Getting a little faster!

Got-Busa?

Donating Member
Registered
Well I finally got around to the track for the second time since picking up my bike. Starting to improve a little as my skill level improves!

First Pass: 60' 1.748 1/4 10.291 @ 136.79

Second Pass(BOG): 60' 1.802 1/4 10.354 @ 137.14

Third Pass(Wheelied): 60' 1.769 1/4 10.297 @ 135.96

Any good?

What do you guys think I can run with my weight(195) and a stock bike? Is my MPH about right for an "ALL STOCK" bike?

Also what kind of a ET/MPH will I pick up for every pound of weight I loose?

Josh

Where are you located?

Figure about .10 for every 20lbs-25lbs. loss and nearly a 1 mph increase.

So think about what the pro's or some awesome magazine staff riders run. Most of the guys they use are about 150lbs or less and run around 1.70-1.80 60ft. times on a stone stock bike. Thus a 9.75-9.85ET @142-147.

I am currently in Dayton OH but may be moving to Florida soon! Anyone know any good 1/4 mile tracks near Destin/Ft. Walton Beach?

What are some of you guys best 60's on a STOCK BIKE?

I would like to hit a 9.9 with the least possible mods. Once I reach that goal then I will go for broke, 9.5 then 8's!?!?! :super:

Well I finally got around to the track for the second time since picking up my bike.  Starting to improve a little as my skill level improves!  

First Pass:  60' 1.748 1/4 10.291 @ 136.79

Second Pass(BOG): 60' 1.802 1/4 10.354 @ 137.14

Third Pass(Wheelied): 60' 1.769 1/4 10.297 @ 135.96

Any good?

What do you guys think I can run with my weight(195) and a stock bike?  Is my MPH about right for an "ALL STOCK" bike?

Also what kind of a ET/MPH will I pick up for every pound of weight I loose?

Josh  
I did my first runs last night and compared to you I really suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could't go all out either since I didn'd have a kill switch with a lanyard!!!!! Local rules :sad: Anyway I went to New Englan Dragway in Epping NH. The condition were a little wet and allot of fog too but enough for excuses. Here is my numbers for the last #4 run that I really tried.

I weigh 260lbs
Bike: Akro full system with PCIII stock everything else.

60' 2.018
330 5.091
1/8 7.568 mph 100.17mph
1000' 9.693
1/4 11.454 128.05mph

There's obvious launch issues but what do you experts think???

:sad:

Criss123,

You aren't doing to bad for your first runs but it is going to take more practice. You really need to work on your starting routine. You want to get your 60' down as much as possible. From what I have read and witnessed for every tenth you knock off your 60', you can knock almost two tenths off your 1/4 mile time.

With that in mind, that should put you in the mid to high 10's! Once you get that figured out you will have the same problem as me. I can only go so quick due to my weight of around 200 lbs. With either of our best times, you can put an equally skilled but lighter rider on the same bike and he's going to run quicker!

So our options are: (1)Out ride them, (2)More Mods, or (3)Eat a few less happy meals!

I have been practicing 1, have 2 sitting in my living room, and am still working on 3! :D

Keep us updated on your improvements.

Josh :cool:

Ok. I'm no expert as far as telling you what to do based on what I have run on my BUS.

I've ran only twice on my bike 10 runs total. I usually run my Kawi turbo which is way different.

Anyhow here you go.

11.08ET @129mph w/1.92 60ft. time at 5300' altitude.
Mods are 16/40, BMC Race filter, small box mod.

Not bad considering I'm 275lbs w/leathers and up here at mile high.

The real problem I find with the Busas is the crappy clutch engagement. It's either on or off as far as the clutch or friction point......Get a Clutch cushion kit and modded Hub. Then you will be able to fine tune your launching abilities ie; sliding clutch out longer to achieve full throttle lock sooner thus awesome ETs. Not only will your 60ft. times decrease you should be able to lower your overall times just by getting to full throttle lock sooner.

