Gipro gear selecter

DEMMYM

Donating Member
Registered
I just installed this on my bike primarily for the gear selecter indicater, When I checked to see what TRE Mode it was in and it shows it to be off, My question is what exactly does the Map part of it do, It reccomends it to be in 5th gear map. Bit I would like to know what this means, and should I even bother turning it on.

P.S. I want to thank all of you that have answered my questions in the past, You all have helped me to decide on a Tobin seat that I love, answered questions I had on changing out the stator cover and clutch cover. and other questions I have had. I want you all to know I do appreciate it. The bike will be done ( well done for now ) Tues or Wed and I will take pics and post them.

Now please go back and read the first part of this letter and if possible inlighten me.

Thanks Michael D.

try it and see if you like it, TRE or no TRE becomes a heated discussion quickly, i personally feel Suzuki spent a lot of time and resources making gear dependant fuel and timing maps and dont mess with it, but it wont hurt or damage anything, some guys says it smooths out part throttle to put the ecu's timing and fuel maps into 5th gear all the time, i dont personally agree, but lots of guys like them.

I have the same set up on my bike. I have it primarily for the gear indicator. I had a tre on my bike before going to this module so I was already set up for one. The previous owner installed it. Anyway, when I got the GiPro, I turned the mapping off and just ran the gear indicator. My first hard trip out without it in the 5th gear map I made two passes on the Dragon and the bike felt a bit jumpy. I switched it back to the 5th gear map and it seemed to smooth out just a little. Now I said that to say this, it may all be in my head, but I got the bike with a tre on it, so no harm in running it like it is. I get 41 mpg consistantly so I am not sure if I am running rich or out of line in other gear fuel maps. I dont think you can go wrong either way.
Oh sorry, I just read your post again, and to answer your question. The speed eliminator is based on the 6th gear map in the oem ecu. If you install a tre, this fools the ecu into thinking the bike is in 5th gear while it is really in 6th. Mechanically nothing changes, you are just running a 5th gear fuel map in 6th gear so you can defeat the 187 mph speed limitation.

Last edited:
I personally feel it does settle 1st gear down a notch,theres times i like it on and theres time i prefer it of but since my bike was dyno'd with it set at 5th gear map I just keep it there now

try it and see if you like it, TRE or no TRE becomes a heated discussion quickly, i personally feel Suzuki spent a lot of time and resources making gear dependant fuel and timing maps and dont mess with it, but it wont hurt or damage anything, some guys says it smooths out part throttle to put the ecu's timing and fuel maps into 5th gear all the time, i dont personally agree, but lots of guys like them.
I agree, I don't want to run a 5th gear map thoughout all the gears, Suzuki didn't spend millions on Engineers and R/D to have someone rig up a device to have one map thoughout the gearing. I'm going with Smithabusa's GPS mod with switch so when I want to run unrestricted I can flip a switch do it, and still maintain my factory maps. Only way to go in my opinion.:thumbsup::cheerleader:

Last edited:
It's not a "Fifth Gear " map.

I believe you'll find it's selection number five.
The TRE has a variety of maps for other bikes.
Choice number 5 is designed for the Busa.

I use my Gi-Pro with the MAP option engaged all the time.
I have tried it both ways and found negligable difference in mileage but signicicant difference in leveling out low speed riding, through town and such.

Possibly the best mod I've made, next to the Pingel shifter.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think the TRE runs a 5th gear map in all gears. I thought it ran 5 different maps just like the oem ecu, but the difference being it uses the 5th gear map for 6th and 5th.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think the TRE runs a 5th gear map in all gears. I thought it ran 5 different maps just like the oem ecu, but the difference being it uses the 5th gear map for 6th and 5th.

thats how i understood it to work

i thought it runs on the 5th gear map but maybe i'm wrong. i own the gipro and in my mind, it feels like 1st and 2nd gear are a little more tamed than stock. i like it w/ the exception that the gipro has a delay sometimes and i get false gear readings every once in a while. all in all, it works for me and 5th was the recommended setting. as for fuel mileage, anything is better than a cage at this point. :laugh:

I run the GIpro on mine in the 5th gear mode. Normal milage is around 41 mpg. I bought in for the gear indicater and already had an Ivan's hoodek up so I just switched out the Ivan's for the GIpro. I have had no issues and really like the gear indicator.3

I agree, I don't want to run a 5th gear map thoughout all the gears, Suzuki didn't spend millions on Engineers and R/D to have someone rig up a device to have one map thoughout the gearing. I'm going with Smithabusa's GPS mod with switch so when I want to run unrestricted I can flip a switch do it, and still maintain my factory maps. Only way to go in my opinion.:thumbsup::cheerleader:
+2 Gregs switchable 6th gear only derestrictor is the ticket in my book as well :thumbsup: I tried a regular tre on my busa that locks all gears in fifth and didn't like it. At my altitude (5000+ft) it made the lower gears VERY jerky....the bike ran rich, it ruined the idle, and overall seemed to make the bike soggy throttle wise. I think Suzi knew what they were doing with their mapping :laugh: Plus Greg (Smithabusa) is one of the best guys I've ever dealt with....makes a VERY quality product and is lightning quick with shipping and any refunds :bowdown:

I run the GIpro on mine in the 5th gear mode. Normal milage is around 41 mpg. I bought in for the gear indicater and already had an Ivan's hoodek up so I just switched out the Ivan's for the GIpro. I have had no issues and really like the gear indicator.3

+1 :thumbsup:

Sorry thats not correct, a TRE is a 6.8K resistor (5th gear gear position sensor that goes back to the ECU), puts it in 5th gear all the time, except probably neutral i am sure they make it so it sees neutral so it doesn't idle funny on cold start ups.

TRE is for SURE 5th gear fuel and timing map all the time.

+2 Gregs switchable 6th gear only derestrictor is the ticket in my book as well :thumbsup: I tried a regular tre on my busa that locks all gears in fifth and didn't like it. At my altitude (5000+ft) it made the lower gears VERY jerky....the bike ran rich, it ruined the idle, and overall seemed to make the bike soggy throttle wise. I think Suzi knew what they were doing with their mapping :laugh: Plus Greg (Smithabusa) is one of the best guys I've ever dealt with....makes a VERY quality product and is lightning quick with shipping and any refunds :bowdown:

Big Red, I do greatly appreciate the positive feedback, thanks very much :)

Greg

Back