Ghost hose found......help !?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
So I am doing a 3,000 mile look see on my bike and checking the air filter and all that kinda stuff. Basically just playing and I find this hose not connected to anything. Page 1G-3 in the service manual refers to this hose as one of either the fuel tank drain hose or the fuel tank breather hose. In the attached schematic the unconnected hose is depicted in the inset window. I am attaching pics as well. In the inset window on schematic it shows the other hose as having the Y you see and one end tied off or not connected to anything and other hose connected to tank. On my bike as in pics both hoses from the Y on one hose connect to tank and the other as you see is just there.
This hose is one of the ones that are taped together with a heat wrap and hang down under your bike thru belly pan next to regulator.

Question is where does this thing go if anywhere ? I looked for almost an hour and as the two are taped together from the other end you cannot make it reach anywhere else. There are only two connections to the tank in this area that I can see and both are taken by other single hose with Y in it ?
Is this just another California extra that is there just in case bike is built for Cali ? The zip tie I put there just to hold it in place.

Please help and thank you in advance for it....

Ghost hose 001.jpg

Ghost hose 005.jpg

Ghost hose 006.jpg

Attachments

• Fuel hose schematic0001.pdf
    548.4 KB · Views: 324
It looks like the crankcase breather hose which may come off if the tank is lifted?
There is a fitting there somewhere FOR SURE that it goes on so keep looking.
Good luck!

Not 100% sure, but I think you will find they are the overflow hoses for the fuel tank. One to drain in the event of an overfill, the other to vent pressure and fuel when it heats up and expands.

I looked for over an hour !:banghead:
In the schematic attached from the service manual in the inset window it only shows one end of the Y and directs you to connect in to the fuel tank. You can see "D" in the inset and it says to the fuel tank but the other end of Y appears tied off in the inset. On my bike both ends of the Y are connected to the only two connections I can find and the other hose is just hanging there. As I said it is taped together on the other end under the bike so it is not like I can move it or stretch it to reach much more of any place other than where you see. By the elbow in the hose you can see it looks like it goes to something close by but DURNIT I don't see a thing. Could this be just an extra hose attached if bike had been a Cali model and not used on mine ?
Could it possibly have been disconnected and the other end of Y connected by perf shop for a reason needed when I did mods maybe ?
In the last pic you can see the only two connections coming off tank I can find in the area ? I dont see another open connection for this hose !:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Also if you look at attached schematic in the instruction part next to last line on right you see [A]: E-33 only ? ??? What does that mean ?
Again looking at schematic on the larger one not inset if you follow lines up it appears both connect to the two tank connections and one end of Y does not. It is diff but one line is white with black outline and the other is grey with black outline in schematic and both seem to go right to the area.
In inset you can see the 'Ghost hose' and it comes right up to meet ends of other hose so it seems to me it has to go to something in the immediate area and does not reach to anywhere else ?

Chit !:banghead: 1:30 am and like a song I cant remember the name of this is b-b-b-b-buggin' all heck outta me !

Last edited:
Mr Brown please elaborate ?
[Drain and breather hoses aren't connected to anything. They vent into the atmosphere.... /I]

I understand under bike they connect to nothing. Is that what you mean ? I am trying to figure out where and why top end of one is not connected to anything.
On top I have one hose that splits into a Y and ends obviously in two hoses and another single hose. All ends come to same point but on tank in this area there are only two connections ? :banghead:
I got three ends and only two connections and cant find anything else anywhere ? ???

Even looking at last pic again you can see how the end of the Y that is connected to the left connection on the tank is stretched over it. You can see how diff it looks compared to other as far as that point goes , other end of Y connected is not bulging out on the tank connect. Seems like I am using the one hose to do both things breathe and drain ? Is that possible for one hose to carry both those purposes ?

It looks like the crankcase breather hose which may come off if the tank is lifted?
There is a fitting there somewhere FOR SURE that it goes on so keep looking.
Good luck!

