General rule of thumb for lowering front and rear proportionally?

Eddie

Registered
Is there a general rule of thumb for lowering the front and rear proportionally? How much would you lower the front (by raising the forks through the top tree) for each of the available positions with a Brocks rear lowering link?

There really is no general rule here, when you lower the bike you are changing the suspension geometry!
Some methods are better than others, but there is no way to keep the bike proper geometry with over the counter lowering methods!

There really is no general rule here, when you lower the bike you are changing the suspension geometry!
Some methods are better than others, but there is no way to keep the bike proper geometry with over the counter lowering methods!

Yes, I know the geometry is changed and I know the bike will no longer handle the same. Just curious to hear if anyone has played with different heights in relationship with front to rear to keep the amount dropped proportionate.

They should at least be the same.
So with that said, if you lower the front, an inch, lower the rear an inch!

On my 2012 I dropped the back 2.5 inches and dropped the front .5, this is my preference. It helped keep a little of my weight off my wrists and shoulders. And honestly cant really tell unless you take out a tape measure.

i did a 2.5 drop in the rear for mine and didn't do the front, a bit wierd on the turns, might just be me tho.......

Well just an FYI here. the more you lower the front,, the heavier the steering, if yuo where to reverse it and go higher in the rear as to the front the steering would be quicker!

I lowered my '06 1 1/2 up front and 2 in the rear and it made the bike look level. It looked good to me. I used reeper risers and lowering links on the rear.

I believe the Brocks lowering link allows 2" and 3" drop in the rear. How much drop is allowable by slipping the forks up in the tree?

I believe on a gen2 you can go 2 inches, with out any thing hitting around the dash!

But the lowers will take the abuse on bumps! \

I do love the way Busas look slammed, but the fact is I do enjoy the twisties. I don't think it would stay slammed for long before I ended up putting it back at stock ride height.

Make sure to keep in mind of the fork taper. If you go more that .75 inch, part of the lower clamp is not going to be gripping the fork. That's something I was not comfortable with so mine is down .75 in the front and 1 in the rear.

Make sure to keep in mind of the fork taper. If you go more that .75 inch, part of the lower clamp is not going to be gripping the fork. That's something I was not comfortable with so mine is down .75 in the front and 1 in the rear.

Ditto on that, I had to prove to myself there was a taper on the forks when I lowered mine...just because I wanted to go lower, but sure enough there was a taper on them. :)

I know you are talking from a leveling stand point, but think about this also...depending on what you are actually wanting to do with it you may want to set it up differently.

If you look at the bikes at the drag strip, a lot of them like to lower the rear end until the belly wing is just barely off the ground making it lower than the front (I assume this puts a little more weight on the rear tire providing traction)

If you look at some of the faster bikes running LSR you might notice their rear end is slighter higher than the front end. (I would assume this might be for better aerodynamics on the front end since most of these bikes have been in a wind tunnel for adjustments)

If you just want it level to "look" level then that's a different story. You might try measuring both front and rear at stock level and then again once you lower it. Good luck!

Problem is the Brock's link only allows for a 2" or 3" drop. Dropping only an inch in the back isn't an option.

After reading all of this and talking with sixpaxk77 yesterday i raised mine back up to where the fork tubes are even with my tree. It seems to be a little lighter feeling in the front now. I had it where the forks were through .375 or 3/8 of an inch. It looked great but never felt good in the handling area. You really cant tell that much of a difference in the look. I have the Brocks 3 hole ones on the back of mine with it in the middle hole. Here is a pic of it now

DSC_0007.jpg

Back