Getting back on a bike after 4 years of no riding at all. Safe?

umairhashmi

Registered
Im assuming ride a motorcycle is similar to swimming or riding a bicycle. Once you learn you will never forget it. I lost my 2006 Busa to theft back in 2010 and I am getting ready to buy another big sport touring bike. Would I have any issues? Of course Im going to take it VERY easy for a while until I get used to riding again.

You aleady know the answer to this. It is always important to take it easy until you get the confidence. Another big sport touring, wonder what that would be? :whistle:

Sold my 1986 Honda VFR 750 in 1988 and picked up my 2004 busa in april 2005...so 15 yrs later went down,they pushed it out into the parkinglot and i got on,fired. It up,and away i went,just like riding a bicycle with lots of power,but yes start slow and it will all come back,only thing different is the even worse than before cagers...

Im assuming ride a motorcycle is similar to swimming or riding a bicycle. Once you learn you will never forget it. I lost my 2006 Busa to theft back in 2010 and I am getting ready to buy another big sport touring bike. Would I have any issues? Of course Im going to take it VERY easy for a while until I get used to riding again.

There are almost no guarantees in life - so are you going to have any issues? ???

You say you are going to take it VERY easy - what more can you do? Maybe take a safety class?

Are you looking at new or used for your next bike?

If you have owned a Busa I doubt that you will have any "issues" more then most of the rest of us.

Think of it this way. I may not have had a 4 year break from riding but normally I have a 5-6 month break from riding every year.
Therefore I basically have to start over every year. At least once you jump back in the saddle you can ride year round. I wish I had your problem. :banghead:

Oh yeah - Just remember the golden rule.

Ride like everyone is trying to kill you - because they are, and you should be fine.

My girlfriend Lynne brought me a Busa in 2011 after me not riding a bike for 33 years.
Had a few problems with the weight and turning left or right.
Thought I might drop it.
Then with some advice from some org members it turned out fine.
Take it easy and I think you will be OK.

Back