Genmar and helibar

SpeedAdict

Gabe
Donating Member
Registered
For anyone that is using genmar riser and Helibars, Did you have to extend your cables, or just re route them? If you extended them where did you buy the extended cables?

Ditto, I'd like to know also. I currently have a set of heli bars and was wondering if I could add reapers risers to the helibars. Also I have goodridge lines on the bus also.

I put a 1.25inch genmar on my 06. I did not have to reroute anything. the only thing i did was to move the brake and clutch inward towards the center and tilt them just a little to avoid hitting the inside of the windscreen, which is stock. I did have to remove the bolt that holds the brake cable to the front frame and allow the cable to come up. i then just bolted it back to the frame. the clamp is just a little under were it was supposed to be on the brake cable. i was a little concerned about that because the cable has like a special slot sorta thing for the clamp to go around it at that specific point and when i raised it i ended up putting the clamp back on below that point. didnt change anything and the dealer mech. i use looked at it and said it was fine. no problems at all. it made all the diff. in the world in my upper back thats for sure. well worth it!

i have the 3/4 genmar riser and helibars on my busa only had to reroute the choke cable , but i was warned that i should extend brake lines and cluch lines or keep the front wheel on the ground cause the forks extend when the wheel is in the air so just make sure everything has enough slack

1.25" Genmar and Helibars here. I was skeptical of the brake and clutch line length and wanted braided lines anyway so I ordered them +1.5" they fit perfect! On my last bike I had a set of Russel braided lines and when I got my forks sag set right they were perilously short and I was fearful that a wheelie would stress them too much. So I was just being cautious this time around. The Fast idle and throttle cables are fine after the reroute.

I would advise you folks be real careful about not changing lines/cables...at first I put my genmar riser on without buying new anything...just moved the controls further inboard on the bars about 1/2" and re-routed the fast/idle (choke) cable under the tank between the bolts like everyone else did and there's just no denying that even this set-up puts undue pressure on the stock hydraulic clutch line at full lock right...two weeks later I changed out lines to SS braided goodridge all around...dual front brake, clutch and even rear brake (not that the rear brake is an issue here but...) and besides the pressure on the stock clutch line?...that re-routing of the choke cable turned out to be a loser as well..and 6 months later I noticed that the lower left bolt connecting the top-plate/genmar too the upper triple?...had worn a hole through my choke cable casing...caught it in time though...and the cable wire itself was undamaged so I just sealed up the casing by appling about a foot of black heat shrink tubing...recoving the cable.

I wouldn't screw around here folks...we're toying with something that has the potential to hang up your steering and/or damage your lines/cables....especially the hydraulic clutch line..oh you can "Get Away With It" but I still feel such is ill advised...but?...it's your bike and your life..and even one spent is far more than chinsing out on this mod deserves....do it right....get the proper length lines...and..

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Anyone got links to where I can buy the extended throttle, clutch, and brake lines? Do we have any board vendors that carry this as a package?

I just installed the Heli bars on my 2005 and followed the instructions and routed the idle cable through the two tank cover bolts. Other then that no other mods were required.

Hope to post pic's of my Cycle-cat bar riser install very soon.... These things are SICK with adjustments! I can't imagine life without them, just switched from the 1.25 Genmar... Best of all Cycle-cat reworked my throttle cables and fast idle cable "All" included in the price. I never liked the whole re-route thing but it never gave me any real problems. Guess I was lucky! Pic's just as soon as the cables come back from the vendor with a full report of course.

I have the 1.5" genmars and they are a stretch but I got them to work. They were "TIGHT" but they worked for 2.5yrs. I just got braided lines and I ordered them 2" longer than stock.

Back