike has seen over 120# of fuel pressure and leaded c16 gas. Both are hard on injectors ,especially after 21k miles and I race it every chance I get.The bigger injectors should let me run lower fuel pressure. I'll keep updating my progress.

Your running a stage one at 120 lbs of pressure on c16 race ?
I'm really surprised after 21k miles you havent fried the motor.
Whats race it every chance i get ? Drag ? or your local show off on the highway?:laugh:

if at idle lean yes but running lean at the idle wont hurt much (if not under load) but it sounds as you need to adjust the trim on that cylinder if its through a power commander
+1 but would watch it under load too... if it has partially plugged and is showing up at idle like that, it could be worse under load..

you could just swap the injector out or even swap holes and see if the problem follows the injector.. might just be time to have them cleaned and flowed (turbo apps are a lot touchier than NA motors)

My fp is 43#s at idle it rises at around 6:1. This is why I was smashing shims in my fmu.
I have an XS 2-stage boost controller the 2nd stage is set at 11psi, but I was trying to get it dialed in at 14psi. I usually race it on 1/8th mile strips but I do play around on the streets sometimes. I never hammer it for more than 6 to 8 seconds at a time.I know that riding hard for extended periods of time blows stock spacer plated motors fast. My tuner, who races turbo bikes , told me the detonation risk is higher with extended runs (more than a 1/4 mile) and anything less than c16. The leaded gas is known for clogging injectors though. I figured when she lets go, I can build another motor with a ported head, rods and j.e. pistons.This will give me some time to score another motor. I know I"m cheap and it always bite me later.I need counseling for my cheap mental disorder I may also need a bailout.

My fp is 43#s at idle it rises at around 6:1. This is why I was smashing shims in my fmu.
I have an XS 2-stage boost controller the 2nd stage is set at 11psi, but I was trying to get it dialed in at 14psi. I usually race it on 1/8th mile strips but I do play around on the streets sometimes. I never hammer it for more than 6 to 8 seconds at a time.I know that riding hard for extended periods of time blows stock spacer plated motors fast. My tuner, who races turbo bikes , told me the detonation risk is higher with extended runs (more than a 1/4 mile) and anything less than c16. The leaded gas is known for clogging injectors though. I figured when she lets go, I can build another motor with a ported head, rods and j.e. pistons.This will give me some time to score another motor. I know I"m cheap and it always bite me later.I need counseling for my cheap mental disorder I may also need a bailout.
:laugh: racing is all about going faster and some of our experiments were best done on old stuff.. About the time you bend the blades off an intake wheel with alcohol and water, last thing you need is a $20G cylinder head to get hammered.. Long runs generate heat so yea, tends to get pretty hard on motors.. However damage from lean conditions happen almost instantly it seems

I plan to upgrade things gradually. My goal on the setup I currently have is to run the same e.t. on the 1st stage as I have on the 2nd stage.As a rider I'll maximize my skill by squeezing every bit of e.t. out the 8#s of boost. I also feel the clutch and chasis setup could be perfected.The extra boost is for those special occaissions.

You said you plan to upgrade slowly? Your running 14lbs of boost on a stock motor?
You'll be upgrading faster than you want. Your tuner is right about the extended runs too. Its not so much from the "time" as it is the duty cycle of your injectors. Do your self a HUGE favor and drop the FMU. Get some good secondaries and never look back. Stepped boost controllers are for the big boys. If your running a stock motor, your not a big boy. Consider this counseling.:laugh:
As far as squezzing out your ET's, your on the right path. Chassis, clutch and dont forget shock play a MAJOR role in that perfect launch. If you dont want to shell out the hard cash for a penske or an elka you can "get by" on a revalved stocker. Just some things you might want to consider ya know. If your serious about the drag scene take your time to get to the top. Just throwing out the money and having someone else do the work is useless. In my humble opinion. Although if you want to pay me to do the work, im available....:laugh::beerchug:

Thanks for the input. I'll take it to the strip soon. My personal record of 5.74 in the 1/8th mile is pretty good for 290#s and a daily driven bike.I think the clutch cushion could help my launch also. My shock has a stiffer spring. It took me a while to learn how to race my turbo busa. Geared, all-motor, and 60"s slammed was how it was raced until 16.5k miles. I'm thinking about taking 2psi out of it for better control.

Back