Glocks

Power

Registered
I know when I'm riding I'm packing and since I only own Glock pistols figured I'd share the site I frequent when I'm not here talking about bikes!

They are also having a contest right now giving away some pistols and holsters so if you like Glocks come on by and say howdy!

GlockForum 2013 Big Giveaway! - Glock Forum

Power

P.S. Anyone running a new Lithium Iron battery in their 'Busa? My lead-acid one died and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to upgrade to these new ones. Oh and anyone got an instrument panel from an '01 that works they want to sell? My speedo STILL is fried and I really should get it fixed.

which one did you get, the 14 or the 18? Cost is pretty high for these, I opted for a Yuasa this time but will likely spend for the LI next time. I'm reading pretty good reviews, my 'busa tends to eat batteries every 2 years even with a trickle charger and keeping it tending all winter. I don't ride as much as I'd like (kids and all that) but did a 14 hour ride last summer covering about 500 miles across Wa state and back.

:welcome: to the oRg if I missed you in '09 :thumbsup:

Thanks. I've actually been a member for longer that that I think, just been away for a while. I did a TRE mod and a small air box mod thread way back when I first got my '01 in case anyone remembers. But apparently being gone for a little while resets all my posts and counts, meh.

Light em up...

Nonaka (14) - Hatfields Shooting Team Pro Am 2009 - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Clocks?!?! never seen a post on clocks. Uh hum! G-L-O-C-K-S. 49 yo and it's definately time to look into progressive lenses.

BTW - love my Glock - rides my hip when I ride.

I've had a Glock 17, 19, and a 23. They have all come and gone. Not bad weapons by any means but I've become extremely hesitant to carry a NON-manual safety striker fired pistol. I carry every day, and I have gone through several evolutions over the years finally arriving at an EDC solution that works for me. I've come to the conclusion that the Non Manual safety pistols can increase the chances of an accident to the experienced shooter and new or casual shooter alike.

Mostly it's the ease of operation, the "any monkey can make it go boom" nature of the pistols that gives me pause. You look at the number of NDs in law enforcement (I consider them Casual users as experience has taught me that very few LEOs actually train consistently with their duty pistols) and the number of NDs in the civilian world (My own Included with an XD) though this is anecdotal. The numbers have increased since agencies began issuing the Glocks and similar. ABSOLUTELY THIS IS ALL USER ERROR! But Humans make mistakes and the short trigger pull, no external safety design, simply amplifies this. Link to google search of Accidental Discharge Glocks

Anyway, I still own a few striker fired pistols, I just do not carry them, they are range guns especially the M&P Pro with the 2.5lb Apex trigger kit. :laugh: SO I've gone to the dinosaurs, and in terms of conceal-ability, accuracy, and point-ability you just cannot beat them. Extra bonus, with a manual safety there's a slight chance that if a scumbag or innocent that somehow gets hold of your pistol they won't be able to immediately figure it out.

This is my choice, not an indictment of Glock by any means, or any other striker fired pistol. It's just that given a lack of training most gun owners possess, combined with a lack of practice and an NRA dose of over confidence the chances of an ND are scary. I see it at the range constantly, fingers on triggers from the newbs, and casual overconfidence from the experienced. It's spooky the number of folks carrying concealed without any formal training, little practice, and delusions of proficiency under stress.

Besides, Glocks are Pug Fugly :laugh: Just picking on ya. But thought I'd toss out a counterpoint. AND I still intend on adding a Glock 17L to the collection, Like I said above, nothing at all wrong with Glocks, they are fine pistols it's just the human element that I don't trust.

And for a laugh I thought for certain you all were mistyping Lithium Ion as Lithium Iron... Imagine my surprise upon a simple Google search. Never heard of Lithium Iron, so I've got some reading to do as the Griso Battery is up high and heavy... Something the Griso doesn't need as it already carries it's weigh a little high.

I have a lithium Ion battery in my 08 that I installed about a year, or just over a year ago. It cranks much faster, and even after sitting for a couple of months during the winter, started right up without a tender or charger hooked to it. The size is much smaller than stock, so this space gives me a place to put accessories and the weight is drastically lighter for those of you concerned about that sort of thing.

I like the battery, is it worth the extra money? So far, my answer is yes. Although, I am counting on it lasting for several more years and will make my final decision at that time. I hope this information helps.

One more thing, it is the one that Schnitz Racing sells, I think it was a P3 and something like 360 CCA, but don't quote me on that.

As for the Glock, it is a good weapon but I prefer the Kahr line of hand guns. That is just me though.

You point out the best thing aside from consistence , reliability. The Glock is simple, and when panic sets in and adrenaline spikes through the roof and motorskills go to heck it needs to be simple. Everything you wrote was absolutely accurate. No ADs here.

I've had a Glock 17, 19, and a 23. They have all come and gone. Not bad weapons by any means but I've become extremely hesitant to carry a NON-manual safety striker fired pistol. I carry every day, and I have gone through several evolutions over the years finally arriving at an EDC solution that works for me. I've come to the conclusion that the Non Manual safety pistols can increase the chances of an accident to the experienced shooter and new or casual shooter alike.

Mostly it's the ease of operation, the "any monkey can make it go boom" nature of the pistols that gives me pause. You look at the number of NDs in law enforcement (I consider them Casual users as experience has taught me that very few LEOs actually train consistently with their duty pistols) and the number of NDs in the civilian world (My own Included with an XD) though this is anecdotal. The numbers have increased since agencies began issuing the Glocks and similar. ABSOLUTELY THIS IS ALL USER ERROR! But Humans make mistakes and the short trigger pull, no external safety design, simply amplifies this. Link to google search of Accidental Discharge Glocks

Anyway, I still own a few striker fired pistols, I just do not carry them, they are range guns especially the M&P Pro with the 2.5lb Apex trigger kit. :laugh: SO I've gone to the dinosaurs, and in terms of conceal-ability, accuracy, and point-ability you just cannot beat them. Extra bonus, with a manual safety there's a slight chance that if a scumbag or innocent that somehow gets hold of your pistol they won't be able to immediately figure it out.