When I do the clutch mods I should be able to turn at least mid 1.80 60ft. times at the very least. That should put me in the 10.80 range @130mph. I'd rather see 1.75 60ft. times and see 10.50's.

Good luck!!!

my bike is stock motor, stock wheelbase, running Ultimate4...

best 60' is 1.59 but run 1.62 consistently..
best 1/4 ET is 9.68, but run low 9.70's consistently. at 145mph.

just lowered, piped. 158lbs suited.

Cache,

Your times look pretty good. I think I could get a 9.99 out of mine stock but don't know if I can wait that long. I'll probably just install the clutch mod and lower it this week to get in the 9's! I'll keep you guys posted on my results.

Josh

Criss123,

You aren't doing to bad for your first runs but it is going to take more practice.  You really need to work on your starting routine.  You want to get your 60' down as much as possible.  From what I have read and witnessed for every tenth you knock off your 60', you can knock almost two tenths off your 1/4 mile time.

With that in mind, that should put you in the mid to high 10's!  Once you get that figured out you will have the same problem as me.  I can only go so quick due to my weight of around 200 lbs.  With either of our best times, you can put an equally skilled but lighter rider on the same bike and he's going to run quicker!  

So our options are: (1)Out ride them, (2)More Mods, or (3)Eat a few less happy meals!

I have been practicing 1, have 2 sitting in my living room, and am still working on 3!     :D

Keep us updated on your improvements.

Josh  :cool:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Josh. I don't get to the drag track much but I'll work on my 60' times as much as possible. This is my second go fast hobbie. I do road course with my E30M3 too.......

How do people launch hard with one foot on the peg (gear selector side)?:super:? I tried but it scares the hell out of me. I don't feel balanced enough. What's your technique?

josh why you doing the clutch mod??!! not neeeded for your setup......

crisss123, put your left foot on the peg, balance, and when u launch, bring your right foot up gradually.
technique=practice. thats it.

Cache,

From what I have researched, Suzuki didn't do the best job fixing the one piece clutch for 02 & 03, so I went ahead and got the 1-piece BDE mod. It should take out some of the grabby ness and it's quite a bit lighter so it has to help in the rotating mass area a little.

I am NEW to the bike racing scene so is there anything else I should/shouldn't be doing mod wise?

Criss123,

I tried the one foot launch and just didn't feel stable either so......

I went back to the two feet down and practiced working the clutch smoother. It seems to have helped; I dropped almost two tenths by going back to my old technique. You just have to get use to bringing your foot up quick after the launch. I refuse to put an Air-shifter on the bike so it just takes some getting use to.

Cache,

From what I have researched, Suzuki didn't do the best job fixing the one piece clutch for 02 & 03, so I went ahead and got the 1-piece BDE mod.  It should take out some of the grabby ness and it's quite a bit lighter so it has to help in the rotating mass area a little.  

I am NEW to the bike racing scene so is there anything else I should/shouldn't be doing mod wise?

Criss123,

I tried the one foot launch and just didn't feel stable either so......

I went back to the two feet down and practiced working the clutch smoother.  It seems to have helped; I dropped almost two tenths by going back to my old technique.  You just have to get use to bringing your foot up quick after the launch.  I refuse to put an Air-shifter on the bike so it just takes some getting use to.

Keep up the god work. You keep knocking 10's off you will be doing great. :D

Thanks Ninja Eater!

If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'll be out at the track for more practice. I'll let you know how things go.

I love these posts asking how to go quicker w/o mods.

Practice...Practice...Practice...

I'll tell you what those words are the most valuable words to abide to. I've seen incredible gains from just launching correctly and hitting my shifts extremely crisp. I should be able to get 1.65 60' times w/lowering, strapping and what? Practice, practice, practice....

Of course in my case, lose 100lbs. and hang on tight!!1 :bounce:

Yea, I hope to get to the track this week and line up with old Got-Busa? I am the rookie in the match. It would make him go crazy if I do come close to his time. :super:

(Dr. Evil)...........Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

Just have fun and don't hurt yourself, that's all that matters! ;)

Back