Gerbing Apparel...Heated Gloves, Jacket, etc....

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
Ladies and gentleman....anyone have any experience with Gerbing apparel? I've heard them mentioned on this forum a while back. Will they keep you warm in Chicago in January and February where we get temps down to zero. While I prolly wouldnt ride when its that cold, I did take a spin yesterday in 28 degree weather and my hands were very cold.

Would the Gerbing Jacket and Gloves keep you warm in say 20 degree to 40 degreee weather? Before I spend $400 bucks on this stuff I'd like to know if it works....

Ladies and gentleman....anyone have any experience with Gerbing apparel?  I've heard them mentioned on this forum a while back.  Will they keep you warm in Chicago in January and February where we get temps down to zero.  While I prolly wouldnt ride when its that cold, I did take a spin yesterday in 28 degree weather and my hands were very cold.

Would the Gerbing Jacket and Gloves keep you warm in say 20 degree to 40 degreee weather?   Before I spend $400 bucks on this stuff I'd like to know if it works....
I think there may be some better alternatives if your not going to be in the cold A LOT. OTherwise sounds like your spending too much...

Here's a review From Webbike world on Gerbing...

I used to see some gloves and such that used the little Heater packs, might provide what ya need for just occasional use...

Here Ya Go! Biker's Comfort in Action & Rukka Windproof Underwear... From Dem' Helpful Finns...
smile.gif

As Reviewed by WebBike World...

I Love webbike world BTW... And everyone should check them out, all sorts of good Intel...

Heated gear is the only way to go when the temps drop. You can wear all the high tech underwear you want, but you'll still end up freezing your nads off. The beauty of electrics is you don't have to have all those layers of clothing and end up looking like the Michelin man. I just use a Widder vest over a long sleeve T shirt, then my jacket. Add the gloves and I'm quite comfy down into the 20's. The review on webbike world is a little goofy. I think the guy actually thought the liner was an outer garment? Anyway, he obviously didn't know how to use the thing.

Nah Course he doesn't... What would you expect... Though Widder is the name I was looking for other than Gerbing... I knew there was another company...

How about the Gloves? You tried the electrics?

I have a pair of the Gerbing gloves, and I've never regreted one penny of the money I spent on them. The Gerbing gloves have heating elements down each finger, and not just in the palm/back of the hand. It makes a big difference when you can keep your fingers warm too.

I've only tried the Gerbings, so there may be other manufacturers out there that will perform just as well.

Oh......I have used them while riding in 24 degree weather, and I actually got a mild burn on my thumb when I didn't turn them off soon enough. I didn't want to spend the extra $50 dollors for the thermostat.
wow.gif
The "thermostat" is just an adjustable cycling timer that turns the gloves on/off. It doesn't actually cycle based on glove temperature.

I've been wearing a Gerbing's jacket liner and gloves for three years and with three different bikes. The one I have now is dual-wired, so I can adjust the temp of the gloves and liner independently. I will never ride without electric gear again. If it's very cold (on a bike at speed, <40degF) and you're moving at any speed, any insulation you have will only work so well -- heat is always being lost. If you dress up too much, you lose feel and control, making riding more dangerous.

The electric gear adds heat to your system rather than trying to prevent loss. That's a big difference -- even a little bit added just to your top (body's core) helps keep the rest of you toasty. Add the gloves and your fingers retain complete feeling and control. I've tried heated vests and the complete Gerbing's liner and I can't live without the Gerbing's -- frozen arms suck, and the plugs for the Gerbing's gloves come out at the cuffs of the jacket liner, making using the gloves very straightforward.

The only hitch is power -- watts, to be exact. The liner takes 77w, and the gloves about 12w (both when up all the way, which doesn't happen until you're below 20degF). I don't wear a pants liner and haven't needed one, but you can get one that hooks up to the jacket liner.

The Gerbing's gear I have uses a BMW-style powerlet plug. I got a fused, weatherproof, 15amp powerlet kit to mount on the 'Busa's inner fairing (generic sportbike kit) from http://www.powerletproducts.com .  I save watts elsewhere by using HIDs (saves ~20w each). The reason for this concern is that the 'Busa's alternator is good for a sportbike but has than 100w to spare with the low beam on.

Lastly, this setup lets me commute in winter.

The jacket liner and gloves work so well I don't have to wear long underwear, wool pants, or whatever -- just the Gerbing's stuff, my regular gear (incl. armored Gore-Tex overpants) over my work clothes, and I carry some civilian footwear in a backpack on a tailpack. If the weather is so-so but might change, the liner and gloves insulate well enough themselves, so you can just carry the wiring/controller in your pack in case it really gets cold.

