Gettin ready for the bash

Burger King

breakin' the law
Donating Member
Registered
We are getting closer so I'm trying to get ready for the ride to NC. I was getting close to needing new tires as the nail that had been in my tire for 2500 miles finally began to leak air. I had to install a plug to get to work so I said its time to break down and get new tires. I have run the stock Bridgestones and then put on a new BT014 rear. I tried a set of the Dunlop Qualifiers next. Great sticky tire just couldn't get more than 3000 out of the rear. Michelin Pilot Powers next. Another great tire with a V profile making lean ins much quicker and sticky too. Again only abouy 3000 miles on the rear. I decided to try the Michelin Pilot Roads last time and they have great wear or else just more rubber. I never tried them in the mountains for stickyness but for around  here they were fine in all the curves I threw at them. I got close to 9000 miles on them and they still had another 1000 miles to go but the nail made an early end of them. I was starting to get a little vibration out of them and a little hop under hard front braking. So.........this time I'm trying the Metzler M3. So far they feel great (what new rubber doesnt?)

okay....new tires, now I need to check my valve clearances after 22000K. Yea I know I was suppose to do it at something like 17500/18000K! Thanks to GIXERHP for letting me hold the shim kit and JINKSTER for the cool write up and pics. Made the job go much faster and easier than just reading the service manual.

Got them checked and all were within spec. None on the high or low side so I left them as is. Put in new spark plugs while I had the old ones out and checked the throttle body sync while I had the air box off. Sync is good which kind of supprises me. On the hot 85 degree days we had a week ago the engine sounded like it was having some spark detonation problems when I started off in first gear. Kind of like I needed to run a higher octane gas. Usually the carbs will be out of sync just enough to cause that sort of noise. I then looked at the manual and found out that the spark plugs are suppose to be changed every 7500K. I had only changed mine once at about 5000K so I had 17000K miles on these plugs! DOH!! New plugs did the job.

Okay now I might as well change the oil while I'm here. I have the Mobile One MX4T and a Purilator filter. Changed and documented.

Now with 22000K it's time to change the chain and sprockets. Charles at streetntrack has the EK 530 ZZZ and new 17/43 sprockets on the way to be delivered tomorrow.

Now all I need to do is order a set of Pazzo levers and I think I'm ready to head to the bash.

Can anyone send me a start from the money tree in their back yard?  
biggrin.gif

I married my money tree!
SHOCKED.gif
I wish I needed tires, that would mean I rode more.
all_coholic.gif

(05BusaLe @ Apr. 09 2007,14:24) I married my money tree!  
SHOCKED.gif
 I wish I needed tires, that would mean I rode more.  
all_coholic.gif
Does she have a sister? haha ..........by the way, where are those march mileage results??

Back