Girlfriend wants to ride

TXBusa05LE

Registered
She will be enrolling in bike class soon. What would be a good first starter bike that would end up being suitable for hanging with the Busa on future rides?

As long as your not speeding anybike will hang.
tounge.gif

I know alot of people on here recomend a SV650. They are good starter bikes and a used one can be bought cheap. Cheap insuance also.

<!--EDIT|shimmyz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138498559 -->

if her skills are up to it, a SV 650 or Honda Interceptor with ABS brakes

She will be enrolling in bike class soon.  What would be a good first starter bike that would end up being suitable for hanging with the Busa on future rides?
her height/weight/strength/confidence level...is?

if she can do it...just her a busa.

then you won't drop a bunch of coin going frm one model to the next and losing out on re-sale,adverts,time,hassle.

if she's not up for the Bus yet....ya,sv650,ninja 500,etc.

its all about the twist,if you twist too much,you can get in trouble,even on a Vespa.

I wish her all the best.... RSD. (need pics of her on new bike too).

SV650 is probably as good as you'll get for a beginner bike. Plus, if she learns how to corner well, she may be slipping past you on the twisties :-)

One of my son's race buddies races the SV650 and that guy is smokin fast. All 70 HP and he is only 5 seconds behind the fastest 600's. I have not seen a busa yet who can take this guy on the track. All 70 HP!

the safest route:
get her a ninja 250... practice and practice....

then maybe gxr750..

the 250 is excellent for its lightweight... and great for beginners.. however.. eventually she will have trade it up.. to something more powerful.

but if you buy a used 250 you can probably resell after a couple months / and at least 1000 miles of good practing miles... for not much loss.

its worth the practice and more forgiving then bigger bikes.. i would guess the sv650 would be the next best choice for beginner.

i know you said one bike.. without changing later.. so if you have to stick to that rule.. than the sv650..
smile.gif

My wife just started riding last year, I had a Katana 750, enough said on that, now we have a GS 500, much better bike, the Katana was too heavy for her, and had to much power for a rookie.

My girl started on a Katana 750 back in May and now owns a Hayabusa.

Just make sure to ride with her EVERYTIME so that you can explain to her what she is doing wrong (if anything). Also, she'll feel much more comfortable knowing you're around.

What does she want? Most new people to the game seem to have a slightly different view of their needs than may be condusive to actually learning the skills needed. For a First bike I would recommend something light with little or no bodywork and of course sufficient grunt to at least keep up on the freeway if she intends to ride with you. As several have stated already an SV650 fits the bill but also a big Dual purpose/Super motard bike like the new 400SM could be a good bet. Plus they could be a fun toy to go play on when she's not riding it.

Depending on her size/height, it's tough to go wrong with the Interceptor. I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 600. At the end of the day, a bike needs to be able to get out of the way, and a 250 is just to enemic when it comes to power.

my wife started on a honda rebel 250. it was perfect to learn on and to pass the riding test. kept it for a year and picked up a honda 700s.

the safest route:
get her a ninja 250... practice and practice....

then maybe gxr750..

the 250 is excellent for its lightweight... and great for beginners.. however.. eventually she will have trade it up.. to something more powerful.

but if you buy a used 250 you can probably resell after a couple months / and at least 1000 miles of good practing miles... for not much loss.

its worth the practice and more forgiving then bigger bikes.. i would guess the sv650  would be the next best choice for beginner.

i know you said one bike.. without changing later.. so if you have to stick to that rule.. than the sv650..
smile.gif
Im teaching my wife to ride on a Ninja 250. It doesnt have any low end power, but if you get the rmp's up there its not bad for a 250.

She will be enrolling in bike class soon. What would be a good first starter bike that would end up being suitable for hanging with the Busa on future rides?
her height/weight/strength/confidence level...is?

if she can do it...just her a busa.

then you won't drop a bunch of coin going frm one model to the next and losing out on re-sale,adverts,time,hassle.

if she's not up for the Bus yet....ya,sv650,ninja 500,etc.

its all about the twist,if you twist too much,you can get in trouble,even on a Vespa.

I wish her all the best.... RSD. (need pics of her on new bike too).
Ha! He recommended a Kawi! I knew he was a closet kawi lover!
biggrin.gif

Back