<!--EDIT|mcoyote
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104466522 -->

Gerbring Performance review

From your experience it seems that a full fairing windjammer isnt necessary and the Busa generator puts out more than enough juice to handle a Gerbring vest and gloves with no problem , providing that your running a HID setup, good lQQkn out, Playa.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104479156 -->

Remember folks..I am an idiot....

What does an HID hookup do?

Can you run Jacket and gloves on stock busa without HID? Or will you screw up the bike?

Can you run Jacket and gloves on stock busa without HID?  Or will you screw up the bike?
Hid = More light for less Amps [/b](electricity) EG more Electricity to play with stuff like Heated gloves.

I have the Gerbing heated gloves and socks without the jackes liner or pants. I am in the Seattle area where it is cold and DANK in the winter and although I do love the Gerbing stuff Good leather is Most important to me!

2 Buku

Can you run Jacket and gloves on stock busa without HID? Or will you screw up the bike?
HID is short for "High Intensity Discharge". It is a type of lighting.
biggrin.gif

These are the really white looking headlights you see on some of the higher end autos and custom vehicles.

EDIT: By using an HID lighting system, you are reducing the overall amperage draw of your electrical system, therefore, you will have enough leftover power to run accessories such as heated clothing. Hope this helps.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104515720 -->

Can you run Jacket and gloves on stock busa without HID?  Or will you screw up the bike?
Yeah, what they said.

The stock headlights draw around 55 or 60w each, and HIDs are typically 35w. A buddy of mine who's done a lot of cross-country/long-distance riding on his 'Busas has tested the usage extensively, mounting a voltmeter on the dash to keep track of things.

Basically, two people can run jacket liners or one person can run jacket and pants or gloves with both (stock) headlights on at highway speeds (higher RPMs, alternator runs faster). At lower speeds, it's necessary to switch off the high beam to avoid discharging the battery.

That's the worse that's going to happen, BTW. When the draw is too great, the alternator can't keep up and the battery will slowly discharge, to the point that it dies and needs a jump. You can tell when this is happening if your system voltage is below 12v.

(...Incidentally, jumping a bike is different than jumping a car...don't do it from another bike or from a car/truck that is running -- you can jump from a car/truck if it's off, however...)

HIDs just give you a margin for stop-and-go riding in cold weather (worst for a bike's charging system) and also generate a heap of more light.

I've been on small bikes with heated gear and seen discharging happening before it's too late -- headlights dimming at stoplights and such. In those cases, I just turned down my gear, the bike contines to run ok, and when speeds pick up again I dial the heat back up.

<!--EDIT|mcoyote
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104517523 -->

As usual, you guys are a fountain of information. Thanks.

A great new year to you all....

Yeah, what they said.

The stock headlights draw around 55 or 60w each, and HIDs are typically 35w. A buddy of mine who's done a lot of cross-country/long-distance riding on his 'Busas has tested the usage extensively, mounting a voltmeter on the dash to keep track of things.

Basically, two people can run jacket liners or one person can run jacket and pants or gloves with both (stock) headlights on at highway speeds (higher RPMs, alternator runs faster). At lower speeds, it's necessary to switch off the high beam to avoid discharging the battery.

That's the worse that's going to happen, BTW. When the draw is too great, the alternator can't keep up and the battery will slowly discharge, to the point that it dies and needs a jump. You can tell when this is happening if your system voltage is below 12v.

(...Incidentally, jumping a bike is different than jumping a car...don't do it from another bike or from a car/truck that is running -- you can jump from a car/truck if it's off, however...)

HIDs just give you a margin for stop-and-go riding in cold weather (worst for a bike's charging system) and also generate a heap of more light.

I've been on small bikes with heated gear and seen discharging happening before it's too late -- headlights dimming at stoplights and such. In those cases, I just turned down my gear, the bike contines to run ok, and when speeds pick up again I dial the heat back up.
Just found this thread as I am thinking about the heated gear. If I understand correctly, on a stock headlight busa, it would be possible to put the vest + gloves on with the low beam only at normal speeds.....higher speeds high beam on as well? Stop and go....heated gear off?

Also, is there any difference in wattage requirements between the Gerbing and Widder gear?

Thanks for clarifying.

I think you've got the on/off loading with the headlight thing about right.

As far as the wattage issue...you'll probably need to e-mail the company and get specs on each piece of gear. They may have it on their web site though.

Good Luck
cool.gif
The gear does work well though.

Back