This is my choice, not an indictment of Glock by any means, or any other striker fired pistol. It's just that given a lack of training most gun owners possess, combined with a lack of practice and an NRA dose of over confidence the chances of an ND are scary. I see it at the range constantly, fingers on triggers from the newbs, and casual overconfidence from the experienced. It's spooky the number of folks carrying concealed without any formal training, little practice, and delusions of proficiency under stress.

Besides, Glocks are Pug Fugly :laugh: Just picking on ya. But thought I'd toss out a counterpoint. AND I still intend on adding a Glock 17L to the collection, Like I said above, nothing at all wrong with Glocks, they are fine pistols it's just the human element that I don't trust.

Hand guns should always be holstered when not in use. Strangely enough this is a holster thread. If you unholster a weapon it should be in your hand and your finger should not be on the trigger. 99.9999% of the time it is a ND - IMHO there really isn't such thing as a AD. And, I believe Glocks only have a higher gross number of ND / AD because there are so many in use - I don't believe they are inherently more prone to ND/AD percentage wise. I believe Glocks are the dominant LEO issued weapon or were. Revolvers are among the safest weapons and they have no safety. They are inherently safe with a long heavy double action trigger and a visual cue (moving hammer). Glocks have a passive trigger safety and are probably more inherently safe than a cocked and locked 1911 even though they have a manual safety and passive hand grip safety because of the usually very crisp SA trigger. Most LE agencies don't issue 1911 service weapons for precisely this reason. I believe the best and most inherently safe service weapon is a DA/SA hammer semi-auto with a de-cocker. A la the Sig 226 and Baretta 96.

BTW - Sig Sauer 226 is my favorite weapon bar none even though my favorite cartridge is 40 SW.

I installed a trigger lock on a G26.Takes about 15-20 minutes.Will be installing one on my youngest son's G23 when his permits arrives.Works really good and is quick to unlock on the draw.They are sent for right hand shooters but can be change for left.
[video]http://www.siderlock.com/[/video]

Hand guns should always be holstered when not in use. Strangely enough this is a holster thread. If you unholster a weapon it should be in your hand and your finger should not be on the trigger. 99.9999% of the time it is a ND - IMHO there really isn't such thing as a AD. And, I believe Glocks only have a higher gross number of ND / AD because there are so many in use - I don't believe they are inherently more prone to ND/AD percentage wise. I believe Glocks are the dominant LEO issued weapon or were. Revolvers are among the safest weapons and they have no safety. They are inherently safe with a long heavy double action trigger and a visual cue (moving hammer). Glocks have a passive trigger safety and are probably more inherently safe than a cocked and locked 1911 even though they have a manual safety and passive hand grip safety because of the usually very crisp SA trigger. Most LE agencies don't issue 1911 service weapons for precisely this reason. I believe the best and most inherently safe service weapon is a DA/SA hammer semi-auto with a de-cocker. A la the Sig 226 and Baretta 96.

BTW - Sig Sauer 226 is my favorite weapon bar none even though my favorite cartridge is 40 SW.

All that effort and your favorite is a hammer fired pistol? :) I understand the amount of glocks out there potentially being a factor in the elevated numbers of accidents. I also understand that any issue with Glocks and the other striker fired pistols out there is 100% human element. There was a significant spike in NDs when glocks first started landing in law enforcement holsters and this was based on poor training. Poor training combined with familiarity, breeds accidental booms.

It comes down to training and practice no matter the weapon being carried, and I have no argument with holsters. But for me, for my EDC I did end up finding the Glocks, the XD, and the M&Ps, non-starters. I just think that their inherent simplicity becomes a detriment to safety and proficiency. Their ease of operation leading to a misleading and dangerous familiarity. Although I still really appreciate their ability to run and run, not just Glocks, I like them but I think they've been caught up a bit by Springfield, and Smith & Wesson. Though my judgement is clouded as I really love the silver dollar groups of the M&P Pro.

Anyhoo, my answer, what works for me, turned out to be a 1911 (like I said, dinosaur) with a Sig 238 bug. I have Many Sigs including a pair of 226s and yeah they are a favorite, just too damn big for concealed carry.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with Glocks or Ballistic lithium batteries. My busa carries one of the first and two of the latter at all times ;)

I agree with Revlis, 100%, and is the only downside of a Glock - sometimes, they can be TOO easy if you carry with one in the chamber (which frankly is the ONLY 100% sure way)...just too easy to accidentally catch your finger in the trigger well (especially in split-second high adrenaline situations). Not to mention if you turn your back on it for a SECOND and someone unknowledgeable (child) get's ahold if it, there's no second chance...

I think it's one of the primary reasons that the Army picked the M9, so the hammer would be forward and first shot is double action, AND it has a safety to boot.

A Glock STILL would be my best choice (if I could just find a comfortable IWB holster), but TRAINING and ETERNAL VIGILIANCE are the key....

You need your butt kicked if a kid gets a hold of your loaded hot glock :laugh: Training , holsters have already been mentioned.

You need your butt kicked if a kid gets a hold of your loaded hot glock

Agree. My worst nightmare which is why I'm so triple cautious that I don't carry with one in the chamber - degraded gunnery, but it's a trade-off.

Back