Getting low

thebbbusa

Donating Member
Registered
I just don't know. I just don't.

I must not ride as hard as some of you out there, because I've never come close to dragging my stator cover or scraping my fairing on the ground. Sure, I've scraped my shoe on a turn, but never much more than that.

While I feel it'd be nearly impossible to recover from being that leaned over and dragging something firm like a stator, many of you talk about doing it all of the time.

So, the question is...Are the guys/girls that are dragging their stators and scraping fairings in the turns not doing it right? Are they not getting off the seat and using their body's leverage? It just seems like you really shouldn't have to lean that far over if you're doing it right.

Can somebody fill me in?

just like you bro...scrape my toe boots once in awhile...maybe one day when i get to a track ill definitely try moving the whole butt thing and do some serious knee dragging action but until then...
race.gif

Dragging hard parts is good for bragging, but not good for riding. Just too big of a chance. With half right body position - moved to the inside, the knee should touch much sooner than any of the hard parts.

If somone can take it to the limit with the right body position - my props go to them. But, still too much of a chance.

So, to answer the question - don't do it on purpose.

__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

If you want to scrape parts just go in hot and in a low gear and let compression braking compress the front through the corner. That reduces ground clearance and causes hard parts to touch down.
wink.gif
A lot of times dragging parts only means poor form was used... from what I've seen in videos anyway. Also seems that most guys in the videos who are scraping hard parts are pushing the bike under something fierce. They may slide their ass off the seat and have their inside knee on the ground, but their upper body is usually straight up and their shoulders are usually almost dead parallel to the ground.

There are a few who are actually fast enough, and are pushing it hard enough, and leaning it far enough to scrape shid even when using *proper* form, but you don't see many of them either on the street or in the videos on the net. I think this topic is a lot like the ol' chicken strip topic. If you're using proper form you REALLY have to haul ass to *NEED* to use all the tire, yet somehow lots of riders view chicken strips as a guage of a street rider's abilities. It's always fun to see a guy with a few mm of strip left on his tires just wax that ass for someone who has rubber boogers rolled all the way to the edge of the tire.
biggrin.gif

So back to your original question... I'd tend to lean toward thinking the guys who are scrapin' hard parts are doing so because of poor form or technique rather than thinking they're doing something "right".
wink.gif

wink.gif

Dragging hard parts is good for bragging, but not good for riding. Just too big of a chance. With half right body position - moved to the inside, the knee should touch much sooner than any of the hard parts.

If somone can take it to the limit with the right body position - my props go to them. But, still too much of a chance.

So, to answer the question - don't do it on purpose.

__
Igor
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>
+1... Well said.
beerchug.gif

lower the bike onto the ground for drag racing and see how easy it is to scrape the plastics. Stock config, good luck, i run out of tire first and chicken out. I agree with the poor form. I can lean into a corner with body possition and hit it alot faster then with just counter stearing. I don't think it is a proud moment when you tear up a 11K bike.

If you want to scrape parts just go in hot and in a low gear and let compression braking compress the front through the corner. That reduces ground clearance and causes hard parts to touch down.
wink.gif
A lot of times dragging parts only means poor form was used... from what I've seen in videos anyway. Also seems that most guys in the videos who are scraping hard parts are pushing the bike under something fierce. They may slide their ass off the seat and have their inside knee on the ground, but their upper body is usually straight up and their shoulders are usually almost dead parallel to the ground.

There are a few who are actually fast enough, and are pushing it hard enough, and leaning it far enough to scrape shid even when using *proper* form, but you don't see many of them either on the street or in the videos on the net. I think this topic is a lot like the ol' chicken strip topic. If you're using proper form you REALLY have to haul ass to *NEED* to use all the tire, yet somehow lots of riders view chicken strips as a guage of a street rider's abilities. It's always fun to see a guy with a few mm of strip left on his tires just wax that ass for someone who has rubber boogers rolled all the way to the edge of the tire.
biggrin.gif

So back to your original question... I'd tend to lean toward thinking the guys who are scrapin' hard parts are doing so because of poor form or technique rather than thinking they're doing something "right".
wink.gif
+1
cool.gif

Here's a nice video that shows how much you can lean WITHOUT draging any hard parts. Stay with it for a few laps, and you'll see some nice passing in there too.
wink.gif

MotoVid Video of Blackhawk Farms - NESBA Advanced

wink.gif

wink.gif

ASIDE From all the good info above.  

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>WHERE YOUR RIDING AT MAKES A DIFFERENCE</span>

Where your at it's a lot tuffer than one might think.  Everything is flat and rounded with a right leaning crown making the right side that much further away.  Ive never dragged any hard part of the bike except the peg feeler and your feet will get there way before that dayum thing does.

On 670 going west from the east side 270 there is the beginning "S" curves.  You can get pretty low there but theres almost always a car there cause it's two lanes and you will need both.  Getting onto  IS71S from the same direction you can get it left pretty far but you will need to pushing some heavy speed and get it over pretty hard.  There arnt too many other smooth enuff trust worthy roads inside COLS.  Come over hea in my neck of the woods west ward and youll not only drag some bike parts but you'll swear youve seen the almight himself while you cuss yourself for being so stupid for trying too hard.  

Biggest thing I can say is go up to midohio track rental days with us and get some learnin and practice then you wont think about it when you need to.

East bound 70 from downtown approaching the main street exit where it rounds into a right curve looking down onto livingston shell station area.  If you hit it at about 130 in the far left lane and throttle into it you can drag that beatch all day.  You end up in the far right lane
smile.gif

Ever see the guys leave 7/11 and knee drag lane changes on 71S from 5th ave.  neat but kinda like doing endo's or stoppies.  Cute but hope I never have to learn to do it or use it.

Then theres the cols to spfld 9 min runs if your into higher speeds.

Better yet just watch the vids on the net under squids and enjoy our verticle riding positions.

JD

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127960983 -->

I never had to take my Busa down that low and I have hit some corners pretty frickin fast.

I hate it when i drag my fingers.

My mirrors are flat on the edges.

No, i'm not being sarcastic.....why do you ask?
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif

dragged peg feelers and tips of boots..I could touch my knee down on either side, but I didn't have pucks, so I wasn't about to do it.

Not too good of an idea to be draggin knees or hardware on the street, though. Too many uncertainties...you may never know when you may need to lean her lower or when you may need to flick her up quickly.

Not to mention all that dayum oil and loose gravel or dirt.

Maybe its an ego thing to some some riders to scrape away bike parts. To me, it only means, another degree or two of lean angle, and they're going to be; eating it, buying parts, or worse.
laugh.gif
Ride to have fun, and forget the rest.

"The secret of my success is to do what ever I needed to do, to fly tomorrow." [Chuck Yager]

dragged peg feelers and tips of boots..I could touch my knee down on either side, but I didn't have pucks, so I wasn't about to do it.

Not too good of an idea to be draggin knees or hardware on the street, though. Too many uncertainties...you may never know when you may need to lean her lower or when you may need to flick her up quickly.

Not to mention all that dayum oil and loose gravel or dirt.
Also not to mention, hello Mr. Police man....please come take me away!

I'm not a good enough rider to lean to the limit...that's why I want to get a track bike and refine my ridin skilz. I thought I leaned decently, but up at Road Atlanta Bronc3 caught me on video and I wasn't leaning for sheeeeeat. Hated to see it, but motivates me to practice.
Now to get momma to buy into the trackday thing....

Back