Getting a bit loose on the freeway

The Fletch

Registered
hey fellas lately i have been doing a lot of highway riding and when i lean in to a turn the front end gets the shakes a bit, enough to make me let off the throttle. what do you guys thing causes this? could it be improper tire pressure or suspension failure?(only have 5500 miles on her) anyway this is bothering me a lot what do you guys think it is

check tire pressure, and also check the suspension settings: compression, rebound, and preload. from the factory they are set up for a rider of 150lbs. if your weight is much different then it will affect the ride. also check for leaking forks, loose bolts, etc. or maybe you could have hit a big pothole and bent the rim. thats about all i know to check for. hope it helps.

Have you replaced the original tires???If not it may be time to do so...

If the bike is completely stock and you are getting head shake only when you lean, I'm thinking it could be your imagination during a bumpy ride? Most of the head shake issues are created by the forks being to low but that is usually at high speed. I can't imaging anything causing the head shake just while leaned over? Especially if you havn't tinkered with the suspension?

My suggestion would be to have someone else ride the bike and see if they get the same shake?

Along with the above, check your tire alignment based on front to rear tires. If they are not trued, you'll get a shake your speaking of and a front tire slide.
cool.gif

Tire pressures, wear, alignment, steering head bearings and suspension settings are all free to check. Your steeirng damper should take care of any low ampltude oscillations, but you may want to check it and its fittings while looking things over too.

- is that section of freeway "dippy"?
- are you doing the speed limit?  ;)
- try these suspension settings:
http://sportrider.com/bikes/146_suspension_settings/index8.html
i wanted to try these settings myself but they don't tell you what the weight of the rider should be.
nick
I'm 240#.  Added 5 rounds of preload, 2 clicks stiffer each of rebound and compression front and 1 1/2 rounds of preload 2 clicks stiffer each of rebound and compression rear.  I don't know if it is optimal, but it is a world better than stock for my weight.

<!--EDIT|BusaWhipped
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153195797 -->

the bike is stock height never touched the suspension settings, new tires this year both same as original i weigh about 190, it for sure gets the shakes its not my imagination i am only doing 90 no crazy speed. last year it wasnt doing this which is why i ask, maybe its time to upgrade the steering dampiner?...? or suspension is messed up?...?

the bike is stock height never touched the suspension settings, new tires this year both same as original i weigh about 190, it for sure gets the shakes its not my imagination i am only doing 90 no crazy speed. last year it wasnt doing this which is why i ask, maybe its time to upgrade the steering dampiner?...? or suspension is messed up?...?
I would look at your steering head bearings first.

steering head bearingor check your front wheel bearings. If you overtightened them they may be worn out now just a thought.

+ on front bearings & stearing bearings. Steering is easy to check, when sitting on level ground and feet planted, lift/push the bars up/forward. If ANY movement, replace them. Tire bearing similar, needs 2 people do a side to side on the tire, any movement... replace.

Back