GENII Rear Turn Signal Switchback Mod

Well, its that time of the year to spend money an add mods to the bike.
I installed some Orange / Red Switchback LED's in the rear pods (Red Tail lights and change to orange when turn signal / hazzards are on and some dual 1157 orange bulbs in the front turn signal pods.
Also working on retrofitting the front headlight with an Xenon HID Projector and shroud tired of the scattered HID from the refelctive halogen headlamp.

[video=youtube_share;_mG99qfP61s]http://youtu.be/_mG99qfP61s[/video]

Looking forward to the retro fit mod. If you could take lots of pics.

Looking forward to the retro fit mod. If you could take lots of pics.

OK
The GEN5 Maxima HID Projector plan didnt work out to well, FAIL! After hacking up my 300.00 headlight to fit the 3" projector it was to long leading back into my gauage cluster assembly :banghead:, So now I sit with my headlight assembly in a gazzillion pieces and hacked with a 4" hole I am starting to read and think I am going with the Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 5.0

im going to do this... but only have the red come on when i press the brakes , and when both the brakes and turnsignals are on the red light wont blink (AO) not (AW) type bulbs.

my question for you is how hard was the mod its self? did you but 1157 sockets or did you just buy the internals and install them in your plastic housings?

im going to do this... but only have the red come on when i press the brakes , and when both the brakes and turnsignals are on the red light wont blink (AO) not (AW) type bulbs.

my question for you is how hard was the mod its self? did you but 1157 sockets or did you just buy the internals and install them in your plastic housings?

If you solder and use shrink tube its an easy mod.
I just purchased the 1157 metal inserts from my local auto parts store and used the oem plastic outter shell. They slip out and the 1157 socket slips in. I used a littleb plastic weld to hold it solid.
I had to use relays cause my switchbacks used the red as the dominate color.
Also don't forget your inline load resistors to prevent the hyper blinking. You can buy 8ohm 5watt resistors from your local radio shack for a couple of bucks.

When I did mine, I wanted the rear turn signals on all the time as parking lights but it is illegal to run amber parking lights except when turning. So I replaced the single filament amber bulbs with 1157 dual filament 30-LED bulbs. The original sockets are a press-fit and everything replacement 1157 socket I tried had a different thickness. So I measured, drilled, and cut the 1157 offset channel to accept the bulb. I purchased a replacement dual bottom contact to run parking lights, brake lights and turn signals. You will need a Hopkins trailer relay $15 at Autozone, to wire in. The Hopkins treats the turn signals like a trailer and does all three.

I added three times the light when braking. And just for good measure I added an $8 brake strobe ahead of the Hopkins to blink 20 times in two seconds and then go solid. Works perfectly...the LED's are brighter than the original tail lights...if you need pics let me know. I have the tail off installing the Rostra Cruise...

Lankee, did you ever retrofit your headlight? I'm thinking of trying it but want some feedback from someone who's already done it....:please:

Yes, its done. If you go with the Morimoto Mini h1 it should be a fairly simple mod.
My retrofit just got intense due to a change of projector since my orginal idea didn't work.
No problem removing the clear lens just pop it in the oven at 200 for 10 mins. Seperates simple.
While you are in there shave the high beam curtain to prevent the lights in the trees during hid hi beam.

Are the sockets the same from gen 1 to gen 2 meaning can I use the taillight from a gen1 on the lights of a gen 2

Are the sockets the same from gen 1 to gen 2 meaning can I use the taillight from a gen1 on the lights of a gen 2

Well, its that time of the year to spend money an add mods to the bike.
I installed some Orange / Red Switchback LED's in the rear pods (Red Tail lights and change to orange when turn signal / hazzards are on and some dual 1157 orange bulbs in the front turn signal pods.
Also working on retrofitting the front headlight with an Xenon HID Projector and shroud tired of the scattered HID from the refelctive halogen headlamp.

[video=youtube_share;_mG99qfP61s]

Where can I purchase the yellow/red switch back bulbs for the rear?
Thanks

Back