Glock 30, Need opinions on possible buy.

You can swap a .357 sig barrel into most .40 cal glocks an vice versa and use same mags as all other parts and dimensions are same . Only thing I ever seen go wrong with a glock is in these two cals . Both have a tendency to break the edge off of the extractors . It will then sometimes not eject the round. I have seen new glocks do it and seen glocks go thru 1000s of rnds before it happened. Another thing which is a weak point in Glocks is the trigger return spring . It is a very little double hooked spring which pushes the trigger forward after every rnd. Every glock I have and have had as well as ever sold I replaced this part with what is called a 'New York' trigger which is a V shaped metal reinforced plastic spring . It comes it two weights of pull an 8lb and 10lb. Replacement of trigger spring will make your Glock last almost forever .
Link to part for better explanation :
NY-1 Factory Glock trigger Olive 8.0 lb. : for Glock at GunBroker.com

This part will create a much better feeling and consistent trigger in a Glock .

Now the two glocks I want are the .380s that are only sold in Europe. The model 25 or 28 .

RedKat if you get a glock make sure to get a NY trigger for it as it will make it last much longer and be far more reliable . Takes less than one minute to install.

I have had both a G21 and G30...traded them in for a G30 SF...the short frame definately helps...I think you can find them for around that $600 mark on gunbroker. I would get the SF model, it is "slimmer," and I had problems with my larger glocks due to having smaller hands. The "square-ness" of the grip allows it to rotate in the hand if you do not have a solid grip. the SF is more rectangular/smaller allowing better contact. At least in my case.

On the other hand, the xd 9mm compact holds 13 rounds and is VERY small...has a good track record too. I recently purchased an XDM 45 acp and they are larger than the G30...but have a very slim profle both in the slide and grip. I would say go hold some guns at a dealer because that price range is full of good choices. :beerchug:

get the Glock 33. All others are dated.

I have carried a 357 wheel gun, 44mag wheel, 45 glock, was going to the 40 until I did the research and shot the 357 sig round. Until something comes along better, the 357sig round is my choice. Check the ballistics and go shoot one... It may not work for you. Accuracy was my goal. If you cannot hit accurately at the 50 yard line..... All of the other rounds are great. I preferred the 45 for many years. I just was not getting a tight group at the 50 yard line. The 357 round worked for me. Everyone needs to use what works for them.

+1000

I carried a Glock 21 (45 ACP) at work for several years, and still rely on it as my main home defense weapon. However, the Glock 33 (357 Sig) is one mean little gun. I've been using one for everyday carry for a few years now. You're right about the accuracy. For people who find themselves out-shooting the capabilities of other carry calibers, the 357 Sig is definitely a step forward.

50 yard handgun shooting does have an application for those in LEO, military and similar roles, but if you find yourself taking a 50 yard "defensive" shot as a private citizen, that's likely a shot you should not have taken.

The Glock 30 is a fine weapon indeed. However, don't get so hung up on the reputation of 45 ACP that you overlook potentially better options, especially if concealability is high on your list. :thumbsup:

Has anyone tried the FN 5.7 ?? Just curious. I was considering it but I havent talked to anyone who actually shot and carried one..

I'm at the store now and on the fence between Glock30(feels great) and the XD .45(feels lighter)

I "pulled the trigger" on the Kimber Ultra Carry...... Put it on layaway and it's sooo sweet

I'll DEFINITELY own another Kimber 1911 again someday. But I think I'd rather have a full size 1911 for home defense

I can't afford big$ guns now either, but I have several, a Highpoint .45 for home defense. It's a brick, so you wouldn't want to carry it, but for $150 new, you can't beat it. It's one of the most accurate guns I've ever shot too. The Kimber is a great choice, as would have been the Glock. But if you ever want an extra cheapo to throw in the drawer, Highpoint!

Back