Getting bored with riding....anybody else go through this?

2Wheels2Live

Registered
Just wondering what other folks who've gotten bored with riding have done to get the thrill back? I've been riding for years, but lately it seems like I'm just going through the motions. Part of me will always love a good bike ride, but right now I'm having to force myself to ride my bikes to justify keeping them. I don't commute on them, just ride for pleasure. Any suggestions to get back the fun are welcome :beerchug:

Been there, done that, sold all my bikes and never rode for years. Then a buddy would visit with a bike, I would take it for spin and it would be the ultimate rush. Then started having dreams about an old bike kept for a ride once in a while, but waking up to nothing. So, I'm back and having too much fun.

The key is to mix riding with friends and have fun events. Like you, I don't use my bikes for commuting, it's just a great hobby.

Last edited:
I find something to do on my bike that I can't do anywhere else. May sound crazy but I talk to myself and I talk to God. That's pretty much the only quiet place I have where no one can bother me. Of course I stay focused on the ride and safety is paramount, but I use the time when I'm alone in my helmet to clear my head. That to me makes riding indispensible (sp?).

Been there, done that...
The key is to mix riding with friends and have fun events. Like you, I don't use my bikes for commuting, it's just a great hobby.
+1
I went thru a period of about 3 years where I had 2 bikes, and I dont think I rode 1000 miles between both of them. One of the other keys (for me at least) was NOT owning more than one bike.
I sold both bikes, bought an '06 Busa, and enjoy riding now more than I have in years, but that doesnt mean that I ride a lot... maybe a couple of thousand miles a year, but since I use my bike like 2 wheeled Prozac, Im ok with it. I ride when I feel like it, mostly to throw off the stress of the day... or the wife.
:banghead:

And I dont feel guilty if its a nice day and I dont ride... it is what it is, no more and no less. I love owning my bike, but its definitely just some nice icing on the cake of life... its not the cake itself for me.
:rulez:
:beerchug:

Just wondering what other folks who've gotten bored with riding have done to get the thrill back? I've been riding for years, but lately it seems like I'm just going through the motions. Part of me will always love a good bike ride, but right now I'm having to force myself to ride my bikes to justify keeping them. I don't commute on them, just ride for pleasure. Any suggestions to get back the fun are welcome :beerchug:

How many bikes in the stable???

Do you do group rides???

Do you have a girl an does she ride as pass or on her own bike???

I stopped riding cause I let fear get the best of me from an incident on the streets, but I was never bored. When I get bored I usually just twist the right wrist a little an BAM!!! I am excited again with the bike an riding:laugh:

Find some buddies to ride with and make some bike nights and meets, maybe a track day or two every year :thumbsup:

Take a long road trip on the bike. Nothing like the road and your bike.

I find something to do on my bike that I can't do anywhere else. May sound crazy but I talk to myself and I talk to God. That's pretty much the only quiet place I have where no one can bother me. Of course I stay focused on the ride and safety is paramount, but I use the time when I'm alone in my helmet to clear my head. That to me makes riding indispensible (sp?).

That is well said. I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

I run into this alot since i don't seem to have the time anymore to ride not to mention anyone i know of that will go riding with me is over 100 miles away which also puts a damper on things.

Variety. I like to master extreme slow riding on all my models. And even on my Busa some limited off road and rough dirt roads. I'll be 70 in 8 months and not bored. Sometimes I have to force my self to ride, because I'm afraid of all those stupid substance abusing scumbags, and the idiots who somehow get a license.

Kinda going through that now. Gov't gave me a take home for the last year saving gas money but it isolated me from a 45 min commute both ways. Plus wit two bikes it compounds the problem. And NE Florida is going through the summer rain patterns which sometimes hoses the weekends. Wish I lived in San Dieigo, for some roads other than straight too.

I've been riding my bikes everyday due to "budget issues".. it's hot, I'm sweaty and stinky all the time.. and yeah sometimes I dread throwing my leg over the bike...

I also find myself getting squidly cuz I'm bored.. I don't know how you daily commuter guys do it... I guess it doesnt help that all of our roads are flat, straight, and full of tourists... :banghead:

I have the dirt bike too. Two totally different disiplines of riding, each one makes the other never get boring. Twisties on the Busa today, flying through the woods on the KDX tomorrow. I'm always working on improving my abilities in both areas, a set of corners that needs improvement on the lines, a trail that needs to be riden smoother and faster.
Always something to improve. And to me, improving my skills and abilities never gets boring.
No road race tracks around here (plenty of twisties though, heh, heh:laugh:), but a thriving dirt racing community. That's the goal I'm focusing on now, harescrambles and enduros.
And as mentioned by others, I have close friends to ride with in both elements. But I enjoy a ride by myself too, riding in general just never gets boring to me.
My bikes are my sport, hobby, passion.. my anti-boredom.:thumbsup:

Even though I have been riding for over 45 years, I still love it more than ever.

Back