Glove Quest 2016

bigoltool

Registered
View attachment 1578311

View attachment 1567325

NXT054_Red_both_sides__05036.1416352358.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought a pair of alpinestars GP PRO gloves a couple of months ago for $220 AUD so far really impressed with the quality of them and hopefully should last a long time because I still have a early model of the same glove thats about 12 years old and it still looks and feels good never heard of the TAICHI brand but they look like a quality glove also I think you cant go wrong with either choice happy shopping :thumbsup:

Interesting stuff right there. I have never heard of this company before. The color selection is a bit lacking, but overall it sure sounds impressive.
They are mainly a roadrace outfit on the east coast you don't hear too much from them left of the Mississippi. One of the compelling reasons I got them is how long the gauntlet is. Lately I have been doing mile stuff and figure if I splash it I'll slide for a long way and the extra protection on the arms plus how the gauntlet helps keep the gloves on your hands were important to me. I have all ready lost use of two fingers due to crashing when I roadraced. If you do go with them be careful with the sizing, since they are use to dealing with pro roadracers (tiny people) if you are normal size your glove will be 3XL or 4XL.

In my original post I stated that if I could just find another pair of my Trusty Held Akira’s I would be happy. Well as it turns out I actually was shopping for Christmas and stumbled across a listing by Derby Cycles on Amazon for that very thing for $229! I looked a little deeper and they also listed a pair of Held Galaxy Gloves, in my size for $169.99! The Galaxy was the upscale model from the Akira in Helds lineup from around 10 years ago. Full Kangaroo chassis, carbon fiber, Kevlar etc. Was a no brainer for me. They are Brand spanking new, old stock, items that they had listed while they last. If this set lasts anywhere near as well as my other pair, I will be set! So Glove quest 2016 is over, for me anyways. Next will be a new Helmet...

I took a photo of my old Akiras next to the new Galaxies. Now if the roads around my house weren’t covered in sand and ice right now…

20160109_132739.jpg

I had a pair of Held Phantoms for about 8 years maybe before i wore a hole in the finger. great glove. the new version was to much so i bought some alpinestars gp pros as well and they are really nice

Great writeup Guy! Its a significant investment to buy a set of top flight gloves, (and Held rank among the very best) but once you try them theres really no going back. And the protection is peerless IMO.

In my original post I stated that if I could just find another pair of my Trusty Held Akira’s I would be happy. Well as it turns out I actually was shopping for Christmas and stumbled across a listing by Derby Cycles on Amazon for that very thing for $229! I looked a little deeper and they also listed a pair of Held Galaxy Gloves, in my size for $169.99! The Galaxy was the upscale model from the Akira in Helds lineup from around 10 years ago. Full Kangaroo chassis, carbon fiber, Kevlar etc. Was a no brainer for me. They are Brand spanking new, old stock, items that they had listed while they last. If this set lasts anywhere near as well as my other pair, I will be set! So Glove quest 2016 is over, for me anyways. Next will be a new Helmet...

I took a photo of my old Akiras next to the new Galaxies. Now if the roads around my house weren’t covered in sand and ice right now…
So now if you had a brand new pair of each in front of you for free you would pick the Galaxies? Are they true to size or run a bit tight? Thanks for the great find, because of your find I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these. (I was just clicking on the Akira when I read your post ;<)

If I am being honest, I think I like the Akira's better actually. Especially in cold weather situations. My Jacket and liner (Firstgear Jaunt T2 Jacket) are almost too much for the Gauntlet on the Galaxies. I think the Akira has a bigger gauntlet opening and I can easily tuck my sleeves into them. The Galaxies are fine without the liner in the jacket, and will be great in the summer. Can't go wrong with either of them at that price. Sizewise they are virtually the same.

Well Big that is good because I bought the Akiras :banana:color and size made it the better choice for me, so now its a win win! Thanks again Amigo.

Well I went and did about an hour and half ride yesterday AM with the Galaxies and I now think it is almost a wash for me. The Guantlets are a bit snug but work just fine. I gave them a hit of Griots Garage Leather Conditioner before the ride so they limbered up immediately.

Back