GI Bill

Projekt

Registered
I am looking to take a shot at using the GI Bill for some continuing education. Maybe take a flight training course so I can run a helicopter or fixed wing. Yes I am bored and just exploring my options. I just want to know if any VETs here have ever exercised their GI Bill benefits. If so could you walk me through it.
I already looked at the limited information on the www.gibill.va.gov website.
It doesn't elaborate much more than to state maximum benefit amounts and general timelines.
Currently for my status I could receive a total benefit of over $37k over three years.
Pretty good for an initial investment of $1,200.

Used my GI bill to earn my Bachelor's degree.. There's really nothing to it. Most accredited institutions are familiar with starting this process and have a dedicated department ready to assist you. What they normally ask for is a certified copy of your DD-214 (if no longer on active duty).. Looking back, I'm thankful I took advantage of the GI Bill program.

Good Luck.
cool.gif

I use the GI Bill to augment Tuition Assistance for my classes; also very glad that I can take advantage of the program!

When did you enter the Service...
If before Jan 1, 1976 then you will have the old G.I. bill benefits...
The old benefits are for up to 10 years of College and some expenses, but I think there is a time limit to use them...

David

In a regular school its very easy to use. I also looked into using it for flight training and its a little more complicated. If I remember right, you only get about half of your benefits and everything comes out of pocket first, then you are refunded some of it.

Cool... Sounds like a plan.... I will just have to do the research through the specific educational institution. I would really like to use the benefits to pursue further education overseas but I haven't seen any information about that besides heresay...

(Projekt @ Nov. 07 2006,10:59) Dave I was born on March 20, 1976.
Damn, sorry. I was sworn in on Dec 29, 1975...
So I had the Old G.I. Bill. It was not like the newer Montgomery Bill crap where you had to contribute and so forth. I was allowed up to 10 years of full time College benefits, full tuition, books, other related materials, and also was allowed around 640 a month for other expenses...
So with that, I earned a Mech Eng degree in 4 years. After a few years I wanted to continue and earn a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and found that my benefits had expired due to the 10 year limit. Strange, No one told me it worked like that. I though 10 years was 10 years, to be used anytime. But the 10 years had to be used consecutively.
So I never went back and still regret to this day that I did not just keep going the first time and get the Masters...
So my advice young man is...
Contact the V.A. and get the specifics on the benefits you earned during your time in service...

David

(Devious @ Nov. 07 2006,05:flamethrowing:) When did you enter the Service...
If before Jan 1, 1976 then you will have the old G.I. bill benefits...
The old benefits are for up to 10 years of College and some expenses, but I think there is a time limit to use them...

David
I found out the hard way. I only had 3 mth left when I found out there was a time limit on the G.I. Bill.
sad.gif

Dont waste anytime Projekt and good luck however you decide to use it !!
beerchug.gif

Ty

Also what alot of people don't know is if you work for an employer that takes part in a state certified apprenticeship program you can also receive benifits from your GI Bill for on the job training. It does require a few extra papers to be filled out a month. But you get a monthly check for doing your job. Whether you are taking classes at a "school or not". Talk to any Va counseler they will tell you about a ton of good programs.

It was the best $1200 i invested.
beerchug.gif

There is a time limit on when you can start it. I think its within 5yrs of ETS, but I'm not sure.

I used it for my bachelor's degree and it helped a lot. I registered for a full load, the amount they pay is based off the course load, and I received a check once a month. I think you get less a month for flight training because they don't consider just flight training a full load.

(mofuggahere @ Nov. 07 2006,10:45) Also what alot of people don't know is if you work for an employer that takes part in a state certified apprenticeship program you can also receive benifits from your GI Bill for on the job training. It does require a few extra papers to be filled out a month. But you get a monthly check for doing your job. Whether you are taking classes at a "school or not". Talk to any Va counseler they will tell you about a ton of good programs.

It was the best $1200 i invested.  
beerchug.gif
Tru, most on the job training can qualify for the G.I. Bill, which means you can pocket some extra money while getting paid from your employer. Just ask your local VA rep.

Good call, Mofo.

Havent had to use GI bill yet... full tuition assitance so far. SLOWLY working on the Bachelors...

Make sure you talk to the VA first because stuff like they might pay for, then you still got your GI bill money

when I used my VA benifits, the state of Illinois also provided financial help for books. You may want to check your state for benifits they may offer.

(rtvegas @ Nov. 07 2006,03:08) Used my GI bill to earn my Bachelor's degree.. There's really nothing to it. Most accredited institutions are familiar with starting this process and have a dedicated department ready to assist you. What they normally ask for is a certified copy of your DD-214 (if no longer on active duty)..  Looking back, I'm thankful I took advantage of the GI Bill program.

Good Luck.  
cool.gif
Dito  
tounge.gif
, got my Degree with it  
biggrin.gif

Back