Gilles rearsets

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Im trying to find as much info as I can about the Gilles Rearsets, and would appreciate if anyone using them can post some comments. How do the Gilles compare to Rizoma, and Sato in terms of function and quality?

As much or less vibration compared to stock?

Are the Carbon Fiber heel guards strong enough to take the abuse the stock heel guards can take - maybe more?

What about mounting the rear brake master cylinder...I've read that it does and does not mount up...whats the scoop?

How is shift, and brake feel compared to stock?

In the most rearward position, are the rearsets flimsy or flexing?

Please post pictures of both the left and right rearset installed if you have some pictures. Really appreciate the input...big investment, and want to make the right choice.

Here you go...

Gilles_RS.JPG

Im off to work in a few minutes Val. gimme a call or PM me. They are awesome!

gillesrearsets.jpg

I really like these. They are very nicely made. However, there is more vibration with the gilles over the stock. After 600 miles my feet start going numb. Never had that problem with the stockers. Make sure you loctite every single bolt!!! Even the ones for the carbon chainguard. Especially the ones for the carbon chainguard:blush:

Josh, fit and finish is incredible. It could be in my head but shifting feels slightly more "effortless" than stock. Lesser missed shifts, not that I get many. Shifts kinda "snick" into place. Atleast "snick" is the feeling and sound I get. Not that its much of a word.

I bought them because I touched down and scraped a stock peg feeler while I was riding with a few of my Ducati/Aprllia riding buds. As impressed and scared as I was it was short lived. They laughed and snickered at the fact that my stockers were so low. One mentioned that if they were any lower I wouldn't need a kickstand. Another said that the rubber pads looked like the belonged on a Harley. So I had to get the Gilles.

Ok, now that I completely sound like I work for the company let me tell ya some negatives. Most not even worth mentioning.

1. I actually had my set before they hit the US market really hard. If I ever needed a replacement part I knew I was up sh!ts creek. Now that they are available in the US, replacement parts are just as hard to find.

2. (and this correlates to #1) Loc-tite the heck outta the fasteners. I didn't and lost stuff on my first 10 minute test ride. You will thank me for this one at some point.

3. Even in their most conservative setting for comfort the pegs are still backspaced 35mm and up 25mm. Don't quote me on the specs. It's been a while. But something like that.

4. No rubber pads means vibes, not to bad though. Vibes = numbness = fatigue. Really not to bad though. I guess if you want a race look and a race feel, ya gotta pay the price.

.02 Straight from chronicles of GrabN'Twist.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143503009 -->

I have the Rizoma's and they fitted up no problem.IMO,they look better than the Gilles,but that's just me.
The other thing to consider is that Rizoma is supposedly not making them now....

I have the Rizoma's and they fitted up no problem.IMO,they look better than the Gilles,but that's just me.
The other thing to consider is that Rizoma is supposedly not making them now....
I do like the look off the rizomas. Knowing they are not available anymore would confirm that I'd never get them unless they were discounted dirt cheap.

If you break one the other becomes a 4-5 hundred dollar paper weight.

Thanks for all the pics...much appreciated.

Grab, Sorry I wasnt able to give ya a call...working overnights this week. If you have some free time in the evenings, drop me a pm and let me know what is a good time to call. Im still on the fence with the Rearsets...big investment. I like the fact they give more positive feedback over stock.

How well do the CF protectors hold up? NJ yours are either very dusty or are they scratched up - Or is that just reflection...I think it is reflection now that i look at it better? And if they break, is replacement spendy?

I guess this would be one of my last mods I do for the year and wondering if ya had to do it over again, would you still put the money into the rearsets, or would you spend it elsewhere - like...umm...more Carbon Fiber....or
rock.gif
Im running out of things to do that dont involve serious $$$$$ into the motor.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: "NJ's CF = Reflection from sun/ flash ?"|1143545904 -->

Val, definitly worth every penny. They're lighter, nicer and more precise in shifts. if the carbon gets scratched honda polish will take care of it. The parts aren't as spendy as they are hard to find in stock. Thats why I was considering selling mine out and getting a new set.

Back