GI PRO vs GBC6 - Gear Indicator [video / pics]

smithabusa

Site Sponsor
Registered
This probably isn't the most un-biased comparison, but here goes :lol:

I had never actually saw a GI PRO in person, Rockadeous was kind enough to send me his to take a look at. Muchas Gracias sir!

Wiring is very quick and easy on the GI PRO just plug the gps sensor in and run a power wire. It's definitely easy to program the 4N44444, 5N55555, 6N66666, or 1N23456 setup on it using there 1 button programmer. The GBC6 just needs to be plugged into the Hayabusa's Euro connector for power and ground, and then into the gps sensor connector just like the GI PRO.

The display on the GI PRO is nice and bright, and HUGE! The GI PRO has an autodimmer function for night riding. My wife's bike has a double windscreen and it doesn't really fit between the top of the gauges and the bottom of the windscreen. In my opinion it looks a little out of place due to size (of course I have a biased opinion on this matter LOL). The case that holds the LED is black plastic, and holds are circuits inside, just a wiring harness exiting to hook into the GPS sensor, and a red wire to hook to power. The GBC6 has a seperate box for control (as it serves gear based outputs as well) with a small LED display housed in a billet aircraft quality 6061 aluminum enclosure (thanks BrendanP).

The GI PRO powers up with kickstand up and key on, or with kickstand down and in neutral only. For some reason if the bike is in gear and kickstand down, it won't power up. The GBC6 powers up as soon as the key is turned on regardless of gear or kickstand conditions.

As far as functionality on the GI PRO, I do notice that while cycling through the gears it will display 0 in between gears if you shift slowly. This is exaggerated if you watch the video sitting still in my garage as the gears dont cycle as fast as they would on the street. I have spoke with a few guys with GI PRO's who say they see 0's between gears when shifting slowly up or down. The GBC6 doesn't exhibit this condition regardless of how slow you shift, with the exception of neutral. A normal shift from 1st to 2nd doesn't seem to indicate a neutral condition on either unit. If you watch the video with both units running, the GBC6 actually corrects the GI PRO's tendancy to display 0 in between gears as the GBC6 doesn't output neutral in between gears.

Update rate on both units seem on par, they both update very fast, in the video with both units running the GBC6 updates first, but its hooked directly to the sensor and then outputting a signal to the GI PRO, so the appearance of the GBC6 updating faster is most likely due to the testing method.

On the GI PRO, if you wish to be de-restricted past 186 mph on a late model Suzuki, you will have to select a single gear mapping back to the ECU, either 4th or 5th gear all the time except when in neutral as the 6th gear output all the time will leave you hitting the governor in every gear. The standard output of 1N23456 will also leave you hitting the governor in 6th gear.

The GBC6 can be used as a 1N23455 de-restriction or a TRE type de-restriction like the GI PRO. I can program it for any gear output that you desire. I assume the makers of GI PRO could do this also with custom software if you are able to reach their software department for a special setup.

For Nuetral, the GI PRO shows a ZERO while the GBC6 displays a "N" for neutral, all personal preference i suppose, if someone wanted a 0 I could make it display a ZERO with custom software.

Pricing is the same, the GI PRO and GBC6 both MSRP at $160 + shipping. The GBC6 will also be available with 6 gear based outputs to run boost or nos controls for another $40.

Below are some photos and video showing operation of both units. More details to come when its not raining out and I can ride with both units on the same bike under similar conditions.

Overall, I like the GI PRO, if it weren't for the size I would have had one a long time ago most likely. This comparison is most likely biased as so far I like mine better :lol: :lol:

Greg

VIDEO BELOW, CLICK LINK
www.boostbysmith.com/Videos/gipro.wmv

gi4.jpg

gi3-1.jpg

gi1-1.jpg

gi2-1.jpg

Last edited:
holy crap it is huge :rofl:
your welcome sir. All in the name of busaology :thumbsup:
love the comparison. good write-up

in order to mount it above your gauges you'll need a Double bubble.

Last edited:
my broke azz wants one bad..:banghead:
Need to get Mary healed up and back in the truck, I'm getting behind in my mods.. :laugh:

Very nice! I need to add one of those to my 'wish list' :)

I have the GiPro and I like yours better and I am not bias,, just can't see a way of arguing it... you took to long to whip this bad boy out :banghead:

Cool thanks for the feedback guys, the GI PRO is pretty cool, if it weren't for the size I would like it a lot better.

Dang that is nice, Greg! The size of the GiPRO is the only downfall that I saw originally, and thought much about the mapping. May look into one of these. Can they be had with a red display?

just figured out something last night to brighten up the display some as well, left it on all last night and today to make sure it doesn't burn out, but should help daytime visability.

Back