Gilles chain adjuster vs. 500HP Turbo Busa

I'm curious what you would suggest transmits the driving torque of the wheel to the frame?

The rear axle should be held in place by the static friction generated by compressive forces placed upon the the mating surfaces of the swing arm and the spacers. The compressive forces are caused by the elastic properties of the axle as it is placed under a tension load from being torqued properly.

cheers
ken

True!
But they are not designed to consider 500hp.
I would expect something more substancial, like a solid piece of Billet aluminum would work perfectly.

:laugh:

The rear axle should be held in place by the static friction generated by compressive forces placed upon the the mating surfaces of the swing arm and the spacers. The compressive forces are caused by the elastic properties of the axle as it is placed under a tension load from being torqued properly.

cheers
ken

So to answer my question in terms that I understand, you're saying a properly torqued axle nut will hold the wheel in place on the swing arm without the assistance of the adjustment bolts?

Just to make something perfectly clear I ALWAYS Torque my rear axle nut Tighter than Spec...as 500 HP is always on my mind when tightening it!!..and if you look at the new design of the gilles adjusters they redisigned the weak link which is exactly what initialized my failure!...Not the washer spacers...and Not the fact that the adjuster body wasn't drilled and tapped to the swingarm...Someone already hit the nail on the head earlier....The fact that there was no bolt adjuster in front of the axle nut but rather behind it causing the axle to pull on the adjuster bolt which is where the failure happened!...On the new style this is where the most important change has happened!

So to answer my question in terms that I understand, you're saying a properly torqued axle nut will hold the wheel in place on the swing arm without the assistance of the adjustment bolts?

Correct.

Torque your axle nut to the correct spec upon reassembly. If you are making 500 hp you are well past Suzuki's design limitations. (Not saying that's a bad place to be. :D )

Gen 1
72.5 ft/lbs

cheers
ken

rear axle nut torque.JPG

Last edited:
With no mistake, that is Howards beast! (over200) And he is supposed to be comming to the bash!
Even better and badder!

DSC00670.jpg

DSC00669.jpg
DSC00274-1.jpg

DSC00262-1.jpg

DSC00448.jpg

wow.... lot of money in that bike.... beautiful just gorgeous :thumbsup:

Can you explain why, when I loosen the adjustment bolts after applying the proper torque to the axle nut and then go ride my bike for a few miles, never exceeding 3500 rpm, the axle slides forward until it rests against the adjustment bolts?

Can you explain why, when I loosen the adjustment bolts after applying the proper torque to the axle nut and then go ride my bike for a few miles, never exceeding 3500 rpm, the axle slides forward until it rests against the adjustment bolts?

ok
I stand corrected, I'm wrong, your right, torque on the axle nut does not hold the rear wheel in place. the adjuster bolts do.

cheers
ken

I think it's more of a give and take with the axle tightening and the adjuster blocks. One works in conjunction with the other. Atleast that's my thought's...

Back