+1

The instant I saw that I said crankcase breather hose as well. Looks like it just got tucked in there by accident

Check and see if the crank case breather hose is connected from the motor up to the back of the airbox ( there is a small filter in the airbox on the inside in the back )... if it is there that extra hose might be for the Cali emmisions cannister that goes under the tail area.

I believe E-33 is California model. That hose would connect to the carbon canister for smog. It very well mey be that when the bike is assembeled, a hose "pack" is installed in the frame and to make assembly cheaper and faster (rather than switching parts for one application), they will use one hose "pack" for all bikes. I would just ignore it.

So I am ok having just the one hose split into a Y and connected to both connects on tank ? And it is ok for this one hose to carry both jobs as breather and drain ?
If that is the case I would like to remove it as I don't need the extra ounce of weight !!!!

So I am ok having just the one hose split into a Y and connected to both connects on tank ? And it is ok for this one hose to carry both jobs as breather and drain ?
If that is the case I would like to remove it as I don't need the extra ounce of weight !!!!

If indeed it is the tank drain, I don't think you should remove it. The 6 ounces of weight you lose would be very negatively offset by gas liquid and vapor dropping on a hot motor rather than venting below it where the factory designed it to go.....
I don't agree with Greg @ HPC on everything he says, but he does have a huge amount of experience taking the Gen2's apart and modifying them, you might take his advice on this......

She idles fine, let her run for about 15 minutes. Gonna take a ride up to the dealer here in a few with my minimaglight. From lower right side of tank you can see in area and hoses without touching bike. I do believe all of you and thank you for the suggestions and help. I figured that if it had been a Cali bike both hoses would connect and one end of Y would connect to some other extra equip on those models. Mine just seems like to be using one hose for both purposes. If that is the case then I will probably remove it as I have relocated rectifier/regulator and when I get back I will address the hoses then.
Again I do believe all of you but just like most of you I believe you would still wanna take a peek at another bike and since it is 78 already and blue sky it's a great reason to say
"Honey this is important and I have to go, back in uhhhhhh 2 hours":laugh:
Just love those motorcycle medical emergencies...:thumbsup:
MMMMkiss goodbye , see you later, BAAAAWAAAAHHHHHH UN AAAHHHHHH !!!!

Mr Brown again thank you as from reading this org all of you are more knowing about Busas than I. I think you still believe there is an unconnected connection on the tank ?
There are two on the tank that I can find. One for drain, one for breather per the manual. Both of these have a hose connected to them, repeat as you can see both are connected to a hose. It is just that both of these hoses connect to a little plastic Y that connects to only one of the hoses which run all the way down and out. The other hose is taped together by a heat wrap on bottom end of bike flows up along with other hose and connects to nothing.
By your comment about gas spilling out would you mean or be thinking that there is a THIRD connection I have not yet found or just that you think the gas would come from one of the two I see and are depicted in pics above if nothing was on them ?
I have no problem letting the one hose as it seems to have come from Suzi do both jobs as long as Blanca doesn't have a prob with it.
I just don't see any other connection where gas would come out other than the two that are in pics.

I just looked on a brand new Busa in my shop. The large hose is on the tank furthest to the left. Then one of the small hoses off of the Y is connected to the tank on the right hand side. The other is just there not connected on either end.

So remove the hose pictured on the left side and connect the large hose to it and you should be good. Must be a Cali thing as suggested.

Hope this helps?

I saw same thing at 3 new Busas at my local dealer, one in each color !
All the same, larger hose connected and one end of Y connected with other end not and just hanging ? Oh well hopefully the next guy will do a search here and find the answer before he stays up till 3am frettin' when he finds an unconnected hose . Since I have 3,000 miles with no problems I am inclined to leave it the way it is and remove larger unused hose. It has worked perfect so far thru at least 20 plus tank fulls. Never leaked a drop and thank God the wife has never complained about the smell of gas in the house, so it will be just well enough left alone.
Took a 10 mile ride there and a 40 mile ride home...:whistle::laugh:no probs .

Thanks all for the help...:bowdown:

Last edited:
Back